Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 PM

Default Tablet Acer Iconia W500, anyone?

Hi,
> It's my understanding that Google has released the complete source for the latest Android. Someone please correct if I'm wrong.
> John

Releasing the sources is not enough for me. Android is developed at closed doors, and the source released afterwards, or not released at all, like it happened wth 3.0 / Honeycomb. I don't know how hard is to do something usefull with those sources. Sometimes you find "complete" sources available but an incomplete/not documented/not automared build process, and the sources are pretty useless without a huge effort.
Not mentioning that all android devices on the market use ARM cpus. Maybe the current sources need significant porting effort for x86.
Current Android requires programming for their specic APIs: no X, no LibreOffice, no Gimp, no Inkscape...
A tablet like the Acer Iconia W500 has the same specs as a current netbook, so I could use it sometimes as a tradicional netbook and say edit ODT documents, and sometimes as a tablet, using the touch interface for multimedia and web browsing. It even helps that by providing a doc with keyboard, full-size usb and vga ports. So today I could do with it things I cannot do with a tablet.
My question is, on the tablet side, anyone has tried Fedora on the Iconia, and found it nice to use with touch-screen only?

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 11-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Maseood Raisi

On 12/1/2011 12:04 AM, fernando@lozano.eti.br wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> It's my understanding that Google has released the complete source for
> the latest Android. Someone please correct if I'm wrong.
>> John
>
> Releasing the sources is not enough for me. Android is developed at
> closed doors, and the source released afterwards, or not released at
> all, like it happened wth 3.0 / Honeycomb. I don't know how hard is to
> do something usefull with those sources. Sometimes you find "complete"
> sources available but an incomplete/not documented/not automared build
> process, and the sources are pretty useless without a huge effort.
>
> Not mentioning that all android devices on the market use ARM cpus.
> Maybe the current sources need significant porting effort for x86.
>
> Current Android requires programming for their specic APIs: no X, no
> LibreOffice, no Gimp, no Inkscape...
>
> A tablet like the Acer Iconia W500 has the same specs as a current
> netbook, so I could use it sometimes as a tradicional netbook and say
> edit ODT documents, and sometimes as a tablet, using the touch interface
> for multimedia and web browsing. It even helps that by providing a doc
> with keyboard, full-size usb and vga ports. So today I could do with it
> things I cannot do with a tablet.
>
> My question is, on the tablet side, anyone has tried Fedora on the
> Iconia, and found it nice to use with touch-screen only?
>

> []s, Fernando Lozano

Hi, I'm planning to buy Iconia W500 too
since it use the AMD Fusion CPU, it can run both fedora AMD64 and x86,
but the question is, is it possible to boot the device from another
drive like USB CDROM, or Flash Disk?
the specification of the device didn't say anything about the BIOS used
in the device

--
Maseood Raisi
Email: amrofr[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Old 11-30-2011, 09:10 PM

Hi,

>> My question is, on the tablet side, anyone has tried Fedora on the
>> Iconia, and found it nice to use with touch-screen only?
>>
>Hi, I'm planning to buy Iconia W500 too
>since it use the AMD Fusion CPU, it can run both fedora AMD64 and x86,
>but the question is, is it possible to boot the device from another
>drive like USB CDROM, or Flash Disk?
>the specification of the device didn't say anything about the BIOS used
>in the device

This blog and its sequels have detailed instructions on installing F15 on the tablet:

http://www.entirelyunlike.net/?p=56

But it does not answer my question, about the tablet as a real tablet (under Fedora), not as a netbook.

I can't believe there's no one on this list who tried Gnome Shell 3 on any touch-enabled PC or x86 tablet. :-(

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 12-01-2011, 06:48 AM
Fernando Cassia

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 19:10, <fernando@lozano.eti.br> wrote:

> I can't believe there's no one on this list who tried Gnome Shell 3 on any touch-enabled PC or x86 tablet. :-(

You could tell us.
Plus, it would be great to approach Acer about a Windows license refund.

http://linux.vandeplas.com/acer/winrefund.htm

FC
--
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers."
Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code

Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Craig White

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 18:34 -0200, fernando@lozano.eti.br wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > It's my understanding that Google has released the complete source
> for the latest Android. Someone please correct if I'm wrong.
> > John
>
> Releasing the sources is not enough for me. Android is developed at
> closed doors, and the source released afterwards, or not released at
> all, like it happened wth 3.0 / Honeycomb. I don't know how hard is to
> do something usefull with those sources. Sometimes you find "complete"
> sources available but an incomplete/not documented/not automared build
> process, and the sources are pretty useless without a huge effort.
----
Probably worth considering that the early versions of 3.0 (Honeycomb)
were tailored to specific hardware in order to accelerate the
development and bring a specific product to market (Motorola Xoom).
Subsequent versions were more generalized and allowed a greater variety
of hardware choices which is when Google released the source. I think
Google's decision to prevent Honeycomb fragmentation was reasonably
prudent - evidence the Windows 7 phones all require a Snapdragon single
core processor so there is virtually no product differentiation.

Their whole intent to merge the telephone version (ie Gingerbread) and
the tablet version (Honeycomb) is now realized (Ice Cream Sandwich) and
in an amazingly short period of time - evidence the total lack of
Windows tablets despite the amount of resources Microsoft is throwing at
development as they become increasingly irrelevant in mobile technology.
----
> Not mentioning that all android devices on the market use ARM cpus.
> Maybe the current sources need significant porting effort for x86.
----
I gather that Canonical has been pushing hard at this.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM
----
> Current Android requires programming for their specic APIs: no X, no
> LibreOffice, no Gimp, no Inkscape...
>

> A tablet like the Acer Iconia W500 has the same specs as a current
> netbook, so I could use it sometimes as a tradicional netbook and say
> edit ODT documents, and sometimes as a tablet, using the touch
> interface for multimedia and web browsing. It even helps that by
> providing a doc with keyboard, full-size usb and vga ports. So today I
> could do with it things I cannot do with a tablet.
>

> My question is, on the tablet side, anyone has tried Fedora on the
> Iconia, and found it nice to use with touch-screen only?
----
Good question - not me

I think that a tablet device and a tablet computer scratch 2 different
itches and wanting to have that scratched by the same hardware device is
probably impractical, if nothing else. Given the relatively low cost of
the hardware these days, it's much more realistic to simply buy both but
of course there's always some people who just want to do things just to
see if they can.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Tim

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 04:48 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Plus, it would be great to approach Acer about a Windows license refund.
>
> http://linux.vandeplas.com/acer/winrefund.htm

While such notions have appealed to me, in the past. Having seen the
kerfuffle that you'd have to go through, and the pittance of a refund
that you'll get back, by reading various blogs about it, I don't think
it's worth the waste of your time.

Seriously, how long do you want to spend on phone calls and letter
writing, to get back a measly $30 or so? I'm not, particularly, a "time
is money" person. But it'd be a tedious and stressful thing to go
through.

I'd be more inclined if you got a substantial refund, such as how much
you'd have to pay to buy Windows, by itself, over the counter. Or
amused, if someone managed to knock the retail price down to match the
refund price.

Years ago, I was talking to a shopkeeper about Windows pricing, and he
said as far as he was concerned that it ought to sell for $50, because
that was all he thought it was worth, taking into consideration its
crappiness, and everything you went through to use it (buying antivirus,
all the maintenance you had to do, or get someone else to do, and all
the risks that an infection exposed you to). At the time, buying
Windows, here, would set you back a few hundred dollars to buy the OS,
outright (*). Upgrade versions were a bit cheaper. And those were
Windows-only install discs, not Windows plus applications (like we get
with a Fedora OS *and* installations disc). Windows plus applications
discs were seriously expensive, or only bundled with new computers.

* When XP was newish, a stand-alone install packaged retailed at over
$700. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Then, on top of that,
buying an Office package was a similar price.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:23, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Seriously, how long do you want to spend on phone calls and letter
> writing, to get back a measly $30 or so? *I'm not, particularly, a "time
> is money" person. *But it'd be a tedious and stressful thing to go
> through.

It is a matter of principle.
$30 might not be much for you, but multiply it by a few hundred
thousand consumers and suddenly itīs real money.

Also, it sends a precendent to the PC builder that indeed some
customers might not want a Windows OS preloaded, and paves the way to
more "white box" or alternative-OS offerings in the future. Not to
mention the antitrust angle if the manufacturer refuses to do so.

FC

Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 08:23, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> Given the relatively low cost of
> the hardware these days, it's much more realistic to simply buy both

Donīt extrapolate your income levels to the rest of the world. And
notice the OP was from Brazil.

Hardware costs, when duties and taxes are factored, can be 2x as much,
and incomes are often 1/3 to 1/4th.

FC

Old 12-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Hi there,

>> Given the relatively low cost of
>> the hardware these days, it's much more realistic to simply buy both
>
>Donīt extrapolate your income levels to the rest of the world. And
>notice the OP was from Brazil.
>
>Hardware costs, when duties and taxes are factored, can be 2x as much,
>and incomes are often 1/3 to 1/4th.

While this is true, Why spend on a hardware without a reasonable expectancy that it'll work the way I want?

I see sometimes (even here in Brazil) people from TI have a "collection" of eletronic gadgets which serves no actual purpose, just to show friends ;-)

If there's a good chance the W500 can work as a pure tablet using Gnome 3, I'll buy one. If not, or if this may take a lot of time, I just wait because some months in the future there'll be a better similar device. If I had the expertise or free time to actually help make it work, then I'd by now.

Until now it doesn't look like I can install Fedora and use it on a pure tablet. So I keep my current netbook, which is yet not old.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 12-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Fernando Cassia

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 08:39, <fernando@lozano.eti.br> wrote:
> Until now it doesn't look like I can install Fedora and use it on a pure tablet. So I keep my current netbook, which is yet not old.

What makes you conclude that it wonīt work?.

It seems to me you didnīt google enough:

http://www.entirelyunlike.net/?tag=iconia-tab-w500

Heīs got it working, including touch, explains how, and with screen rotation.

FC