-   -   question on gdb (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/603694-question-gdb.html)

Paul Allen Newell 11-28-2011 07:16 AM

question on gdb

Community:

I am trying to run gdb on a program that is crashing and I am getting
messages of:
+++
Missing separate debuginfos, use debug-install glibc-2.13.2.x86_64
libgcc-4.5.1.fc14.x86_64 libg++-4.5.1.fc14.x86_64
libstdc++-4.5.1.fc14.x86_64
---

Googling is not giving me anything that I either understand or trust.
Querying yum with -list isn't giving me any insight.

Is this message asking me to add something to the compile line or
something to gdb? And, in either case, what is it asking for.

I'm hoping someone on this list has run into this debugging C++ and can
clue me into where I need to look.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Frank Murphy 11-28-2011 07:46 AM

question on gdb

On 28/11/11 08:16, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Community:
>
> I am trying to run gdb on a program that is crashing and I am getting
> messages of:
> +++
> Missing separate debuginfos, use debug-install glibc-2.13.2.x86_64
> libgcc-4.5.1.fc14.x86_64 libg++-4.5.1.fc14.x86_64
> libstdc++-4.5.1.fc14.x86_64

It's telling you to install the debug pkgs,
which are not already installed.
as the line says use "debug-install glibc-2.13.2.x86_64 etc..

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Paul Allen Newell 11-28-2011 07:50 AM

question on gdb

On 11/28/2011 12:46 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:

> It's telling you to install the debug pkgs,
> which are not already installed.
> as the line says use "debug-install glibc-2.13.2.x86_64 etc..

Frank:

Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought as well, but I couldn't see
anything with yum -list. I am prepared to believe that I am blind to the
obvious, but at this point I am still blind.

I don't have my F14 box online at the moment (I was thinking bed was the
best immediate solution to the problem), but if you can confirm what I
need to tell yum, I will fire the puppy up and test

Paul

Frank Murphy 11-28-2011 08:09 AM

question on gdb

On 28/11/11 08:50, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

> I don't have my F14 box online at the moment (I was thinking bed was the
> best immediate solution to the problem), but if you can confirm what I
> need to tell yum, I will fire the puppy up and test
>
> Paul

at the prompt
~$ debuginfo-install pkgname

Aside: With F14 eol in 2 weeks is it worth it?
Maybe see if F15 has the same crash?

Paul Allen Newell 11-28-2011 08:27 AM

question on gdb

On 11/28/2011 1:09 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> at the prompt
> ~$ debuginfo-install pkgname
>
> Aside: With F14 eol in 2 weeks is it worth it?
> Maybe see if F15 has the same crash?

Frank:

Well, since I was looking for debuginfo-install as something yum would
list, I would have never gotten close to the fact that debuginfo-install
was a program in and of itself.

There is a part of me that wants to go "oh, I am just a newbie" but I
have to admit there is a bigger part that says that I've been mucking in
this code for "a very long time" and I think the messages in gdb aren't
telling me what I need to do. Groan, that's just the way many things are.

As to the question of f14, I am kinda stuck at the moment as the Fedora
world is happily (big smile) moving to f16 and I have to deal with Maya
whose upcoming release is pegged to f14.

Really appreciate the quick turnaround on help on this one, now I just
have to figure out what my program is doing which has caused me to ask
these questions.

Paul

Gregory Hosler 12-03-2011 06:12 AM

question on gdb

On 11/28/2011 04:16 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Community:
>
> I am trying to run gdb on a program that is crashing and I am getting
> messages of:
> +++
> Missing separate debuginfos, use debug-install glibc-2.13.2.x86_64
> libgcc-4.5.1.fc14.x86_64 libg++-4.5.1.fc14.x86_64
> libstdc++-4.5.1.fc14.x86_64
> ---
>
> Googling is not giving me anything that I either understand or trust.
> Querying yum with -list isn't giving me any insight.
>
> Is this message asking me to add something to the compile line or
> something to gdb? And, in either case, what is it asking for.

binaries and the associated debugging information (necessary for productively
running gdb) are distributed as 2 separate rpms. foo and foo-debuginfo

The above message(s) are telling you (in so many words) that you need to install
some debuginfo rpms, and in fact it is also telling you the command line to use
to obtain those debuginfo rpms and install the,

specifically, the diagnostic is asking you to type the following:

debug-install glibc-2.13.2.x86_64 libgcc-4.5.1.fc14.x86_64
libg++-4.5.1.fc14.x86_64 libstdc++-4.5.1.fc14.x86_64

which will download and install the debuginfo rpms for glibc and the stdc++
librarys.

(this pre-supposes that you have standard yum setup, so that you will
automatically find the debuginfo packages, which are not downloaded and
installed by default).

This particular instance will, for example, allow you to step thru glibc (and/or
stdc++) set breakpoints within the libraries, etc.

now. Having said that... It is not always absolutely necessary to install the
library debuginfo's -- it all depends upon whether you are "ok" with not being
able to step into, and set breakpoints in those libraries. i'm usually only
interested in setting breakpoints in *my* code, for example, and usually do not
install the debuginfo libraries for many of the associated libraries that my
application links against. It's a judgement call.

If this is your first time, perhaps don't install the debuginfo for libraries
where you think the problem isn't, and where you think you will not need to
trace into said library(s). If, during debugging, you feel that "gee, it would
be useful to set a breakpoint into that library, and see what's going on", then
install the debuginfo for that library, and restart the debugger and your
application.

All the best,

- -Greg

> I'm hoping someone on this list has run into this debugging C++ and can
> clue me into where I need to look.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

- --

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
(from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler ghosler@redhat.com |

suvayu ali 12-03-2011 09:18 AM

question on gdb

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 08:12, Gregory Hosler <ghosler@redhat.com> wrote:
> If this is your first time, perhaps don't install the debuginfo for libraries
> where you think the problem isn't, and where you think you will not need to
> trace into said library(s). If, during debugging, you feel that "gee, it would
> be useful to set a breakpoint into that library, and see what's going on", then
> install the debuginfo for that library, and restart the debugger and your
> application.

FWIW, stepping into libraries is not the only need. You might just want
the symbols for those libraries for more information at debug time. To
illustrate with an example:

libfoo.so might provide a class dummy and you maybe using it like

dummy myinstance; //.

Then having the libfoo-debuginfo package installed gives you the ability
to do things like,

print myinstance.getattrib1()

or maybe even conditional breakpoints using these symbols.

--
Suvayu