Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Jonathan Ryshpan

Default Printing at 600 dpi makes everything twice as big

When I print a page with Image Quality -> Resolution at 300 dpi everything works fine, but when I print at Image Quality -> Resolution at 600 dpi everything prints twice as large as it ought to with resolution (I believe) at 300 dpi.* The page that's printed shows only the upper left quarter of the image that should be printed.* I've had this problem in the past (Fedora-15), but only with the Gimp and Gutenprint; now it happens all the time.

System Info:

4 CPU x86_64 hardware

Fedora-16 with all updates installed

KDE 4.7.3

cups-1.5.0-22.fc16.x86_64

Brother HL1440 Printer

Default printer resolution is 300 dpi

Any suggestions?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Jonathan Ryshpan

When I print a page with Image Quality -> Resolution at 300 dpi everything works fine, but when I print at Image Quality -> Resolution at 600 dpi everything prints twice as large as it ought to with resolution (I believe) at 300 dpi.* The page that's printed shows only the upper left quarter of the image that should be printed.* I've had this problem in the past (Fedora-15), but only with the Gimp and Gutenprint; now it happens all the time.

System Info:

4 CPU x86_64 hardware

Fedora-16 with all updates installed

KDE 4.7.3

cups-1.5.0-22.fc16.x86_64

Brother HL1440 Printer

A little more about the printer driver:

General Info:

Location:Next to computer

Driver:Brother HL-1440 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.7 (grayscale, 2-sided printing)

Connection:usb://Brother/HL-1440%20series

Defaults:job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

Default options:

Media Size: Letter

Color Model: Grayscale

Color Precision:* Normal

Media Source: Standard

Print Quality: Standard

Resolution: Automatic

2-Sided Printing: Off

Shrink Page If Necessary to Fit Borders: Shrink (print the whole page)

Any suggestions?

Old 11-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Tim Waugh

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 00:58 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > Any suggestions?

Could you please try a different driver? In particular, the
Foomatic/hl1250 driver is the recommended driver for this model. Does
that give you any better results?

How is it that you're using the Gutenprint driver?

Tim.
*/

Old 11-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Jonathan Ryshpan

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 10:06 +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 00:58 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > > Any suggestions?
>
> Could you please try a different driver? In particular, the
> Foomatic/hl1250 driver is the recommended driver for this model. Does
> that give you any better results?
>
> How is it that you're using the Gutenprint driver?

Using the Foomatic/hl1250 driver cures the problem.
"Print with Gutenprint" in Gimp has the same problem.
It looks like a bug in the Gutenprint driver, at least for this printer.
Do you think I should file it on the Cups Bugzilla.

I'm not sure exactly why I used the Gutenprint driver. As best I
remember it, when I upgraded to Fedora-16, which was done with a full
install on Nov. 9th, either Gutenprint was the default driver for the
printer, or was recommended, or no driver was recommended.

Thanks - jon

Old 12-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Tim Waugh

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 08:53 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> I'm not sure exactly why I used the Gutenprint driver. As best I
> remember it, when I upgraded to Fedora-16, which was done with a full
> install on Nov. 9th, either Gutenprint was the default driver for the
> printer, or was recommended, or no driver was recommended.

Could you show the output of su -c 'lpinfo -l -v' please? It sounds
like we have the wrong IEEE 1284 Device ID for this device, or else we
have that ID assigned to the wrong model.

Thanks,
Tim.
*/

Old 12-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Jonathan Ryshpan

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 11:45 +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 08:53 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > I'm not sure exactly why I used the Gutenprint driver. As best I
> > remember it, when I upgraded to Fedora-16, which was done with a full
> > install on Nov. 9th, either Gutenprint was the default driver for the
> > printer, or was recommended, or no driver was recommended.
>
> Could you show the output of su -c 'lpinfo -l -v' please? It sounds
> like we have the wrong IEEE 1284 Device ID for this device, or else we
> have that ID assigned to the wrong model.

Your wish is my command - jon

$ su -c 'lpinfo -l -v'
Password:
Device: uri = http
class = network
info = Internet Printing Protocol (http)
make-and-model = Unknown
device-id =
location =
Device: uri = serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
class = serial
info = Serial Port #1
make-and-model = Unknown
device-id =
location =
Device: uri = https
class = network
info = Internet Printing Protocol (https)
make-and-model = Unknown
device-id =
location =
Device: uri = ipp
class = network
info = Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
make-and-model = Unknown
device-id =
location =
Device: uri = cups-pdf:/
class = file
info = CUPS-PDF
make-and-model = Virtual PDF Printer
device-id = MFG:Generic;MDL:CUPS-PDF Printer;DES:Generic
CUPS-PDF Printer;CLS:PRINTER;CMD:POSTSCRIPT;
location =
Device: uri = socket
class = network
info = AppSocket/HP JetDirect
make-and-model = Unknown
device-id =
location =
Device: uri = ipps
class = network
info = Internet Printing Protocol (ipps)
make-and-model = Unknown
device-id =
location =
Device: uri = lpd
class = network
info = LPD/LPR Host or Printer
make-and-model = Unknown
device-id =
location =
Device: uri = smb
class = network
info = Windows Printer via SAMBA
make-and-model = Unknown
device-id =
location =
Device: uri = beh
class = network
info = Backend Error Handler
make-and-model = Unknown
device-id =
location =
Device: uri = parallel:/dev/lp0
class = direct
info = LPT #1
make-and-model = unknown
device-id =
location =
Device: uri = usb://Brother/HL-1440%20series
class = direct
info = Brother HL-1440 series
make-and-model = Brother HL-1440 series
device-id = MFG:Brother;CMD:PCL4,PJL;MDL:HL-1440
series;CLS:PRINTER;
location =

Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Tim Waugh

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 10:07 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Device: uri = usb://Brother/HL-1440%20series
> class = direct
> info = Brother HL-1440 series
> make-and-model = Brother HL-1440 series
> device-id = MFG:Brother;CMD:PCL4,PJL;MDL:HL-1440
> series;CLS:PRINTER;
> location =

Well, everything seems to be in order, so I'm not sure what went wrong.
Here is the list of drivers for that ID, most preferred first:

$ /usr/share/system-config-printer/check-device-ids.py 'Brother HL-1440
series' 'MFG:Brother;CMD:PCL4,PJL;MDL:HL-1440 series;CLS:PRINTER;'
Installing relevant drivers using session service
Fetching driver list
└── Brother HL-1440 series (user-specified): MFG:Brother;MDL:HL-1440
series;CMD:PCL4,PJL;
├── foomatic:Brother-HL-1440-hl1250.ppd [foomatic]
├── gutenprint.5.2://brother-hl-1440/simple [gutenprint-cups]
├── gutenprint.5.2://brother-hl-1440/expert [gutenprint-cups]
├── foomatic:Brother-HL-1440-hpijs-pcl5e.ppd [foomatic]
├── foomatic:Brother-HL-1440-lj4dith.ppd [foomatic]
└── foomatic:Brother-HL-1440-ljet4.ppd [foomatic]

Of course, by all means report a bug about the gutenprint behaviour. I
just wanted to try to find out why that driver was being used instead of
hl1250.

Tim.
*/