-   -   Anyone got three monitors working? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/603530-anyone-got-three-monitors-working.html)

Thomas Cameron 11-27-2011 06:41 PM

Anyone got three monitors working?

suvayu ali 11-28-2011 04:51 PM

Anyone got three monitors working?

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 20:41, Thomas Cameron
<thomas.cameron@camerontech.com> wrote:
> I am wondering, since my motherboard has a four PCI Express x1 ports and
> I see PCI Express x1 video cards for decent prices, if I can either
> replace my single card with two identical two-port X1 cards, or just add
> a single X1 video card to what I already have and get triple head.

I am not sure there are any cards in the market with support for more
than 2 monitors. If that is true SLI is your only option. And as far
as I know SLI is only supported by the proprietary drivers. You might
want to check up on that before you invest on another card.

--
Suvayu

Dale Dellutri 11-28-2011 05:29 PM

Anyone got three monitors working?

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Thomas Cameron
<thomas.cameron@camerontech.com> wrote:

> Howdy All -
>
> I have Gigabyte EP43-UD3L motherboard with a single PCI Express 2.0 x16
> slot. It currently has a decent NVidia card - a GeForce 7300 GT. I've
> got two monitors attached, one via the VGA port and one via the digital
> video port. It works well, I get accelerated X and wobbly windows and
> all that silliness. Guilty pleasure: I like eye candy.
>
> I'd *really* love to do triple head - the monitor in front of me for my
> main work, and the two side screens for supporting stuff.
>
> I am wondering, since my motherboard has a four PCI Express x1 ports and
> I see PCI Express x1 video cards for decent prices, if I can either
> replace my single card with two identical two-port X1 cards, or just add
> a single X1 video card to what I already have and get triple head.
>
> Has anyone done this?

I've used a Matrox M9140 LP PCIe x16 card which provides four monitor
connections successfully under Fedora 12 and 14, but I had to use the
proprietary Matrox driver.

However, if you can find a PCIe x1 card that provides one monitor
connection, I don't see why it wouldn't work unless your power supply
isn't big enough to run it.

--
Dale Dellutri

Don Krause 11-28-2011 05:54 PM

On Nov 28, 2011, at 9:51 AM, suvayu ali wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 20:41, Thomas Cameron
> <thomas.cameron@camerontech.com> wrote:
>> I am wondering, since my motherboard has a four PCI Express x1 ports and
>> I see PCI Express x1 video cards for decent prices, if I can either
>> replace my single card with two identical two-port X1 cards, or just add
>> a single X1 video card to what I already have and get triple head.
>>

> I am not sure there are any cards in the market with support for more
> than 2 monitors. If that is true SLI is your only option. And as far
> as I know SLI is only supported by the proprietary drivers. You might
> want to check up on that before you invest on another card.

Uhh, no, SLI has little to nothing to do with multiple monitor support..

We do 3 monitor systems, using 2 dual DVI Nvidia cards with the proprietary driver for a medical device, works fine.

The only "trick" is finding the proper BusID for your cards.

Here's a working xorg.conf for a 3 headed monitor setup, on CentOS 5, using Nvidia's proprietary drivers..

# Xorg configuration

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
Screen 1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
Screen 2 "Screen2" LeftOf "Screen0"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
Option "Clone" "off"
Option "Xinerama" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
# Option "DPMS"
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "DELL"
ModelName "P1130"
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
HorizSync 28.0 - 133.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 172.0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
# Option "DPMS"
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "DELL"
ModelName "P1130"
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
HorizSync 28.0 - 133.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 172.0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
# Option "DPMS"
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
Identifier "Monitor2"
VendorName "DELL"
ModelName "P1130"
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
HorizSync 28.0 - 133.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 172.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVidia"
BoardName "GeForce 7600 GT"
BusID "1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard1"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVidia"
BoardName "GeForce 7600 GT"
BusID "1:0:0"
Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard2"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVidia"
BoardName "GeForce 7600 GT"
BusID "2:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Videocard1"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen2"
Device "Videocard2"
Monitor "Monitor2"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

--
Don Krause
Head Systems Geek,

Mike Park 11-28-2011 05:55 PM

Anyone got three monitors working?

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Thomas Cameron
<thomas.cameron@camerontech.com> wrote:

> I'd *really* love to do triple head - the monitor in front of me for my
> main work, and the two side screens for supporting stuff.
>
> I am wondering, since my motherboard has a four PCI Express x1 ports and
> I see PCI Express x1 video cards for decent prices, if I can either
> replace my single card with two identical two-port X1 cards, or just add
> a single X1 video card to what I already have and get triple head.
>
> Has anyone done this?

I haven't tried using separate display adapters, but I'm currently
running F15 on triple head using an ATi Radeon HD 5770 card (I'll
confirm this model once I get back from work). This card, if I recall
correctly, offers (2) DVI ports and (1) DisplayPort port (I had to
purchase a separate DisplayPort->DVI adapter), which fired up my
desktop on all three screens w/ minimal fiddling (on both Gnome 3 and
KDE 4).

suvayu ali 11-28-2011 07:08 PM

Anyone got three monitors working?

Hi Don,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 19:54, Don Krause <dkrause@optivus.com> wrote:
> Uhh, no, SLI has little to nothing to do with multiple monitor support..
>
> We do 3 monitor systems, using 2 dual DVI Nvidia cards with the proprietary driver for a medical device, works fine.

I don't quite understand how one can have a single X server running on
multiple hardware. Does your system by any chance run multiple
displays instead of a single extended desktop? I am asking because I
see multiple "ScreenX" sections in your example xorg.conf. As far as I
understood the OP wants an extended workspace.

In any case, I would be glad if you could confirm or correct my
(possibly false/incomplete) understanding. :)

--
Suvayu

Don Krause 11-28-2011 07:58 PM

On Nov 28, 2011, at 12:08 PM, suvayu ali wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 19:54, Don Krause <dkrause@optivus.com> wrote:
>> Uhh, no, SLI has little to nothing to do with multiple monitor support..
>>
>> We do 3 monitor systems, using 2 dual DVI Nvidia cards with the proprietary driver for a medical device, works fine.
>>

> I don't quite understand how one can have a single X server running on
> multiple hardware. Does your system by any chance run multiple
> displays instead of a single extended desktop? I am asking because I
> see multiple "ScreenX" sections in your example xorg.conf. As far as I
> understood the OP wants an extended workspace.
>
> In any case, I would be glad if you could confirm or correct my
> (possibly false/incomplete) understanding. :)
>
> --
> Suvayu

It's a single desktop, display.0:0 across 3 screens, using xinerama.

It doesn't work at all with xorg's "nv" driver, but works flawlessly with the "nvidia" driver, at least version 180.51. (We've not tried any ATI cards for this, although our first iteration
used Matrox cards..)

AFAIK, you need the multiple Screen definitions to populate the "ServerLayout" section, unless there's a better way to arrange the screens,
which I haven't looked at, once setup, we can't change the config. (Documentation, Medical Device, etc…)

The relevant portion of xdpyinfo:

default screen number: 0
number of screens: 1

screen #0:
dimensions: 5760x1200 pixels (1524x318 millimeters)
resolution: 96x96 dots per inch
depths (7): 24, 15, 1, 4, 8, 16, 32

suvayu ali 11-28-2011 10:18 PM

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 21:58, Don Krause <dkrause@optivus.com> wrote:
> default screen number: * *0
> number of screens: * *1
>
> screen #0:
> *dimensions: * *5760x1200 pixels (1524x318 millimeters)
> *resolution: * *96x96 dots per inch
> *depths (7): * *24, 15, 1, 4, 8, 16, 32

Thanks a lot Don. I think I'll need to understand Xorg better. Your
comments will be very helpful. :)

--
Suvayu

DJ Delorie 11-29-2011 01:07 AM

Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron@camerontech.com> writes:
> I'd *really* love to do triple head - the monitor in front of me for my
> main work, and the two side screens for supporting stuff.

I have four monitors with Fedora. There are two options...

1. Use 2 or more standard nvidia cards (or any card, really) and use
Xinerama to combine them into a single "screen". This slows down
some applications (most are OK) but the result "just works", despite
years-old claims that Xinerama is "deprecated". I'm using two 9800GT
cards, for example.

2. Buy a card that supports more than two monitors. Matrox makes a
range of these, but beware - they have their own drivers and they're
not as responsive as, say, nvidia. I'm still trying to get the
latest one working sufficently. When I used the M9148 card with F12,
it was *wonderful*.

Thomas Cameron 11-29-2011 01:42 AM

On 11/28/2011 12:54 PM, Don Krause wrote:

> [...]
> # Option "DPMS"
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
> Identifier "Monitor1"
> VendorName "DELL"
> ModelName "P1130"
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
> HorizSync 28.0 - 133.0
> VertRefresh 43.0 - 172.0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
> # Option "DPMS"
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
> Identifier "Monitor2"
> VendorName "DELL"
> ModelName "P1130"
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:

Awesome, thanks.