Old 03-26-2008, 02:30 AM
max

Default Fedora 9 Live Beta Locking up

Jim wrote:
Running Live CD Fedora 9 Live Beta, on a Laptop, while booting it locks
up just after the line;

"ACPI: EC: Lookup EC in DSDI"

I put CD in a PC and it ran all the way through and loaded Desktop.
What is it on Laptop that would cause a Lockup??

ACPI = Advanced Configuration and Power Interface

The rest of the line is greek to me but you might try fiddling with the
BIOS settings. You don't say what kind of laptop you have but sometimes
BIOS features have to be turned off to get things off the ground. Don't
quote me here but I think DSDI is related to debugging so i would look
for something related to this in the bios and try to disable it or
enable it depending on its current status. You can always, if you get
into trouble, restore defaults in the bios and also there is usually a
way to load optimal settings in the bios, which could solve your problem.

Max

Old 03-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Matthew Saltzman

You'll want to post this on fedora-test or fedora-devel lists. That's
where the folks working on F9 are.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 03-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Jim

max wrote:

Jim wrote:
[...]

I added to the , pass onto kernel line "acpi=off" and it started to
boot until it got to the point of detecting mouse,

is there any commands i can send to kernel to bypass mouse detection ?
Error message below;

"input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as
/devices/virtual/input/input0 PNP: no PS/2 controller found.

Probing ports directly."

This laptop is a Everex Cloudbook and it has no PS/2 mouse connection,
if you want a external mouse you will have to connect to USB .

It amazing, this laptop has no problem booting into Fedora 8.
I would look at this as a bug, wouldn't you ??

Old 03-26-2008, 02:28 PM
William John Murray

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 11:20 -0400, fedora-list-request@redhat.com wrote:
> I added to the , pass onto kernel line "acpi=off" and it started to
> boot until it got to the point of detecting mouse,
> is there any commands i can send to kernel to bypass mouse detection ?
> Error message below;
>
> "input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as
> /devices/virtual/input/input0 PNP: no PS/2 controller found.
> Probing ports directly."
>
> This laptop is a Everex Cloudbook and it has no PS/2 mouse
> connection,
> if you want a external mouse you will have to connect to USB .
> It amazing, this laptop has no problem booting into Fedora 8.
> I would look at this as a bug, wouldn't you ??

Looks like a bug!

NOAPIC as an additional boot parameter might help?
Bill

Old 03-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Jim

William John Murray wrote:

I added to the , pass onto kernel line "acpi=off" and it started to
boot until it got to the point of detecting mouse,

is there any commands i can send to kernel to bypass mouse detection ?
Error message below;

"input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as
/devices/virtual/input/input0 PNP: no PS/2 controller found.

Probing ports directly."

This laptop is a Everex Cloudbook and it has no PS/2 mouse
connection,
if you want a external mouse you will have to connect to USB .

It amazing, this laptop has no problem booting into Fedora 8.
I would look at this as a bug, wouldn't you ??

Looks like a bug!

NOAPIC as an additional boot parameter might help?
Bill

What's the difference between NOAPIC and apic=off ??
I have already fed apic=off to kernel boot line before booting.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:12 PM
"max bianco"

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

max wrote:

> Jim wrote:

>> Running Live CD Fedora 9 Live Beta, on a Laptop, while booting it

>> locks up just after the line;

>> "ACPI: EC: Lookup EC in DSDI"

>> I put CD in a *PC and it ran all the way through and loaded Desktop.

>> What is it on Laptop that would cause *a Lockup??

> ACPI = Advanced Configuration and Power Interface

> The rest of the line is greek to me but you might try fiddling with

> the BIOS settings. You don't say what kind of laptop you have but

> sometimes BIOS features have to be turned off to get things off the

> ground. Don't quote me here but I think DSDI *is related to debugging

> so i would look for something related to this in the bios and try to

> disable it or enable it depending on its current status. *You can

> always, if you get into trouble, restore defaults in the bios and also

> there is usually a way to load optimal settings in the bios, which

> could solve your problem.

> Max

I added to the , pass onto kernel line *"acpi=off" and it started to

boot until it got to the point of detecting mouse,

is there any commands i can send to kernel to bypass mouse detection ?

Error message below;

"input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as

/devices/virtual/input/input0 *PNP: no PS/2 controller found.

Probing ports directly."

This laptop is a Everex Cloudbook and it has no PS/2 mouse connection,

if you want a external mouse you will have to connect to USB .

It amazing, this laptop has no problem booting into Fedora 8.

I would look at this as a bug, wouldn't you ??

...i'd say file a bugzilla but F9 is still not an official release so it may be that it will get fixed before the final release. I would do as* suggested above and check with the fedora-test and devel mailing list to see what they think or you could crack open that desktop linux reference manual or try a different mouse. Many are willing to help but generally if its not officially released yet then you will find that people are less concerned because many issues will get resolved before final release( or you hope so anyway) As for another parameter you could pass at boot time , i don't know off hand, i'd have to look up how to work around mouse detection but that i think may mean runlevel 3 which is no gui anyway.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Jim

Bug reports filed at http://bugzilla.redhat.com, Bug #s 439020 an 439028

Old 03-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Jim

<mailto:mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net>> wrote:

max wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> Running Live CD Fedora 9 Live Beta, on a Laptop, while booting it
>> locks up just after the line;
>>
>> "ACPI: EC: Lookup EC in DSDI"
>>
>> I put CD in a PC and it ran all the way through and loaded
Desktop.
>> What is it on Laptop that would cause a Lockup??
>>
> ACPI = Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
>
> The rest of the line is greek to me but you might try fiddling with
> the BIOS settings. You don't say what kind of laptop you have but
> sometimes BIOS features have to be turned off to get things off the
> ground. Don't quote me here but I think DSDI is related to
debugging
> so i would look for something related to this in the bios and try to
> disable it or enable it depending on its current status. You can
> always, if you get into trouble, restore defaults in the bios
and also
> there is usually a way to load optimal settings in the bios, which
> could solve your problem.
>

> Max

I added to the , pass onto kernel line "acpi=off" and it started to
boot until it got to the point of detecting mouse,
is there any commands i can send to kernel to bypass mouse detection ?
Error message below;

"input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as
/devices/virtual/input/input0 PNP: no PS/2 controller found.
Probing ports directly."

This laptop is a Everex Cloudbook and it has no PS/2 mouse connection,
if you want a external mouse you will have to connect to USB .
It amazing, this laptop has no problem booting into Fedora 8.
I would look at this as a bug, wouldn't you ??

...i'd say file a bugzilla but F9 is still not an official release so
it may be that it will get fixed before the final release. I would do
as suggested above and check with the fedora-test and devel mailing
list to see what they think or you could crack open that desktop linux
reference manual or try a different mouse. Many are willing to help
but generally if its not officially released yet then you will find
that people are less concerned because many issues will get resolved
before final release( or you hope so anyway) As for another parameter
you could pass at boot time , i don't know off hand, i'd have to look
up how to work around mouse detection but that i think may mean
runlevel 3 which is no gui anyway.

It is my understanding you can report to bugzilla.redhat.com but you
select it as a "rawhide version"

Old 03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 11:32 -0400, Jim wrote:
> What's the difference between NOAPIC and apic=off

noapic [SMP,APIC] Tells the kernel to not make use of any
IOAPICs that may be present in the system.

apic= [APIC,i386] Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller
Change the output verbosity whilst booting
Format: { quiet (default) | verbose | debug }
Change the amount of debugging information output
when initialising the APIC and IO-APIC components.

yum install kernel-doc
cd /usr/share/doc/kernel<tab>/<tab>
less kernel-par<tab>
/apic
/
/
<HOME KEY>
/APIC
/
/
etc...

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:38 PM
"max bianco"

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

max bianco wrote:

> [...]

> * * I would look at this as a bug, wouldn't you ??

> ...i'd say file a bugzilla but F9 is still not an official release so

> it may be that it will get fixed before the final release. I would do

> as *suggested above and check with the fedora-test and devel mailing

> list to see what they think or you could crack open that desktop linux

> reference manual or try a different mouse. Many are willing to help

> but generally if its not officially released yet then you will find

> that people are less concerned because many issues will get resolved

> before final release( or you hope so anyway) As for another parameter

> you could pass at boot time , i don't know off hand, i'd have to look

> up how to work around mouse detection but that i think may mean

> runlevel 3 which is no gui anyway.

It is my understanding you can report to *bugzilla.redhat.com but you

Yes that's true but they are* having a hard* time keeping up with the bugs as* is so that is why i suggested waiting for final release.*

Max