Old 03-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Arch Willingham

Default What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

I first started dabbling with Linux about three years ago. The
way I ended up using Fedora was it was the first link I clicked on that worked
(I think it was FC3). Since that time, I have around fifteen machines running
it. All of them run FC8 except my laptop which, as of yesterday, is running the
beta of FC9.

Â*

With that said, I have never seen any other version of Linux
running except Fedora. What’s all the hype around Ubuntu? I realize I could
download an install a copy but I never really saw any reason to since FCx seems
to work great.

Â*

I’m not trying to start a battle of which is better…just
trying to get an idea of why its seems so popular.

Â*

Thanks!

Â*

Arch

Old 03-25-2008, 07:24 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

2008/3/25 Arch Willingham <arch@tuparks.com>:
> I'm not trying to start a battle of which is better…just trying to get an
> idea of why its seems so popular.

Nothing good will come of this.

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 PM
"Mike D"

2008/3/26 Arch Willingham <arch@tuparks.com>:

[...]

Their marketing seems to have worked well. 'Linux for humans'. Also their free CD drops and active forums do alot to help.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Arch Willingham

Sorry...that was not my intention.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:30 PM

________________________________

From: Arch Willingham

With that said, I have never seen any other version of Linux
running except Fedora. What's all the hype around Ubuntu? I realize I
could download an install a copy but I never really saw any reason to
since FCx seems to work great.

________________________________

Arch,

For me, it was a simple matter of it looking cleaner and being real easy
to install. I use Linux at home and have 5 machines with Ubuntu and one
with multiple OSes. The family is all on Ubuntu, migrated from Windows.
I started with FC5 or 6, but found that Ubuntu 6.4, was a little
slicker, all the way around. Even FC7 was not quite there. Don't get
me wrong, FC7 works fine and it is on the multi-boot. I will be
upgrading to FC8 and Ubuntu 8.4 shortly and will migrate one or the
other out to the other machines. I plan to give a CD to each person and
let them have at it.

Michael

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:31 PM
"max bianco"