Old 11-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default .vcf files -

Is there a Linux application that will display a .vcf file?

Bob

Old 11-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 19:09 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Is there a Linux application that will display a .vcf file?
----
I am under the impression that the .vcf format is for transfer and most
address book programs should be able to import them (thereby creating a
new entry in your address book).

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 19:09 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Is there a Linux application that will display a .vcf file?

Depends what you mean by "display". Most of the mail clients can import
VCF files as contact records.

poc

Old 11-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 26/11/11 19:27, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 19:09 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> Is there a Linux application that will display a .vcf file?
> Depends what you mean by "display". Most of the mail clients can import
> VCF files as contact records.
>
> poc

I'm not sure myself, a text editor or Libreoffice will display
the raw data but apparently there is some format the data goes into.

My daughter has nothing but Apple equipment and has been on the
phone with them for hours this weekend trying to sort out some
problem, came around with the phone in her ear still talking and
asked if I could display those files. I have never seen anything
that convinces me the Mac is easy to use! Always problems and my
daughter is computer literate.

Google describes them as some sort of record cards that can be
displayed in OSX and Windows. I didn't find anything like that
for Linux. I certainly don't want the stuff in my Thunderbird app.

Just though there might be something I haven't found.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 11-27-2011, 12:00 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:
> On 26/11/11 19:27, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 19:09 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>> Is there a Linux application that will display a .vcf file?
>> Depends what you mean by "display". Most of the mail clients can import
>> VCF files as contact records.
>>
>> poc
>>

> * * * *I'm not sure myself, a text editor or Libreoffice will display
> * * * *the raw data but apparently there is some format the data goes into.
>
> * * * *My daughter has nothing but Apple equipment and has been on the
> * * * *phone with them for hours this weekend trying to sort out some
> * * * *problem, came around with the phone in her ear still talking and
> * * * *asked if I could display those files. I have never seen anything
> * * * *that convinces me the Mac is easy to use! Always problems and my
> * * * *daughter is computer literate.
>
> * * * *Google describes them as some sort of record cards that can be
> * * * *displayed in OSX and Windows. I didn't find anything like that
> * * * *for Linux. I certainly don't want the stuff in my Thunderbird app.
>
> * * * *Just though there might be something I haven't found.

It's a little awkward, but you can install the "vobject" Python module
and use it to read it:

sudo yum install python-vobject
python -c 'import vobject; vobject.readOne(open("file.vcf")).prettyPrint()'

-T.C.