Old 03-25-2008, 08:29 PM
"Paul Ward"

Default File permissions on mount point

Hi All,

I should know this but it gets me everytime.

I need to set up an etx3 mount point called /storage
I want the following users to be able to write and read and execute
(777) on all files including newly created ones from a samba share.

The users I want to have access are mythtv and simon.

currently samba creates files as adm
I set file perms to 777 on /storage
chgrp mythtv
chown simon

smb.conf:
[storage]
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 777
path = /storage
guest ok = yes

However I think I need to set up uid or gid and umask on fstab.

Please can someone let me know the correct fstab config.

Many Thanks

Paul
--

email: pnward@googlemail.com
website: http://www.pward.co.uk

Old 03-25-2008, 08:40 PM
"Paul Ward"

I should add my fstab looks like this:

/dev/sda2 /storage ext3
user,grpid,suid,dev,exec 0 2

Old 03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 21:29 +0000, Paul Ward wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I should know this but it gets me everytime.
>
> I need to set up an etx3 mount point called /storage
> I want the following users to be able to write and read and execute
> (777) on all files including newly created ones from a samba share.
>
> The users I want to have access are mythtv and simon.
>
> currently samba creates files as adm
> I set file perms to 777 on /storage
> chgrp mythtv
> chown simon
>
> smb.conf:
> [storage]
> browseable = yes
> writeable = yes
> create mask = 777
> path = /storage
> guest ok = yes
>
> However I think I need to set up uid or gid and umask on fstab.
>
> Please can someone let me know the correct fstab config.
>

> Many Thanks
>
> Paul
> --
I may be missing something but have /storage owned by a group that
mythtv and simon belong to. Users can be added to any group.