-   -   Problem booting under F16 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/603292-problem-booting-under-f16.html)

Joe Zeff 11-27-2011 01:55 AM

Problem booting under F16

Recently I upgraded my laptop to F16 using preupgrade. This morning, at
a convention, I did a system update that included (I thought) a new
kernel. The next time I booted, the system hung, with no output. I had
to power-cycle to try again, this time getting error messages: it
couldn't find libcrypt.so.1 and there were a number of failures of
systemd-remount-api-vfs. I power-cycled again, and hit the space bar to
enter the GRUB menu. There was one F16 kernel, the upgrade, and the
latest F14 kernel, which worked.

After several experiments, I found that libcrypt.so.1 is provided by
glibc-devel, so I told yum to install it, which brought along some other
things I'd thought I'd had. Alas, it didn't fix the boot failure.
Although this isn't my main box, I'd like to keep it working as well as
I can, and would prefer to be using an F16 kernel if I'm running F16, as
I appear to be.

Also, as a side note, I'd tried using the fedorautils and made the
mistake of adding the color terminal, finding that I don't like it. How
do I reverse this?

Sam Varshavchik 11-27-2011 04:10 AM

Problem booting under F16

Joe Zeff writes:

Recently I upgraded my laptop to F16 using preupgrade. This morning, at
a convention, I did a system update that included (I thought) a new
kernel. The next time I booted, the system hung, with no output. I had
to power-cycle to try again, this time getting error messages: it
couldn't find libcrypt.so.1 and there were a number of failures of
systemd-remount-api-vfs. I power-cycled again, and hit the space bar to
enter the GRUB menu. There was one F16 kernel, the upgrade, and the
latest F14 kernel, which worked.

After several experiments, I found that libcrypt.so.1 is provided by
glibc-devel,

No, it's not. libcrypt.so.1 is provided by glibc, not glibc-devel.

[mrsam@monster ~]$ rpm -q -f /lib64/libcrypt.so.1
glibc-2.14.90-18.x86_64

Furthermore, if you have a corrupted libcrypt.so.1, it wouldn't matter which
kernel you're booting. You wouldn't be able to boot anything. No matter
which kernel you boot, you're running the same userspace, and the same set
of userspace libraries. If a fundamental, key rpm like glibc is bad, you're
bricked, until you fix it in rescue mode.

Unless you're in the business of actually building, and compiling anything,
you do not need any -devel package.

so I told yum to install it, which brought along some other
things I'd thought I'd had. Alas, it didn't fix the boot failure.
Although this isn't my main box, I'd like to keep it working as well as
I can, and would prefer to be using an F16 kernel if I'm running F16, as
I appear to be.

There's no sufficient information to determine what your problem is. But,
whatever it is, you have to start with a stable filesystem. That's your
starting point. No matter what your problem is, if you have a corrupted
filesystem, you're going to spin around in circles. Given that you've
experienced boot failures, and hard resets, your first order of business is
to stabilize your filesystem.

# touch /forcefsck

Then reboot, using whichever kernel you're able to boot. If your boot starts
rhgb and plymouth, press ESC as soon as it comes up, to see the kernel
messages. You should see messages that confirm that all your filesystems are
getting fsck-ed. The end result is going to be either that fsck was able to
repair your filesystems, or not. If not, you have too much damage, and no
other option but to wipe and reinstall. fsck might result in an extra
reboot, and a second round of fscking, if there was damage to your root
filesystem. That's normal, as long as the second time around the job gets
done.

If fsck gives you a clean bill of health, and you can boot, the next step is
to validate your rpm database. Run 'rpm --rebuilddb'. From this point, you
have a stable filesystem, and a good rpm database, and you have a starting
point to figure out what's really broken with your overall system. If 'rpm --
rebuilddb' gave you an empty rpm database, or one that's obviously not
reflecting reality, you'll pretty much have to reinstall – it's possible to
restore it, if you spend some time to gather what you have, and what the rpm
database should really show for you, but that'll be very time consuming, and
the path of least resistance is a reinstall.

At this point, with a stable filesystem and a good rpm database, you can
begin figuring out why you can't boot the latest kernel. The first thing to
try would be to remove, and reinstall the kernel rpm, in order to recreate
the boot initrd image, and the grub menu entries. It's very possible that,
if your problem was a dud initrd, that would fix it.

Keep in mind that if, after a forced fsck (and an rpm rebuild, I suppose),
you ended up with an unbootable brick, it wasn't caused by the fsck. You
were bricked to start with. All that fsck did was make it obvious.

http://fedorautils.sourceforge.net/revert.html

Joe Zeff 11-27-2011 04:15 AM

Problem booting under F16

On 11/26/2011 09:10 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Furthermore, if you have a corrupted libcrypt.so.1, it wouldn't matter
> which kernel you're booting. You wouldn't be able to boot anything. No
> matter which kernel you boot, you're running the same userspace, and the
> same set of userspace libraries. If a fundamental, key rpm like glibc is
> bad, you're bricked, until you fix it in rescue mode.

First, glibc was one of the things brought it. Second, I don't encrypt
anything on this computer. I'll try letting it fsck itself and see what
happens.

Joe Zeff 11-27-2011 04:26 AM

Problem booting under F16

On 11/26/2011 09:10 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Furthermore, if you have a corrupted libcrypt.so.1, it wouldn't matter
> which kernel you're booting

The specific message is that /sbin/sulogin failed because it coulden't
find libcrypt.so.1.

I touched /forcefsck and rebooted into the F16 kernel and it hung.
Tried again with the F14 and it either ignored the /forcefsck or it'd
been nuked by the failed boot. Will try again.

Sam Varshavchik 11-27-2011 04:27 AM

Problem booting under F16

Joe Zeff writes:

On 11/26/2011 09:10 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Furthermore, if you have a corrupted libcrypt.so.1, it wouldn't matter
> which kernel you're booting. You wouldn't be able to boot anything. No
> matter which kernel you boot, you're running the same userspace, and the
> same set of userspace libraries. If a fundamental, key rpm like glibc is
> bad, you're bricked, until you fix it in rescue mode.

First, glibc was one of the things brought it. Second, I don't encrypt
anything on this computer.

No, you most certainly do. Everyone who installs Fedora ends up encrypting
something. I'll bet that all your passwords in /etc/shadow are encrypted,
for example. Because that's the kind of things libgcrypt.so.1 is responsible
for.

Joe Zeff 11-27-2011 06:43 AM

Problem booting under F16

On 11/26/2011 09:27 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> No, you most certainly do. Everyone who installs Fedora ends up
> encrypting something. I'll bet that all your passwords in /etc/shadow
> are encrypted, for example. Because that's the kind of things
> libgcrypt.so.1 is responsible for.

I sit corrected. Thank you. The odd thing is that /sbin/sulogin can't
find it if and only if I use the latest kernel. Checking, it's in /lib,
which is where I'd expect to find it.

JB 11-27-2011 11:09 AM

Problem booting under F16

Joe Zeff <joe <at> zeff.us> writes:

> On 11/26/2011 09:10 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Furthermore, if you have a corrupted libcrypt.so.1, it wouldn't matter
> > which kernel you're booting
>
> The specific message is that /sbin/sulogin failed because it coulden't
> find libcrypt.so.1.
>
> I touched /forcefsck and rebooted into the F16 kernel and it hung.
> Tried again with the F14 and it either ignored the /forcefsck or it'd
> been nuked by the failed boot. Will try again.

At boot time stop F16 kernel and append this boot kernel command line param:
systemd.unit=rescue.target
which should set up the base system and a rescue shell (similar to run level 1),
but without sulogin executed.

From there you can run all you can, e.g.
# fsck
# package-cleanup --dupes
# package-cleanup --problems
# rpm -V -a --quiet
and whatever else you wish.

When you finish you can leave by:
# shutdown -Fr now
or
# exit

On boot, this time stop as above once again and change that kernel boot option
to:
systemd.unit=multi-user.target
which should bring you to non-GUI login.

After that your system should be yours (debug/investigate it if needed).

JB

Sam Varshavchik 11-27-2011 01:13 PM

Problem booting under F16

Joe Zeff writes:

On 11/26/2011 09:27 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> No, you most certainly do. Everyone who installs Fedora ends up
> encrypting something. I'll bet that all your passwords in /etc/shadow
> are encrypted, for example. Because that's the kind of things
> libgcrypt.so.1 is responsible for.

I sit corrected. Thank you. The odd thing is that /sbin/sulogin can't
find it if and only if I use the latest kernel. Checking, it's in /lib,
which is where I'd expect to find it.

sulogin is only used when you're dropping into single user mode. Why would
you be dropping into single user mode, if you select the newest kernel for
booting.

Again, I'd suggest uninstalling the most recent kernel, and reinstalling it,
in order to regenerate the initrd, and the grub menu item for it, afresh.

Joe Zeff 11-27-2011 03:12 PM

Problem booting under F16

On 11/27/2011 04:09 AM, JB wrote:
> From there you can run all you can, e.g.
> # fsck
> # package-cleanup --dupes
> # package-cleanup --problems
> # rpm -V -a --quiet
> and whatever else you wish

I suspect that things aren't quite as bad as you think; I'm using the
"badly corrupted" computer right now and all seems well as long as I
don't boot into the most recent kernel. Still, I'll try some of this
after I get home from the convention and have time to play with it.
Thanx for your suggestions.

Joe Zeff 11-27-2011 03:19 PM

Problem booting under F16

On 11/27/2011 06:13 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Again, I'd suggest uninstalling the most recent kernel, and reinstalling
> it, in order to regenerate the initrd, and the grub menu item for it,
> afresh.

That's probably the best idea of all. I don't remember your mentioning
it before and don't have time for it now, but I'll do that after I get home.