Old 12-02-2011, 12:36 PM

Default Tablet Acer Iconia W500, anyone?

Hi,

>> Until now it doesn't look like I can install Fedora and use it on a pure tablet. So I keep my current netbook, which is yet not old.
>
>What makes you conclude that it won´t work?.
>
>It seems to me you didn´t google enough:
>
>http://www.entirelyunlike.net/?tag=iconia-tab-w500
>
>He´s got it working, including touch, explains how, and with screen rotation.

I wan't clear. I expect it to work, but as as it would on any notebook / netbook. The hardware is supported, that's all. So far it looks I can use the touch screen as a pointer device adn rotate the screen. Not a big deal. That means just using the tablet as a regular PC, with a different kind of mouse. It does not tell anything whether it will feel like a real tablet, with touch optimized UI and apps. That's what I mean by a "pure tablet".

I already had some touch-enabled PCs, like the HP tx2000, and they weren't confortable doing anything by touch. Sure current tablets have better touch screens, and the Gnome Shell was designed with some touch features in mind, but this alone is not enough.

The big question is: has anyone tried to use the W550 or a similar device as a real tablet, not as a netbook, using only touch to browse the web, read drm-free ebooks, watch vides, listen music, and playing games?

And how the touchscreen / virtual keybard are (or aren't) usefull for non-tablet applications like gimp and libre office?

So far no one answered those questions, not even a developer working on those features, so I assume there are none. F16 remains simply a PC operating system, not something you'd actually use on a tablet. :-(

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 12-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 10:36, <fernando@lozano.eti.br> wrote:
> I wan't clear. I expect it to work, but as as it would on any notebook / netbook. The hardware is supported, that's all. So far it looks I can use the touch screen as a pointer device adn rotate the screen. Not a big deal. That means just using the tablet as a regular PC, with a different kind of mouse. It does not tell anything whether it will feel like a real tablet,

So you´re not asking a question about Fedora but a question about
Gnome on touch screen devices..

It seems to me you might want to give MeeGo a try.
The WeTab tablet (from a German company, I believe) shipped with MeeGo
and was an x86 system.

FC

Old 12-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 11:08, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to me you might want to give MeeGo a try.
> The WeTab tablet (from a German company, I believe) shipped with MeeGo
> and was an x86 system.

Here, $400. But Intel not AMD based (too bad :-/)

http://ho.io/wetab

FC

--
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers."
Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code

Old 12-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Hi,

>> My question is, on the tablet side, anyone has tried Fedora on the
>> Iconia, and found it nice to use with touch-screen only?
>----
>Good question - not me
>
>I think that a tablet device and a tablet computer scratch 2 different
>itches and wanting to have that scratched by the same hardware device is
>probably impractical, if nothing else. Given the relatively low cost of
>the hardware these days, it's much more realistic to simply buy both but
>of course there's always some people who just want to do things just to
>see if they can.

If I can carry only one device it's much better. If not, I'll end up carryng a netbook and nothing else.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 12-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Alan Cox

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 11:12:27 -0300
Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 11:08, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It seems to me you might want to give MeeGo a try.
> > The WeTab tablet (from a German company, I believe) shipped with MeeGo
> > and was an x86 system.

Its from a German compay called Neofonie

http://wetab.mobi/shop/

You probably want

http://wetab.mobi/en/developers/

I've never played with one so I've no idea how it rates