Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 PM
suvayu ali

Default Problem with readline (command line editing)

Hi evryone,

Suddenly today I noticed several of the readline bindings are not
working any more. I have not made any customisations either through
~/.inputrc or through bind statements in my ~/.bashrc. I have tried
rebooting, logging in as a freshly created user. Neither of them helped.

To illustrate my issues, neither of the following work:

1. forward-word - M-f
2. backward-word - M-b
3. forward-search-history - C-s
4. yank-nth-arg - M-C-y
5. yank-last-arg - M-.
6. transpose-words - M-t
7. upcase-word - M-u
8. backward-kill-word - M-<DEL>
9. kill-word - M-d

While compiling the above list I realised its all the keybindings with
the Alt (meta) key. Any ideas what went wrong?

--
Suvayu

Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Ranjan Maitra

At least some of these work for me (I did not try all of them). Did
you do something today to deserve this?

Btw, C-s has never worked for me. I use C-r but not actually sure
whether that (reverse search) is different from what you are doing.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 12-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Cameron Simpson

On 01Dec2011 01:38, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
| Suddenly today I noticed several of the readline bindings are not
| working any more. I have not made any customisations either through
| ~/.inputrc or through bind statements in my ~/.bashrc. I have tried
| rebooting, logging in as a freshly created user. Neither of them helped.
|
| To illustrate my issues, neither of the following work:
|
| 1. forward-word - M-f
| 2. backward-word - M-b
| 3. forward-search-history - C-s
| 4. yank-nth-arg - M-C-y
| 5. yank-last-arg - M-.
| 6. transpose-words - M-t
| 7. upcase-word - M-u
| 8. backward-kill-word - M-<DEL>
| 9. kill-word - M-d
|
| While compiling the above list I realised its all the keybindings with
| the Alt (meta) key. Any ideas what went wrong?

Might your terminal emulator settings have changed?

Possibilities:

Alt and Meta are actually distinct keys in the X11 keyboard model;
this association may have been changed.

Terminal emulators choose to associate Alt and Meta too. Maybe your
terminal emulator config has changed.

Ctrl-S is "XOFF" - cease output - when flow control is on on a
terminal/serial device (and terminals _are_ serial devices:-).
Readline probably turns this off, but may not. If Ctrl-S doesn't
prevent other typing, you can probably ignore this idea.

Check your newly created user - be sure there is no default .inputrc.
And isn't there a system wide inputrc, maybe in /etc?

Check that you're using "emacs" command line editing; bash may only
offer that, but zsh at least has a "vi" mode command line editing
as well, which would break the mappings you expect.

Do other readline capable programs also fail?

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Dangerous stuff, science. Lots of us not fit for it.
- H.C. Bailey, _The Long Dinner_

Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 AM
suvayu ali

Hi Ranjan,

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 01:45, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu> wrote:
> At least some of these work for me (I did not try all of them). Did
> you do something today to deserve this?

Only thing out of the ordinary I can recall was installing zsh and
trying different things the day before yesterday.

> Btw, C-s has never worked for me. I use C-r but not actually sure
> whether that (reverse search) is different from what you are doing.

I think you maybe right. I don't quite recall C-s working either. But
I do use C-r a lot, and it is still functional.

> Best wishes,
> Ranjan

Thanks,

--
Suvayu

Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 AM
suvayu ali

Hi Cameron,

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 04:59, Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> wrote:
> Might your terminal emulator settings have changed?

I use Terminal (the XFCE terminal app) as my terminal emulator. I looked
at its settings file, and everything seemed to be the way I have set it
(I haven't touched this file in over a year). That said, I think
Terminal is to blame here. I tried bash on xterm, and everything worked
just the way it should.

> Possibilities:
>
> *Alt and Meta are actually distinct keys in the X11 keyboard model;
> *this association may have been changed.

How do I check this in my case?

> *Terminal emulators choose to associate Alt and Meta too. Maybe your
> *terminal emulator config has changed.

Some how Terminal is choosing to ignore the Alt key. When I try to quote
say Alt+1 with Ctrl+v, I only get 1.

> *Ctrl-S is "XOFF" - cease output - when flow control is on on a
> *terminal/serial device (and terminals _are_ serial devices:-).
> *Readline probably turns this off, but may not. If Ctrl-S doesn't
> *prevent other typing, you can probably ignore this idea.

Ctrl-s seems to do nothing in my case. But as I mentioned in response to
Ranjan, this particular binding probably has never worked for me.

> Check your newly created user - be sure there is no default .inputrc.
> And isn't there a system wide inputrc, maybe in /etc?

The new user doesn't have an ~/.inputrc. I checked the global
/etc/inputrc, there seemed no out of the ordinary settings.

> Check that you're using "emacs" command line editing; bash may only
> offer that, but zsh at least has a "vi" mode command line editing
> as well, which would break the mappings you expect.

The global inputrc has these lines:

set meta-flag on
set input-meta on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on
$if mode=emacs
"e[5C": forward-word
"e[5D": backward-word
"e[1;5C": forward-word
"e[1;5D": backward-word
$endif

And using bind I see I am using emacs mode:

$ bind -v | grep emacs
set editing-mode emacs
set keymap emacs

> Do other readline capable programs also fail?

When run inside Terminal, they fail (e.g. python, zsh). But inside xterm
they work as expected.

I guess the problem is clear, Terminal has somehow changed. Maybe there
is some obscure settings somewhere which got changed somehow. I'll ask
on the fedora XFCE list.

> Cheers,

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. They were very helpful.

--
Suvayu

Old 12-01-2011, 10:32 AM
suvayu ali

Hello Ranjan, Cameron and others,

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:39, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess the problem is clear, Terminal has somehow changed. Maybe there
> is some obscure settings somewhere which got changed somehow. I'll ask
> on the fedora XFCE list.

The "problem" is a regression in gtk2.

<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=649098>

Downgrading to gtk2-2.24.7-2.fc16.x86_64 resolves the issue.

I'll file a bugzilla on this when I can find the time.

--
Suvayu

Old 12-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Joe Zeff

On 12/01/2011 03:32 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> I'll file a bugzilla on this when I can find the time.

Take a file to your tuit and get rid of all the corners.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 05:32:55 -0600 suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu
+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Ranjan, Cameron and others,
>
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:39, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I guess the problem is clear, Terminal has somehow changed. Maybe there
> > is some obscure settings somewhere which got changed somehow. I'll ask
> > on the fedora XFCE list.
>
> The "problem" is a regression in gtk2.
>
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=649098>
>
> Downgrading to gtk2-2.24.7-2.fc16.x86_64 resolves the issue.

Strange.

$rpm -qa gtk2
gtk2-2.24.8-2.fc16.i686

and I don't seem to have your problems. May have to do with x86_64: I
will try this from home and see.

Ranjan

Old 12-03-2011, 05:42 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 01.12.2011, suvayu ali wrote:

> The "problem" is a regression in gtk2.
>
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=649098>
>
> Downgrading to gtk2-2.24.7-2.fc16.x86_64 resolves the issue.

I can confirm the bug on my F16 systems. Downgrading gtk2 helps.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:13 PM
suvayu ali

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 07:42, Heinz Diehl <htd@fritha.org> wrote:
> On 01.12.2011, suvayu ali wrote:
>
>> The "problem" is a regression in gtk2.
>>
>> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=649098>
>>
>> Downgrading to gtk2-2.24.7-2.fc16.x86_64 resolves the issue.
>
> I can confirm the bug on my F16 systems. Downgrading gtk2 helps.

Please checkout Christoph's post in your other thread. The bug was
actually in vte and there is an update that fixes it.

--
Suvayu