Old 11-28-2011, 01:54 AM
Genes MailLists

Default speed of yum

I happened upon pacman on Arch linux - and it appeared to be
substantially faster than yum. Now this was casual "visual impact only"
- no formal tests using similar packages and same computer etc - but it
was very much noticeably faster.

Installs of even large packages seemed to fly compared to what I was
used to from yum.

Of course it could be difference in systems, or xz compression versus
presto or who knows what else ... but it leads me to ask ...

Are there any good performance benchmarks comparing yum with pacman
and apt etc?

gene/

Old 11-28-2011, 04:00 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 21:54 -0500, Genes MailLists wrote:
> I happened upon pacman on Arch linux - and it appeared to be
> substantially faster than yum. Now this was casual "visual impact only"
> - no formal tests using similar packages and same computer etc - but it
> was very much noticeably faster.
>
> Installs of even large packages seemed to fly compared to what I was
> used to from yum.
>
> Of course it could be difference in systems, or xz compression versus
> presto or who knows what else ... but it leads me to ask ...
>
> Are there any good performance benchmarks comparing yum with pacman
> and apt etc?
----
apt seems faster than yum but it seems that it is colored by the fact
that a typical Fedora/RHEL/CentOS install will have a lot more packages
installed than Debian/Ubuntu and it's perceptual, not that I have ever
timed it. I do have a kitchen sink Ubuntu box at my work and it has a
boatload of packages installed and it did seem to take some time to
update.

Then again, I tend to not use GUI updates and prefer using a virtual
console where I can invoke the updates and switch to something else
rather than watch the water come to a boil.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:25 AM
Ranjan Maitra

> ----
> apt seems faster than yum but it seems that it is colored by the fact
> that a typical Fedora/RHEL/CentOS install will have a lot more packages
> installed than Debian/Ubuntu and it's perceptual, not that I have ever
> timed it. I do have a kitchen sink Ubuntu box at my work and it has a
> boatload of packages installed and it did seem to take some time to
> update.
>
> Then again, I tend to not use GUI updates and prefer using a virtual
> console where I can invoke the updates and switch to something else
> rather than watch the water come to a boil.

Is yum considered to be a GUI application? Anyway, an aspect of
yum which may be helpful to look at is that when used with presto, it
never tells you how much it is going to really download. What I mean is
that it says Total download size: 110 M (say), but that amount is not
accounting for presto which will reduce the haul to much less. I think
that it would be more helpful to have a(nother) note saying how much it
will download. What good is it to have a note after the event that says
that presto reduced the download to 6% or whatever. Makes it look like
department store receipts that nowadays suggest that you "saved" xx% on
a sale item....

Ranjan

Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 11/28/2011 10:55 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> Is yum considered to be a GUI application? Anyway, an aspect of
> yum which may be helpful to look at is that when used with presto, it
> never tells you how much it is going to really download. What I mean is
> that it says Total download size: 110 M (say), but that amount is not
> accounting for presto which will reduce the haul to much less. I think
> that it would be more helpful to have a(nother) note saying how much it
> will download. What good is it to have a note after the event that says
> that presto reduced the download to 6% or whatever. Makes it look like
> department store receipts that nowadays suggest that you "saved" xx% on
> a sale item....

This is in bugzilla but it can't change unless the plugin is merged into
core yum because plugin hooks don't allow for the delta metadata to be
downloaded before the plugin is initiated.

Rahul