Old 11-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Joe Zeff

Default Fedora - time to blink

On 11/27/2011 08:02 AM, Ian Chapman wrote:
> It's also required for me to add an applet to the gnome panel which is
> what I was referring to. I'm not understanding why I should have to

AIUI, you have to write and/or install various extensions to Gnome 3 to
regain functionality that was in Gnome 2 out-of-the-box. What I don't
understand, however, is why this is called progress.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Frank Murphy

On 27/11/11 16:33, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 11/27/2011 08:02 AM, Ian Chapman wrote:
>> It's also required for me to add an applet to the gnome panel which is
>> what I was referring to. I'm not understanding why I should have to
>
> AIUI, you have to write and/or install various extensions to Gnome 3 to
> regain functionality that was in Gnome 2 out-of-the-box. What I don't
> understand, however, is why this is called progress.

Possibly so someone can say
"It's not bloated, you installed all that stuff"

Old 11-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Ian Chapman

On 11/28/2011 12:33 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:

> AIUI, you have to write and/or install various extensions to Gnome 3 to
> regain functionality that was in Gnome 2 out-of-the-box. What I don't
> understand, however, is why this is called progress.

You're not supposed to understand. Just know that it's good for you ;-)

--
Ian Chapman.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Genes MailLists

On 11/27/2011 11:18 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 11/27/2011 09:10 PM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
>>
>> Actually, I have to disagree with you on that. What works or not is
>> *partially* subjective, especially when it comes to user experience.
>> There are some things that just don't work, period.
>
> I don't think you will find any real consensus on what doesnt work in
> say GNOME 3.x. Just using a few loud people in any list isn't useful.
> You will have to do a fairly extensive user interface research with
> samples from non technical users fully new to the user interface to
> conclude anything meaningful. I don't expect anyone will step up to do
> that and hence what we will get is almost fully subjective.

In the past some surveys were done - and some complained that the
sample was biased - whether by fedora users or users who subscribe to
the mailing lists - but the complainers were generally those who
disagreed with the outcome :-)

Not scientific at all - and whilst I have heard of a small number of
users on mailing lists etc who like the G3.2 tablet approach (hearsay) ...

... I can definitely speak to quite a few people who were gnome users
.. and all of them have abandoned it for KDE or XFCE ... small sample
and not meaningful for sure ...

One thing all the users I know have in common - they use their
computers for more than browsing/email. Some program (web dev or c/c++
developers, kernel coders), some use it for business, others for other
work). Some manage computers for others.

From my experience, its more than 'a few loud people' as suggested
above. Many are very quiet in fact .. and just move on.

The users on the fedora lists are definitely a subset of all users,
but I suspect they are nonetheless reasonably representative of the
majority either directly or because the manage computers for others.
Some use it as a heads up for RHEL as well ... whats coming down the
pike is useful for planning purposes.

gene

Old 11-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Neal Hogan

What is this thread about? Or maybe it's easier to say what it's not about ;-)

Old 11-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Maurizio Marini

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:45:50 -0600
Neal Hogan <nealhogan@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is this thread about? Or maybe it's easier to say what it's not
> about ;-)
welcome to fedora users!
I love this mlist for this threads without head and tail.
This is the only list by which i can't unsubscribe, really

Old 11-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 11/27/2011 10:13 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:

> In the past some surveys were done - and some complained that the
> sample was biased - whether by fedora users or users who subscribe to
> the mailing lists - but the complainers were generally those who
> disagreed with the outcome :-)

User interface research is what I suggested. Not surveys. I don't
really think this list is a reasonable sample. Mailing list tends to
attract a specific type of audience. You have to be knowledgeable
enough to subscribe and follow the list and be interested enough to
participate regularly. You can compare and contrast this to say even a
forum to know the difference.

A reasonable sample would include things like the one Sun did in the
GNOME 2.x ages long back or the more recent Novell one where you get
audience from different backgrounds, sex and age groups to do some basic
tasks and figure out what works, doesn't and needs improvement. Surveys
are not a replacement and dont convey anywhere close to that amount of
useful information.

Rahul

Old 11-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Carroll Grigsby

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:45:50 -0600
Neal Hogan <nealhogan@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is this thread about? Or maybe it's easier to say what it's not
> about ;-)

Well, now that you ask, I'd say that its about 50 to 100 messages too
long.

-- cmg

Old 11-27-2011, 03:57 PM
David

On 11/27/2011 11:45 AM, Neal Hogan wrote:
> What is this thread about? Or maybe it's easier to say what it's not about ;-)

It started as a Troll and has morphed into what you see now.

Which was probably the intention of the Troll. A long, never ending
'chat type' thread that meanders in content. On a help list. :-)

Old 11-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/27/2011 08:57 AM, David wrote:
> [...]

Please get your attributions right. There's nothing of mine quoted here.