Old 11-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Beartooth

Default Putting Gnome on a diet --- Aaarrrghghg

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 08:31:49 +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:

> Just install fedorautils.
> I'll give you a good gui way of doing it, along with other stuff:
> http://fedorautils.sourceforge.net/
>
> "Optimise boot" section.

I (Beartooth, not the OP) did that, and a bunch of other stuff,
too; and rebooted. Now suddenly my monitor is all crudded up worse than
anything I've ever seen from the dregs of Redmond.

*Something* (Accursed be its name!)that fedorautils did has
spread my whole home directory all over the screen -- it's worse than
chicken pox.

What in the name of all that's abominable is this, and how do I
consign it to eternal fire without messing up something else??

Old 11-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Frank Murphy

On 26/11/11 19:30, Beartooth wrote:
><snipped>
> I (Beartooth, not the OP) did that, and a bunch of other stuff,
> too; and rebooted. Now suddenly my monitor is all crudded up worse than
> anything I've ever seen from the dregs of Redmond.
>
> *Something* (Accursed be its name!)that fedorautils did has
> spread my whole home directory all over the screen -- it's worse than
> chicken pox.
>
> What in the name of all that's abominable is this, and how do I
> consign it to eternal fire without messing up something else??

It depends on what you did.
*Something* not being quite there.

Havn't any ill effects.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 11-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Ian Malone

On 26 November 2011 19:30, Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 08:31:49 +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
>
>> Just install fedorautils.
>> I'll give you a good gui way of doing it, along with other stuff:
>> http://fedorautils.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> "Optimise boot" section.
>
> * * * *I (Beartooth, not the OP) did that, and a bunch of other stuff,
> too; and rebooted. Now suddenly my monitor is all crudded up worse than
> anything I've ever seen from the dregs of Redmond.
>
> * * * **Something* (Accursed be its name!)that fedorautils did has
> spread my whole home directory all over the screen -- it's worse than
> chicken pox.
>
> * * * *What in the name of all that's abominable is this, and how do I
> consign it to eternal fire without messing up something else??

This sounds like "file manager manage the desktop".
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/configure-gnome-3-desktop-gnome-tweak-tool/

Old 11-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Beartooth

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:41:01 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:

> On 26 November 2011 19:30, Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 08:31:49 +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> Just install fedorautils.
>>> I'll give you a good gui way of doing it, along with other stuff:
>>> http://fedorautils.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> "Optimise boot" section.
>>
>> * * * *I (Beartooth, not the OP) did that, and a bunch of other
>> * * * *stuff,
>> too; and rebooted.
>> * * * **Something* has
>> spread my whole home directory all over the screen
>
> This sounds like "file manager manage the desktop".
> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/configure-gnome-3-desktop-gnome-tweak-tool/

Have I mentioned that the problem machine is running F14, not F16?

Anyway, I went to the makeuseof site, and combed through all I
could follow of that, plus alacarte, plus gnome-control-center, and more.
Some where, eventually, I found a line in a file manager (There seem to
be several file managers.) saying to use the home directory as a
desktop. It was *not* checked. I tried checking it, in case it had gotten
oriented backward somehow, but that made no difference. So I unchecked it
again.

I've been sending dispensable individual files to the trash,
sometimes from the desktop and sometimes from my opened home directory;
it does remove each from both places, no matter where I start.

I just tried rebooting it. It seems to be caught in a *long*
string of what I take to be error messages involving "[sr0]"

I have a faint recollection of having seen the like before, but
of having the machine eventually come up. I also note that when it seems
to hang on logging out, it often comes up with the F14 splash screen (the
one that looks like an explosion of broken blue glass with cobwebs), but
no display for logging in.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User