Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 PM
"Steven F. LeBrun"

Default F16: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and MTP

Has anyone succeeded in mounting the SD Card built into the Samsung
Galaxy Tab 10.1 on Fedora?

It wants to use MTP for the USB connection and I have not found the
right combination of software to correctly mount the tablet as a
file system.* The MTP mounted tablet causes RhythmBox to crash when
it tries to connect to the tablet as a music player.

I have read some information about mtpfs.* Does anyone know where
this software can be found?

MTP == Media Transfer Protocol.

--

**Steven F. LeBrun

Dell XPS 15R

64 bit
8 GB
Intell Core i5-2410M CPU
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230
Intel Sandybridge Mobile

Fedora 16

Gnome 3

Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Gilboa Davara

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Steven F. LeBrun <steven@lebruns.com> wrote:

> Has anyone succeeded in mounting the SD Card built into the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 on Fedora?
>
> It wants to use MTP for the USB connection and I have not found the right combination of software to correctly mount the tablet as a file system.* The MTP mounted tablet causes RhythmBox to crash when it tries to connect to the tablet as a music player.
>
> I have read some information about mtpfs.* Does anyone know where this software can be found?
>
> MTP == Media Transfer Protocol.

Not sure it'll help, but in the case of you my Galaxy S2 smartphone, I
simply switched the phone to mass-storage mode.
(Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging)
Once enabled, you can simply access the file-system on your device
like any other USB mass-storage device. (Disk-on-key, HDD, etc)

- Gilboa

Old 11-30-2011, 12:59 PM
James Hogarth

> Not sure it'll help, but in the case of you my Galaxy S2 smartphone, I
> simply switched the phone to mass-storage mode.
> (Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging)
> Once enabled, you can simply access the file-system on your device
> like any other USB mass-storage device. (Disk-on-key, HDD, etc)

It is a problem we'll have to face soon however - even if the current
Galaxy Tab can be switch to mass storage...

The Galaxy Nexus (and thus reference for the next generation of
android phones/tablets) does not have a USB mass storage mode since it
does not have an SD card to unmount to present to the system. Rather
MTP is being used so that both the phone and the connected system can
have simultaneous access to the internal filesystem.

Right now we cannot say if future Samsung/Motorola/HTC/etc phones
based on ICS and the GN reference will follow a similar pattern or
not....

The FUSE based mtpfs can be found here but with the caveat that it
doesn't appear to have progress very far... and was just the first
google result for it - not sure if there is a competing effort:
http://code.google.com/p/mtpfs/

Relevant stuff about this situation can be found here:
http://www.pcsmax.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-no-data-transfer-to-mac-and-linux-112776.html

James

Old 11-30-2011, 01:57 PM
James Hogarth

> The FUSE based mtpfs can be found here but with the caveat that it
> doesn't appear to have progress very far... and was just the first
> google result for it - not sure if there is a competing effort:
> http://code.google.com/p/mtpfs/

Further checking reveals this on the forums:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=262051

Old 12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Craig White

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 13:59 +0000, James Hogarth wrote:

> > Not sure it'll help, but in the case of you my Galaxy S2 smartphone, I
> > simply switched the phone to mass-storage mode.
> > (Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging)
> > Once enabled, you can simply access the file-system on your device
> > like any other USB mass-storage device. (Disk-on-key, HDD, etc)
> >

> It is a problem we'll have to face soon however - even if the current
> Galaxy Tab can be switch to mass storage...
>
> The Galaxy Nexus (and thus reference for the next generation of
> android phones/tablets) does not have a USB mass storage mode since it
> does not have an SD card to unmount to present to the system. Rather
> MTP is being used so that both the phone and the connected system can
> have simultaneous access to the internal filesystem.
----
actually, I think your declaration that there won't be a USB mass
storage mode in the next gen android phones/tablets is incorrect...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/21/ice-cream-sandwich-supports-usb-mass-storage-after-all-galaxy-n/

----
> Right now we cannot say if future Samsung/Motorola/HTC/etc phones
> based on ICS and the GN reference will follow a similar pattern or
> not....
----
It will be there as evidenced by the Asus Transformer Prime

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:17 PM
James Hogarth

> actually, I think your declaration that there won't be a USB mass
> storage mode in the next gen android phones/tablets is incorrect...
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/21/ice-cream-sandwich-supports-usb-mass-storage-after-all-galaxy-n/

I did say that it depends how close they keep to the 'reference'
design or if they add sdcards themselves.... and mass storage from an
ICS point of view is only relevant to unmountable SD media... Note
that the Google engineer making the clarifications (which were already
present in the article I referenced) makes it clear MTP only is an ICS
thing for any device (such as the GN) which does not have external
unmountable storage.

Anything declared as internal storage and not unmountable will only be
usable via MTP (which is why the GN is MTP only) and so it remains of
interest for some sane solution to be able to access the disk of any
unmountable data volume of an ICS device...

Also anything that ends up having a reliance on access to the data at
the same time as the connected host would require this too.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:33 AM
"Steven F. LeBrun"

[...]

More information about accessing the Galaxy Tab 10.1 using MTP.* I
just bought a small MP3 player and connected it to my laptop via
USB.* It was treated the same as the Galaxy Tab 10.1, it crashed
Rhythmbox.* Before restarting Rhythmbox, I disconnected and
reconnected the MP3 player.* To my surprise, I was able to access
its memory as a file system.* Running mtp-detect or mtp-connect
caused the connection to fail.* I was able to transfer files to the
MP3 player successfully so long as Rhythmbox was not running (and
probably other programs that use libmtp).

After some success with the MP3 player, I tried connecting the
Galaxy Tab 10.1 without Rhythmbox running.* I was able to see some
sort of file system.* It was not the file system that I expected or
see with apps like Astro.* It was a flat file system with
directories named 00000001 to 00000028 (counting in hex).* All these
directories are mostly empty though a few have files with the same
numeric naming scheme.* Nautilus is stating that "These files are on
a digital audio player" and wants to open them with Rhythmbox.

It appears that while the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is using MTP, it is not
quite following the specification that the mtp tools are expecting.*
The mtp tools can detect that it is a Galaxy Tab 10.1 connected but
when it attempts to connect the connection is refused.

* --

* Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."

**** -- Groucho Marx