Old 11-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default Gnome and Xfce don't play well together

This happened in F15 and I thought I was just ignorant.
Now that it has happened again in F16 I realize it is a software
problem.
When Gnome is configured for a user and then the user tries to use Xfce
they find that the Xfce is corrupted in various ways. Namely:
1. when Firefox is run the top menu choices can not be used. You click
on Edit for example and you see the Edit menu, When you move the cursor
down the menu and the menu disappears.
2. Gnome display image bleeds into Xfce.
3. Evolution after awhile has the same problem as Firefox.
4. Running the Software Update program causes the update window to be so
large that you can't see the options like "Install" at the bottom of the
window,
5. You can't set up multiple workspaces.
etc., etc and so forth.

In F15 the corruptions were slightly different. Foe example the menu you
got when you clicked on the Desktop was the Gnome menu not the Xfce
menu.
Other strange things happened like you get a view of the home directory
immediately when you log in to Xfce,

It would be interesting to hear whether others have seen similar
effects.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:40 PM
"Smith, Herb"

>Aaron wrote:

>This happened in F15 and I thought I was just ignorant.
>Now that it has happened again in F16 I realize it is a software problem.
>When Gnome is configured for a user and then the user tries to use Xfce they find that the Xfce is corrupted in various ways. Namely:
>1. when Firefox is run the top menu choices can not be used. You click on Edit for example and you see the Edit menu, When you move >the cursor down the menu and the menu disappears.
>2. Gnome display image bleeds into Xfce.
>3. Evolution after awhile has the same problem as Firefox.
>4. Running the Software Update program causes the update window to be so large that you can't see the options like "Install" at the >bottom of the window, 5. You can't set up multiple workspaces.
>etc., etc and so forth.

>In F15 the corruptions were slightly different. Foe example the menu you got when you clicked on the Desktop was the Gnome menu not >the Xfce menu.
>Other strange things happened like you get a view of the home directory immediately when you log in to Xfce,

>It would be interesting to hear whether others have seen similar effects.

I experienced the problem with the Software Update Program window in FC15 with Gnome on my laptop. This was prior to any use of XFCE, and was one of the reasons that I tried XFCE. I haven't tried the Updater since the switch, but if it's still there, I would not be able to blame XFCE for it. I haven't checked the other behaviors, but will.

Herb Smith

Old 11-29-2011, 05:47 PM
suvayu ali

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 16:49, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> It would be interesting to hear whether others have seen similar
> effects.

You can try the command below for a quick (but possibly temporary) fix.

$ xfwm4 --replace

--
Suvayu

Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 19:47 +0100, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 16:49, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > It would be interesting to hear whether others have seen similar
> > effects.
>
> You can try the command below for a quick (but possibly temporary) fix.
>
> $ xfwm4 --replace
>
> --
> Suvayu

The implication is that you run that command from the command line as a
user. When I run it , it runs without exiting. ps shows it is in the
S+ state. Is that what should have happened?
Workspaces appeared but Firefox is still broken.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:49:19 -0600
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> This happened in F15 and I thought I was just ignorant.
> Now that it has happened again in F16 I realize it is a software
> problem.
> When Gnome is configured for a user and then the user tries to use
> Xfce they find that the Xfce is corrupted in various ways. Namely:

What do you mean by 'gnome is configured for a user' ?
They logged in with gnome? something else?

> 1. when Firefox is run the top menu choices can not be used. You click
> on Edit for example and you see the Edit menu, When you move the
> cursor down the menu and the menu disappears.

Sounds like a window manager focus issue...

> 2. Gnome display image bleeds into Xfce.

display image? Not sure what you mean here...

> 3. Evolution after awhile has the same problem as Firefox.
> 4. Running the Software Update program causes the update window to be
> so large that you can't see the options like "Install" at the bottom
> of the window,

Whats your screen resolution?

> 5. You can't set up multiple workspaces.
> etc., etc and so forth.

What happens when you try and do so?

> In F15 the corruptions were slightly different. Foe example the menu
> you got when you clicked on the Desktop was the Gnome menu not the
> Xfce menu.
> Other strange things happened like you get a view of the home
> directory immediately when you log in to Xfce,
>
> It would be interesting to hear whether others have seen similar
> effects.

It sounds like somehow you have had metacity take over for xfwm4.
Can you open up a terminal and run a 'ps aux' and see which window
manager is running?

xfwm4 --replace &

and then logging out and back on to save the session with xfwm4 running
might help?

kevin

Old 11-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/30/2011 02:12 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> The implication is that you run that command from the command line as a
> user. When I run it , it runs without exiting. ps shows it is in the
> S+ state. Is that what should have happened?

The suggestion on the XFCE forum is to run this:

xfwm4 &

When compiz started crashing on my laptop, this worked and I was able to
close the terminal without stopping it. If you already have a window
manager running, try this:

xfwm4 --replace &

Old 12-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Frank Murphy

On 29/11/11 15:49, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> This happened in F15 and I thought I was just ignorant.
> Now that it has happened again in F16 I realize it is a software
> problem.

Make sure in Xfce: Settings > Session & Startup > Advanced
"Gnome services" is unchecked.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 12-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Aaron Konstam

Old 12-01-2011, 05:33 PM
David

On 12/1/2011 1:21 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 08:33 +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
>> On 29/11/11 15:49, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> This happened in F15 and I thought I was just ignorant.
>>> Now that it has happened again in F16 I realize it is a software
>>> problem.
>>
>> Make sure in Xfce: Settings > Session & Startup > Advanced
>> "Gnome services" is unchecked.
> Gnome services is unchecked

I use the Xfce 'spin' and Gnome does not interfere with it.

--

David

Old 12-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 17:16 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:49:19 -0600
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > This happened in F15 and I thought I was just ignorant.
> > Now that it has happened again in F16 I realize it is a software
> > problem.
> > When Gnome is configured for a user and then the user tries to use
> > Xfce they find that the Xfce is corrupted in various ways. Namely:
>
> What do you mean by 'gnome is configured for a user' ?
> They logged in with gnome? something else?
>
> > 1. when Firefox is run the top menu choices can not be used. You click
> > on Edit for example and you see the Edit menu, When you move the
> > cursor down the menu and the menu disappears.
>
> Sounds like a window manager focus issue...
>
> > 2. Gnome display image bleeds into Xfce.
>
> display image? Not sure what you mean here...
>
> > 3. Evolution after awhile has the same problem as Firefox.
> > 4. Running the Software Update program causes the update window to be
> > so large that you can't see the options like "Install" at the bottom
> > of the window,
>
> Whats your screen resolution?
>
> > 5. You can't set up multiple workspaces.
> > etc., etc and so forth.
>
> What happens when you try and do so?
The workwspaces are not created.

> > In F15 the corruptions were slightly different. Foe example the menu
> > you got when you clicked on the Desktop was the Gnome menu not the
> > Xfce menu.
> > Other strange things happened like you get a view of the home
> > directory immediately when you log in to Xfce,
> >
> > It would be interesting to hear whether others have seen similar
> > effects.
>
> It sounds like somehow you have had metacity take over for xfwm4.
> Can you open up a terminal and run a 'ps aux' and see which window
> manager is running?
>
> xfwm4 --replace &
>
> and then logging out and back on to save the session with xfwm4 running
> might help?
>
> kevin
My display is: 1280x1024

Well I can answer the other questions but : xfwm4 --replace &
seems to be the answer to my problems. So far all my complaints have
gone away. Thanks.
Now how did metacity take over for xfwm4?