Old 11-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Paul Allen Newell

Default question regarding f16 under various DEs

Fedora-list:

Since fc5, I have always downloaded an iso of the full image of Fedora
w/ Gnome. Given the emails on f15 and now f16, I am interested in
looking at alternatives to Gnome. After much clicking through the Fedora
site, it appears to me that only f16 w/ Gnome has a direct download DVD,
all the others are spins which only offer Live or BitTorrent versions
(this may be incorrect as I have no idea whether BitTorrent provides a
full image DVD or just a Live).

The reason I ask is that I have never had any luck with Live images and
prefer to install a new release of Fedora as a fresh install and not an
update ... and really like having media that has the release on it and
not a media that I still need to download more stuff to get the release.

Hopefully someone will politely tell me this is a dumb question and I
just missed something obvious; otherwise, I will assume that I have to
do kde, xfce, lxde, etc via Live.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Paul Allen Newell <pnewell@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> Fedora-list:
>
> Since fc5, I have always downloaded an iso of the full image of Fedora
> w/ Gnome. Given the emails on f15 and now f16, I am interested in
> looking at alternatives to Gnome. After much clicking through the Fedora
> site, it appears to me that only f16 w/ Gnome has a direct download DVD,
> all the others are spins which only offer Live or BitTorrent versions
> (this may be incorrect as I have no idea whether BitTorrent provides a
> full image DVD or just a Live).

There is only one install DVD, and it includes GNOME, XFCE, LXDE, and
KDE. While GNOME is installed by default, you can choose any (or all)
of the others in the package selection screen. Another option is to
use the netinstall image, which includes only the installer and
downloads all necessary packages upon installation.

And yes, the install DVD is available by torrent. Both the install
DVD torrent and the netinstall images can be downloaded from the
"Install Media" section of this page:
http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all

-T.C.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Paul Allen Newell

On 11/26/2011 11:14 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Paul Allen Newell<pnewell@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
>> Fedora-list:
>>
>> Since fc5, I have always downloaded an iso of the full image of Fedora
>> w/ Gnome. Given the emails on f15 and now f16, I am interested in
>> looking at alternatives to Gnome. After much clicking through the Fedora
>> site, it appears to me that only f16 w/ Gnome has a direct download DVD,
>> all the others are spins which only offer Live or BitTorrent versions
>> (this may be incorrect as I have no idea whether BitTorrent provides a
>> full image DVD or just a Live).
> There is only one install DVD, and it includes GNOME, XFCE, LXDE, and
> KDE. While GNOME is installed by default, you can choose any (or all)
> of the others in the package selection screen. Another option is to
> use the netinstall image, which includes only the installer and
> downloads all necessary packages upon installation.
>
> And yes, the install DVD is available by torrent. Both the install
> DVD torrent and the netinstall images can be downloaded from the
> "Install Media" section of this page:
> http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all
>
> -T.C.
T.C.:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

If the "one install DVD" has all of the DEs (gnome, kde, xfce, and
lxde), how does one tell the installation process which one to use? This
may be pure newbie on my part, but when I do an install I have never
seen an option to pick the DE.

Paul

Old 11-27-2011, 06:27 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Paul Allen Newell <pnewell@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> If the "one install DVD" has all of the DEs (gnome, kde, xfce, and
> lxde), how does one tell the installation process which one to use? This
> may be pure newbie on my part, but when I do an install I have never
> seen an option to pick the DE.

Select "Customize now" from the bottom of this screen, which should
appear immediately after disk partitioning on DVD and net installs:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Installation_Guide/s1-pkgselection-x86.html

Then, select Desktop Environments from the left listbox in this
screen, and choose your desktop environment from the right listbox:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Installation_Guide/sn-package-selection-x86.html

-T.C.