Old 11-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Bob Goodwin

Default .vcf files -

On 26/11/11 20:00, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Bob Goodwin<bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:
>>> Depends what you mean by "display". Most of the mail clients can import
>>> VCF files as contact records.
>>>
>>> poc
>>>
>> I'm not sure myself, a text editor or Libreoffice will display
>> the raw data but apparently there is some format the data goes into.
>>
>> My daughter has nothing but Apple equipment and has been on the
>> phone with them for hours this weekend trying to sort out some
>> problem, came around with the phone in her ear still talking and
>> asked if I could display those files. I have never seen anything
>> that convinces me the Mac is easy to use! Always problems and my
>> daughter is computer literate.
>>
>> Google describes them as some sort of record cards that can be
>> displayed in OSX and Windows. I didn't find anything like that
>> for Linux. I certainly don't want the stuff in my Thunderbird app.
>>
>> Just though there might be something I haven't found.
> It's a little awkward, but you can install the "vobject" Python module
> and use it to read it:
>
> sudo yum install python-vobject
> python -c 'import vobject; vobject.readOne(open("file.vcf")).prettyPrint()'
>
> -T.C.

I was able to display some of the data in a new Thunderbird
account's address book. There are about 2000 "cards," about 21
megs of data! The T-bird address book only displays some of the
data, I guess just in columns it recognizes, Name and E-Mail
addresses. At least it shows that the data is probably all there.

The above routine almost works but only begins to show some
gibberish from the beginning:

[bobg@box9 ~]$ python -c 'import vobject;
vobject.readOne(open("/home/bobg/Documents/11-26-2011-H2-DAD.vcf")).prettyPrint()'
VCARD
UID: cfc17ee7-1f82-4cdc-8b5a-16a7aec4915e
CATEGORIES: [u'ALL-Cards-Sep-2011', u'card']
N:
NOTE: As of April- 2011
ginette GREENE
Matthew-Lucas GREENE
Robert GOODWIN
4382
5802
9289
8005

4382580292898005

fulload55
smiles01

VERSION: 3.0
PRODID: -//Apple Inc.//Address Book 6.1//EN
ORG: [u'AAA']
FN: AAA

I expected to see it list all 2000 records? I don't know how to
deal with that but would be interested in seeing it.

Thanks for considering this, I appreciate the responses.

Bob

Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 19:09 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Is there a Linux application that will display a .vcf file?

You can use any text editor to look at the contents, it's just a list of
fields and data, in a form style. Not exactly like this, but it's the
idea behind the technique:

name: Tim
email: ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au

They're an electronic business, or visiting, card. And they contain as
much information as the person put into it, or the recipient added to it
when they saved it. They can hold names, numbers, addresses, encoded
pictures, etc.

If you want to parse the data, that's another matter. But you haven't
said what your needs are. Just to be able to see the content, or do
something with it.

There are a variety of formats, and some of the data may not be
recognised for what it is by some readers (which may not show you that
data, or just show the raw data for you to figure out what it is).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:
> * * * *I was able to display some of the data in a new Thunderbird
> * * * *account's address book. There are about 2000 "cards," about 21
> * * * *megs of data! The T-bird address book only displays some of the
> * * * *data, I guess just in columns it recognizes, Name and E-Mail
> * * * *addresses. At least it shows that the data is probably all there.
>
> * * * *The above routine almost works but only begins to show some
> * * * *gibberish from the beginning:

<output snipped>

The output may be something about the format of the vcf files. The
one I tested came out like this (anonymized as it was a real person
who probably doesn't want their info all over the internet :-), free
of all that garbage:

VCARD
TEL: 520-555-1212
TEL: 520-555-2345
ADR: One Linux Way
Fedoratown, AZ 85701
United States
TITLE: Delicious Meaty Treat
N: Beefy Miracle
VERSION: 2.1
ORG: [', u'Red Hat, Inc.']
EMAIL: ketchup@fedoraproject.org
FN: Beefy Miracle

> * * * *I expected to see it list all 2000 records? I don't know how to
> * * * *deal with that but would be interested in seeing it.

I wrote up this little script that uses it to read a bunch at once
using the same method:
https://gist.github.com/1396819

Download it and make it executable:
curl https://raw.github.com/gist/1396819/7060cb6f054dbc65104ed2f96ec90fe4967d84ed/readvcf.py
> readvcf
chmod +x readvcf

Then point it any number of vcards:
./readvcf /path/to/cards/*.vcf

Or spit the output into a file:
./readvcf /path/to/cards/*.vcf > cards.txt

-T.C.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:30 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

Sorry, I typoed that one. Try https://gist.github.com/1396830

Old 11-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 19:45 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 26/11/11 19:27, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 19:09 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >> Is there a Linux application that will display a .vcf file?
> > Depends what you mean by "display". Most of the mail clients can import
> > VCF files as contact records.
> >
> > poc
> >

> I'm not sure myself, a text editor or Libreoffice will display
> the raw data but apparently there is some format the data goes into.
>
> My daughter has nothing but Apple equipment and has been on the
> phone with them for hours this weekend trying to sort out some
> problem, came around with the phone in her ear still talking and
> asked if I could display those files. I have never seen anything
> that convinces me the Mac is easy to use! Always problems and my
> daughter is computer literate.
>
> Google describes them as some sort of record cards that can be
> displayed in OSX and Windows. I didn't find anything like that
> for Linux. I certainly don't want the stuff in my Thunderbird app.
>
> Just though there might be something I haven't found.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Recently I had to create a e-mail list that corresponds to a contact
list from evolution. Evolution will load a .vcf file. Using cut one can
easily isolate the e-mail addresses in the file. You also have to remove
the ^M character at the end of each line in the file. vim can do that.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 26/11/11 21:26, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 19:09 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> Is there a Linux application that will display a .vcf file?
> You can use any text editor to look at the contents, it's just a list of
> fields and data, in a form style. Not exactly like this, but it's the
> idea behind the technique:
>
> name: Tim
> email: ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au
>
> They're an electronic business, or visiting, card. And they contain as
> much information as the person put into it, or the recipient added to it
> when they saved it. They can hold names, numbers, addresses, encoded
> pictures, etc.
>
> If you want to parse the data, that's another matter. But you haven't
> said what your needs are. Just to be able to see the content, or do
> something with it.
>
> There are a variety of formats, and some of the data may not be
> recognised for what it is by some readers (which may not show you that
> data, or just show the raw data for you to figure out what it is).

Yes, I now understand what they are. I suspect that Apple has
sold her on a software system that doesn't fit her needs. If I
understand what she is telling me her data is stored in a
"cloud" server somewhere while she wants local copies stored on
several devices, desktop, portable, iPad, and what look like
some iPods to me, maybe they are telephones, I'm not sure? But
it seems that what she needs should be possible to do.

They need to be able to access their account data without
finding an internet connection. I was caught in the middle when
the Apple person on the phone asked if the .vcf files could be
displayed on another computer system and she brought it to me on
a flash drive. I didn't know what to do with it other than to
look at it as text. That was why I inquired of the list.

I have since spent some time examining the files and they appear
to be vcards interspersed among huge fields of meaningless data
which at first looked like image files but I have since come to
think it may be some sort of encryption? Whatever it's a
collection of stuff I can't do anything with and I am not sure
is even her data? I am losing interest in the project, my
curiosity is waning.

I appreciate all the help and if nothing else I know what a .vcf
file is and know that I can display the data in address book
format if nothing else.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 11-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 11:26 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I appreciate all the help and if nothing else I know what a .vcf
> file is and know that I can display the data in address book
> format if nothing else.
----
The thing to do is to use a completely different address book program
that you never use and you can import this data into this address book
without any fear of corrupting the data in an address book that you do
use and in the process, get to see how another address book program
works.

The binary data might very well be an image.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 11:26 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> Yes, I now understand what they are. I suspect that Apple has
> sold her on a software system that doesn't fit her needs. If I
> understand what she is telling me her data is stored in a
> "cloud" server somewhere while she wants local copies stored on
> several devices, desktop, portable, iPad, and what look like
> some iPods to me, maybe they are telephones, I'm not sure? But
> it seems that what she needs should be possible to do.
>
> They need to be able to access their account data without
> finding an internet connection.

Well, if they use several devices, then they will need some form of
central database, otherwise how would you deal with updates to a record
on one device being propagated through to the rest (such as a client
giving you their new phone number, and you typing it into your pad).

But, it sounds like what they also need are offline clients, that cache
the results (all the too-many-megabytes of them), then feed back updates
when they get the chance. And, if you're right, they probably need
something running on a local server, rather than the internet. Though
"the cloud" is becoming the latest Emperor's New Clothes.

Yes, you'll pay for the new toy. Pay to lease the software, and pay for
each and every access to it, through your mobile phone...

It's rather staggering the amount of money that well get splurged on
techno-updating the secretary's rolodex. I'm sure that, soon enough,
even very small businesses will be spending more on admin than actual
workers.

> I have since spent some time examining the files and they appear
> to be vcards interspersed among huge fields of meaningless data
> which at first looked like image files but I have since come to
> think it may be some sort of encryption?

Very likely that they're just pictures, and are something like base64
encoding (the same technique as used to send 8-bit binary files through
7-bit email services).

Chances are that it's not data that you even need (on all devices), and
you'd be filling them up with a lot of wasted data. If it's client
contact details on an ipad, so you can email the right person with a
quote, you probably only need the textual stuff.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 14:15 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> The thing to do is to use a completely different address book program
> that you never use and you can import this data into this address book
> without any fear of corrupting the data in an address book that you do
> use and in the process, get to see how another address book program
> works.

Or a second login, and using software that you're familiar with.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Ed Greshko

On 11/28/2011 07:13 AM, Tim wrote:
>> > I have since spent some time examining the files and they appear
>> > to be vcards interspersed among huge fields of meaningless data
>> > which at first looked like image files but I have since come to
>> > think it may be some sort of encryption?
> Very likely that they're just pictures, and are something like base64
> encoding (the same technique as used to send 8-bit binary files through
> 7-bit email services).

Of course one could always read the RFC
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6350). :-)

--
A common mistake that peole make when trying to design something
fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless