Old 12-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Joe Zeff

Default Problem booting under F16

On 11/27/2011 06:13 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Again, I'd suggest uninstalling the most recent kernel, and reinstalling
> it, in order to regenerate the initrd, and the grub menu item for it,
> afresh.

More info, now that I've had the time to play with my laptop. First,
the kernel in question is 3.1.2-1.fc16.i686.PAE. Second, /etc/grub.conf
is simply a link to the file in /boot/grub and third,
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg was a zero byte file. Simply running
grub2-mkconfig streamed the new file to stdout; checking, I needed to
add the switch -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to have it write the new file
out. Alas, rebooting to the new kernel didn't work. Aside from
uninstall/reinstall, are there any other suggestions?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/27/2011 06:13 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Again, I'd suggest uninstalling the most recent kernel, and reinstalling
> it, in order to regenerate the initrd, and the grub menu item for it,
> afresh.

I used yumex to do a full update on my laptop, having it remove the most
recent kernel as well. Then, after making sure that
/boot/grub/grub.conf was current, I had it install the most recent
kernel again. The kernel showed up again, correctly and there was a new
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg written during the install.

I tried rebooting to the new kernel. The teardrop appeared, and
vanished, followed by a long list of reports from systemd. Then,
SELinux reported that it needed to relabel things, warning that it might
take a long time, followed by a report that it was building the volatile
files and directories. It sat there, with no disk activities for about
ten minutes, when I tried again with the same results. As always,
booting into the last good F14 kernel works exactly as it should. (As
far as I can tell, no SELinux relabeling needed under that kernel.)

I don't want to set up a kickstart file to make sure that my UserID
stays at 500, and to get the rest of my programs properly installed but
it seems like that might be the only way to fix this. And, of course, I
need to upgrade my desktop before F14 reaches EOL, but what's been going
on with my laptop makes me worry because I need to have at least one of
them up and running properly.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Joe Zeff

Currently, the laptop goes into emergency mode and hangs two out of
three times if I use the newest kernel. The third time it continues
until it says that SELinux needs to relabel things and that it might
take a while. Then it just sits with no disk activity until I power
cycle it. If I try booting from the old F14 kernel, it's a Ronson:
"first time, every time." No trouble booting.

One of the things worrying me now is that I have three kernels: the
newest, the upgrade kernel and the old, working one. I'd like to get
rid of the upgrade kernel, safely, so that the next kernel update
doesn't nuke the only working one I currently have. Anybody know how?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Craig White

On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 13:37 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> Currently, the laptop goes into emergency mode and hangs two out of
> three times if I use the newest kernel. The third time it continues
> until it says that SELinux needs to relabel things and that it might
> take a while. Then it just sits with no disk activity until I power
> cycle it. If I try booting from the old F14 kernel, it's a Ronson:
> "first time, every time." No trouble booting.
>
> One of the things worrying me now is that I have three kernels: the
> newest, the upgrade kernel and the old, working one. I'd like to get
> rid of the upgrade kernel, safely, so that the next kernel update
> doesn't nuke the only working one I currently have. Anybody know how?
----
I am under the impression that you can change the 'installonly_limit'
value in /etc/yum.conf (of which kernel is definitely one of those) but
to be honest, I've never tinkered with it.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 AM
Joe Zeff

On 12/05/2011 05:57 PM, Craig White wrote:
> I am under the impression that you can change the 'installonly_limit'
> value in /etc/yum.conf (of which kernel is definitely one of those) but
> to be honest, I've never tinkered with it.

I've also heard that, but wasn't sure just where it was. I wonder if it
would be safe to edit grub.conf by moving the upgrade kernel to the
bottom and rebuilding grub.cfg so that if there's another kernel update
before I get this fixed, the working kernel isn't nuked.

Also, somebody on fedoraforum says that if you upgrade by yum (I used
preupgrade) it installs grub2 but doesn't actually activate it. You
have to do that part yourself. Do you know anything about this?

Old 12-06-2011, 01:13 PM
JB

Joe Zeff <joe <at> zeff.us> writes:

> Currently, the laptop goes into emergency mode and hangs two out of
> three times if I use the newest kernel. The third time it continues
> until it says that SELinux needs to relabel things and that it might
> take a while.

Change selinux config to this (for the time being):
# cat /etc/sysconfig/selinux
# SELINUX=enforcing
SELINUX=disabled

> One of the things worrying me now is that I have three kernels: the
> newest, the upgrade kernel and the old, working one. I'd like to get
> rid of the upgrade kernel, safely, so that the next kernel update
> doesn't nuke the only working one I currently have. Anybody know how?

To remove an unneeded kernel:
# yum list installed "*kernel*"
kernel.i686 3.1.1-1.fc16 @updates
# yum remove "*kernel*3.1.1-1.fc16*"

Now, reboot your system to your latest F16 kernel and see what happens.
JB

Old 12-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Joe Zeff

On 12/06/2011 06:13 AM, JB wrote:
> To remove an unneeded kernel:
> # yum list installed "*kernel*"
> kernel.i686 3.1.1-1.fc16 @updates
> # yum remove "*kernel*3.1.1-1.fc16*"
>
> Now, reboot your system to your latest F16 kernel and see what happens.

Already did that and it didn't help. Thanx anyway. And as far as the
SELinux issue goes, it doesn't seem to be noticed unless I try to boot
into the latest kernel.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Terry Polzin

On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 10:52 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/06/2011 06:13 AM, JB wrote:
> > To remove an unneeded kernel:
> > # yum list installed "*kernel*"
> > kernel.i686 3.1.1-1.fc16 @updates
> > # yum remove "*kernel*3.1.1-1.fc16*"
> >
> > Now, reboot your system to your latest F16 kernel and see what happens.
>
> Already did that and it didn't help. Thanx anyway. And as far as the
> SELinux issue goes, it doesn't seem to be noticed unless I try to boot
> into the latest kernel.

Is there an error is /etc/sysconfig/selinux?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Joe Zeff

On 12/06/2011 11:31 AM, Terry Polzin wrote:
> Is there an error is /etc/sysconfig/selinux?

No.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Daniel J Walsh