-   -   Tablet Acer Iconia W500, anyone? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/604422-tablet-acer-iconia-w500-anyone.html)

11-29-2011 06:36 PM

Tablet Acer Iconia W500, anyone?

Hi there,

Googling around I found with a little work I can run Fedora on that Tablet. Only wish it didn't came with Windows Pro, I could save a few bucks if it was Windows Home Basic.

Anyone on the list tried this? Do you think this machine with F15 or F16 would be a useable tablet? Andoid is not yet open enough for my taste ;-)

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Fernando Cassia 11-29-2011 09:11 PM

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 16:36, <fernando@lozano.eti.br> wrote:

> Googling around I found with a little work I can run Fedora on that Tablet.
> Only wish it didn't came with Windows Pro, I could save a few bucks if it
> was Windows Home Basic.

The Iconia tab is an x86 PC, more precisely an AMD Fusion based tablet.

It will run any x86 OS you throw at it.

FC

--
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers."
Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code

Fernando Cassia 11-29-2011 09:11 PM

Tablet Acer Iconia W500, anyone?

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 16:36, <fernando@lozano.eti.br> wrote:

> Googling around I found with a little work I can run Fedora on that Tablet.
> Only wish it didn't came with Windows Pro, I could save a few bucks if it
> was Windows Home Basic.

The Iconia tab is an x86 PC, more precisely an AMD Fusion based tablet.

It will run any x86 OS you throw at it.

FC

--
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers."
Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code

11-29-2011 10:21 PM

Tablet Acer Iconia W500, anyone?

Hi,

>> Googling around I found with a little work I can run Fedora on that Tablet.
>> Only wish it didn't came with Windows Pro, I could save a few bucks if it
>> was Windows Home Basic.
>
>The Iconia tab is an x86 PC, more precisely an AMD Fusion based tablet.
>It will run any x86 OS you throw at it.

That much I know, as I googled I already also know that device drivers can be found. But my question was if it was useable or if it'll feel cumbersome. I wish to hear (read) from someone who actually tried this.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

11-29-2011 10:21 PM

John Wendel 11-30-2011 03:33 AM

Tablet Acer Iconia W500, anyone?

Googling around I found with a little work I can run Fedora on
that Tablet. Only wish it didn't came with Windows Pro, I could
save a few bucks if it was Windows Home Basic.

Anyone on the list tried this? Do you think this machine with F15
or F16 would be a useable tablet? Andoid is not yet open enough
for my taste ;-)

[]s, Fernando Lozano

It's my understanding that Google has released the complete source
for the latest Android. Someone please correct if I'm wrong.

John

Fernando Cassia 11-30-2011 05:39 AM

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 01:33, John Wendel <jwendel10@comcast.net> wrote:
> It's my understanding that Google has released the complete source for the
> latest Android. Someone please correct if I'm wrong.
>
> John

Android is an x86 OS?

FC

Emilio Lopez 11-30-2011 07:25 AM

Tablet Acer Iconia W500, anyone?

Anybody knows if there are any attempt to port fedora to other tabs
(non x86) hardware, as Samsung Galaxy Tab??

Alan Cox 11-30-2011 10:22 AM

Tablet Acer Iconia W500, anyone?

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 03:39:57 -0300
Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 01:33, John Wendel <jwendel10@comcast.net> wrote:
> > It's my understanding that Google has released the complete source for the
> > latest Android. Someone please correct if I'm wrong.
> >
> > John
>
> Android is an x86 OS?

It can be - although all current Android devices on the market are I
believe ARM based. See android-x86.org.

Fernando Cassia 11-30-2011 10:38 AM

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 08:22, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> It can be - although all current Android devices on the market are I
> believe ARM based. See android-x86.org.

Thanks!. I heard about some "porting effort" but wasn´t aware they had
produced working versions already.

FC