Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Default Problem booting under F16

Old 11-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Joe Zeff

On 11/27/2011 05:05 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> You may want to run "yum reinstall<kernel version>" instead. I am
> not 100% sure, but it should generate a new initrd.

I've just gotten home and haven't had time to bring in everything (too
tired) let alone set up my laptop. However, man yum has this to say
about reinstall:

Will reinstall the identically versioned package as is currently
installed. This does not work for "installonly" packages, like
Kernels. reinstall operates on groups, files, provides and
filelists just like the "install" command.

Nice idea, though, and thanx for the thought.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Joe Zeff

On 11/27/2011 06:13 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Again, I'd suggest uninstalling the most recent kernel, and reinstalling
> it, in order to regenerate the initrd, and the grub menu item for it,
> afresh.

More information, now that I'm home again and have time to dig into
this. I went back into the yum history and found the update in
question. It included this line in the list of updates:

Install kernel-PAE-3.1.2-1.fc16.i686

At the bottom was this:

Scriptlet output:
1 grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template
2 grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template
3 grubby: doing this would leave no kernel entries. Not writing out
new config.

I'm not sure what went wrong, or where, but I don't think that
uninstalling and reinstalling that kernel will make any difference, at
least until the grubby issue is corrected.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Sam Varshavchik

Joe Zeff writes:

On 11/27/2011 06:13 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Again, I'd suggest uninstalling the most recent kernel, and reinstalling
> it, in order to regenerate the initrd, and the grub menu item for it,
> afresh.

More information, now that I'm home again and have time to dig into
this. I went back into the yum history and found the update in
question. It included this line in the list of updates:

Install kernel-PAE-3.1.2-1.fc16.i686

At the bottom was this:

Scriptlet output:
1 grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template
2 grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template
3 grubby: doing this would leave no kernel entries. Not writing out
new config.

If you upgraded from F15, grubby is complaining about the old grub.cfg. This
is harmless. rm /etc/grub.cfg to make this complaint go away.

I'm not sure what went wrong, or where, but I don't think that
uninstalling and reinstalling that kernel will make any difference, at
least until the grubby issue is corrected.

As log as grubby did its job with grub2, there is no issue.

If grubby is having a problem with grub2, using grub2-mkconfig should fix it.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Joe Zeff

On 12/01/2011 04:02 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> If you upgraded from F15, grubby is complaining about the old grub.cfg.
> This is harmless. rm /etc/grub.cfg to make this complaint go away.

No, from F14, but the point's still good. As to the other, I'll try it
as soon as I have time, then report back. Thanx.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Joe Zeff

On 12/01/2011 04:02 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> As log as grubby did its job with grub2, there is no issue.
>
> If grubby is having a problem with grub2, using grub2-mkconfig should
> fix it.

More thoughts. Remember, Sam, that I can't boot into the new kernel so
there might be an issue. (I just remembered that the laptop hung on
shutdown after that update, forcing me to use the power button and
that's very much not normal.)

I take it that you suggest getting rid of that file in /etc, re-running
grub2-mkconfig and trying to boot again into the new kernel?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Terry Polzin

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 12:17 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/01/2011 04:02 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > As log as grubby did its job with grub2, there is no issue.
> >
> > If grubby is having a problem with grub2, using grub2-mkconfig should
> > fix it.
>
> More thoughts. Remember, Sam, that I can't boot into the new kernel so
> there might be an issue. (I just remembered that the laptop hung on
> shutdown after that update, forcing me to use the power button and
> that's very much not normal.)
>
> I take it that you suggest getting rid of that file in /etc, re-running
> grub2-mkconfig and trying to boot again into the new kernel?

Can you boot into rescue mode from install media (don't forget to enable
the network) and mount the filesystems?

chroot /mnt/sysimage ; then try another yum update see if a newer kernel
yet will fix things.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Joe Zeff

On 12/01/2011 12:38 PM, Terry Polzin wrote:
> Can you boot into rescue mode from install media (don't forget to enable
> the network) and mount the filesystems?
>
> chroot /mnt/sysimage ; then try another yum update see if a newer kernel
> yet will fix things.

Why? I can, and do boot into the last working kernel from F14 just
fine. And, no, there's not been a new kernel in the last few days.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Joe Zeff writes:

On 12/01/2011 04:02 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> As log as grubby did its job with grub2, there is no issue.
>
> If grubby is having a problem with grub2, using grub2-mkconfig should
> fix it.

More thoughts. Remember, Sam, that I can't boot into the new kernel so
there might be an issue. (I just remembered that the laptop hung on
shutdown after that update, forcing me to use the power button and
that's very much not normal.)

I take it that you suggest getting rid of that file in /etc, re-running
grub2-mkconfig and trying to boot again into the new kernel?

The warning from grubby can be due either to grubby choking on grub.cfg, old
grub 1 config file, which is not needed any more, or if grubby can't figure
out what to do with grub2. grubby, when told to do its thing, will check to
see if either grub 1 or grub 2 is installed, and run through both of them.

It's not clear if your grubby warnings are due to the old grub 1 config, or
the current grub 2 config. If it's grub 1, deleting grub.cfg will shut
grubby up. If it's grub 2, I found that rerunning grub2-mkconfig generates a
new grub 2 config file that will make grubby happy, going from that point on.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Joe Zeff

On 12/01/2011 02:15 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> It's not clear if your grubby warnings are due to the old grub 1 config,
> or the current grub 2 config. If it's grub 1, deleting grub.cfg will
> shut grubby up. If it's grub 2, I found that rerunning grub2-mkconfig
> generates a new grub 2 config file that will make grubby happy, going
> from that point on.

When I have the time, I'll nuke that file as you suggested and re-run
grub2-mkconfig. If there aren't any error messages, I'll reboot into
the new kernel and see what happens. If nothing else, we'll have more
information to go on.