Old 11-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Alexander Volovics

Default How is screen size handled in kvm/qemu

I decided to try out virtualization in Fed 16 + Gnome 3.2 on my laptop.

To begin I chose a small distro 'Crunchbang-10 64bits, based on Debian
Live with the Openbox WM.

No problems with the install.
But the result is not comfortable because the laptop screen is 1600x900
and the virt manager screen for Crunchbang is 1024x768, the wrong (4:3)
proportionality.

This means that even if I use full-screen I still have a 'small'
Crunchbang screen.

I this a restriction of virtual graphics or are there (hidden)
configuration options.

Alexander

Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Roberto Ragusa

On 11/28/2011 03:06 PM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> I decided to try out virtualization in Fed 16 + Gnome 3.2 on my laptop.
>
> To begin I chose a small distro 'Crunchbang-10 64bits, based on Debian
> Live with the Openbox WM.
>
> No problems with the install.
> But the result is not comfortable because the laptop screen is 1600x900
> and the virt manager screen for Crunchbang is 1024x768, the wrong (4:3)
> proportionality.
>
> This means that even if I use full-screen I still have a 'small'
> Crunchbang screen.
>
> I this a restriction of virtual graphics or are there (hidden)
> configuration options.

I think you have to work inside the virtual machine to change the resolution.
It is also possible that the virtual hardware is running at the best
resolution it can; in that case you may have to change something on the
virt manager side first (that is, changing the kind of emulated hardware).

This is my experience with older versions of the software (F14). I remember
some vga / vesa choices which could be done.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it