Old 11-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Hiisi

Default passwordless sudo

Hi, list!
I'm trying to set up passwordless sudo for myself. It's a shiny brand
new fresh-installed F16. During first boot I had been asked to create
a new user and put him to administrative group. I answered yes and
hence my user is able to run commands using sudo. However in
/etc/sudoers there's not a mention of my user. I've added the
following string to it:
hiisi ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
Apparently it has no effect - I have to enter password each time sudo
is invoked for the first time.
What the heck and how do I solve this mystery?
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 30.11.2011 11:38, schrieb Hiisi:
> However in /etc/sudoers there's not a mention of my user. I've added the
> following string to it: hiisi ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
> Apparently it has no effect - I have to enter password each time sudo
> is invoked for the first time. What the heck and how do I solve this mystery?

where have you defined it and are this really TABs?

the following works since years on my build-machines to call "rpmbuild"
batch-scripts as builduser followed by a "yum localupdate" before the
next package is built to make sure that it uses the libraries from before

hopefully this is not broken in F16

## Allow root to run any commands anywhere
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
builduser ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Rich Boyce

On 30/11/11 10:38, Hiisi wrote:
> Hi, list!
> I'm trying to set up passwordless sudo for myself. It's a shiny brand
> new fresh-installed F16. During first boot I had been asked to create
> a new user and put him to administrative group. I answered yes and
> hence my user is able to run commands using sudo. However in
> /etc/sudoers there's not a mention of my user. I've added the
> following string to it:
> hiisi ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
> Apparently it has no effect - I have to enter password each time sudo
> is invoked for the first time.

Try taking out the space after NOPASSWD:

HTH,
Rich

Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Digvijay Patankar

I'm trying to set up passwordless sudo for myself. It's a shiny brand

new fresh-installed F16. During first boot I had been asked to create

a new user and put him to administrative group. I answered yes and

hence my user is able to run commands using sudo. However in

/etc/sudoers there's not a mention of my user. I've added the

following string to it:

hiisi * ALL=(ALL) * * * NOPASSWD: ALL

Apparently it has no effect - I have to enter password each time sudo

is invoked for the first time.

What the heck and how do I solve this mystery?

--

Hiisi.

Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Make sure you are using visudo to edit sudoers file.
--
Digvijay Patankar
Senior Research Fellow,

Indian Institute of Science,*
Bangalore - 560012

Old 11-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Hiisi

On 30 November 2011 14:45, Digvijay Patankar <dbpatankar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Make sure you are using visudo to edit sudoers file.

Does it matter?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 30.11.2011 11:59, schrieb Hiisi:
> On 30 November 2011 14:45, Digvijay Patankar <dbpatankar@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Make sure you are using visudo to edit sudoers file.
>>

> Does it matter?

well top of the file there are comments:

## This file must be edited with the 'visudo' command.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Digvijay Patankar

Yes it does. It has something to do with proper format which is ensured by visudo but not vi.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Hiisi

On 30 November 2011 15:01, Digvijay Patankar <dbpatankar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes it does. It has something to do with proper format which is ensured by
> visudo but not vi.
>
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Hiisi <hiisi@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 30 November 2011 14:45, Digvijay Patankar <dbpatankar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Make sure you are using visudo to edit sudoers file.
>> >

>> Does it matter?

I used to do it both ways. This time I did it by 'visudo'.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Terry Polzin

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 13:38 +0300, Hiisi wrote:
> Hi, list!
> I'm trying to set up passwordless sudo for myself. It's a shiny brand
> new fresh-installed F16. During first boot I had been asked to create
> a new user and put him to administrative group. I answered yes and
> hence my user is able to run commands using sudo. However in
> /etc/sudoers there's not a mention of my user. I've added the
> following string to it:
> hiisi ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
> Apparently it has no effect - I have to enter password each time sudo
> is invoked for the first time.
> What the heck and how do I solve this mystery?
> --
> Hiisi.
> Registered Linux User #487982. Be counted at: http://counter.li.org/
> --
> Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
When you add yourself or another and add them to the administrators
group they become a member of group wheel. Run visudo find the no
password line for the wheel group and uncomment it and comment the other
one.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Hiisi

On 30 November 2011 15:15, Terry Polzin <foxec208@wowway.com> wrote:
> When you add yourself or another and add them to the administrators
> group they become a member of group wheel. *Run visudo find the no
> password line for the wheel group and uncomment it and comment the other
> one.

Thank you, Terry. You did it!
List, sorry for the noise and thanks to everybody involved in discussion.