Old 11-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Reindl Harald

Default Fedora 15 as WLAN-AP

hi

does anybody know what hardware and configuraion-steps are needed to get
a fedora-pc working as WLAN access-point with WPA/WPA2

google shows me a lot of half-baken instructions which seems to be
mostly outdated for 2.6.41 / 3.0.x or missing wpa/ssid completly
since i think a bridge-script is not enough to specify SSID/WPA-key

and what cards are currently out-of-the-box supported and if they
call support ap-mode is also not clear for me this time

this two cards are available at my local hardware-dealer but how
to find out if supported before buy and as said how to configure
on fedora?

http://www.ditech.at/artikel/WDNK7/Wireless_PCI_Adapter_Rangebooster_D-LINK_DWA-547.html
http://www.ditech.at/artikel/WSNK12/Wireless_PCI_Adapter_LINKSYS_WMP600N_300_MBit_Dual _Band.html

Old 11-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:25:16 +0100
Reindl Harald wrote:

> hi
>
> does anybody know what hardware and configuraion-steps are needed to get
> a fedora-pc working as WLAN access-point with WPA/WPA2

Good luck - you'll need it :-).

http://linuxwireless.org/ has some tables of devices that have
AP support, but they tend to list things like chipsets, which
are difficult if not impossible to correlate with products
you can buy.

I have a little wireless USB dongle I got to sort-of work, but
I have to try plugging it in and initializing the software
two or three times before it actually works. You can find
my saga here:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/hardware/rtl8192cu/rtl8192cu.html

One thing I found with the USB dongle was that I had to
disable NetworkManager, or it would try and grab the wlan
interface and set it up as a client.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 26.11.2011 17:44, schrieb Tom Horsley:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:25:16 +0100
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> hi
>>
>> does anybody know what hardware and configuraion-steps are needed to get
>> a fedora-pc working as WLAN access-point with WPA/WPA2
>
> Good luck - you'll need it :-).

thank you :-)

> http://linuxwireless.org/ has some tables of devices that have
> AP support, but they tend to list things like chipsets, which
> are difficult if not impossible to correlate with products
> you can buy.

that is exactly my problem

if someone can call a buyable product which is out of the box
supported from current fedora-kernels and supports G/N because
mit printer in the kitchen supports only G with WPA there will
be a way to buy this thing somewhere

> I have a little wireless USB dongle I got to sort-of work, but
> I have to try plugging it in and initializing the software
> two or three times before it actually works. You can find
> my saga here:
> http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/hardware/rtl8192cu/rtl8192cu.html
maybe the sub-thing makes here more troubles as usually
but what can i say since i have never installed such a setup

i would generally pefer a pci-card, here a 3 slots free
and the cards with three antennas are looking fine

what i found some minutes ago:
http://old.tuxorials.de/linux-tipps/allgemeingueltig/52-wlan-accesspoint-mit-hostapd.html

this sounds quite easy and only a good wlan-card is the missing piece
and some iptables-stuff, but iptables is not really difficult for me

> One thing I found with the USB dongle was that I had to
> disable NetworkManager, or it would try and grab the wlan
> interface and set it up as a client.

well, this is not the problem, i never use networkmanager

the machine has two GBE-network-cards
one is the public interface and additionally a vmware-bridge
for two virtual machines and the other one for the local network

a hughe ip-tables-script does routing/masquerading as also route a
permanently active openvpn-connection and my vmware-nat into the LAN,
blocks china and russia, so this machine does all i need perfectly and
that is why i want to replace the "old" hardware-wlan-router with a
8-port-switch lying around here and finally have my whole IT in one box

if there is fire take it and run, sip-phone, keyboard and screen you can
buy everywhere later :-)

speaking about a brand new Core(TM) i7-2600 with 16 GB RAM
and 4x2 TB as RAID10 there should be no need for additional
hardware the next years :-)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 3C9:2B:65:95:9F
inet Adresse:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Maske:255.255.255.0
Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000
RX bytes:41146088 (39.2 MiB) TX bytes:70225632 (66.9 MiB)
Interrupt:20 Speicher:fe700000-fe720000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 00:50:8D:B5:CCE
inet Adresse:84.113.45.179 Bcast:84.113.45.255 Maske:255.255.255.0
Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000
RX bytes:24185678885 (22.5 GiB) TX bytes:3678721888 (3.4 GiB)
Interrupt:16 Speicher:fe6c0000-fe6e0000

lo Link encap:Lokale Schleife
inet Adresse:127.0.0.1 Maske:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:0
RX bytes:7682947490 (7.1 GiB) TX bytes:7682947490 (7.1 GiB)

tap0 Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse A2:EB:CE:2F:48:A8
inet Adresse:10.0.0.241 Bcast:10.0.0.255 Maske:255.255.255.0
Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:100
RX bytes:242962206 (231.7 MiB) TX bytes:65362520 (62.3 MiB)

vmnet8 Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 00:50:56:C0:00:08
inet Adresse:192.168.196.1 Bcast:192.168.196.255 Maske:255.255.255.0
Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:

Old 11-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 18:08:43 +0100,
Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

> if someone can call a buyable product which is out of the box
> supported from current fedora-kernels and supports G/N because
> mit printer in the kitchen supports only G with WPA there will
> be a way to buy this thing somewhere

If you are looking at buying hardware for this, why not consider buying
a wireless router and put openwrt on it? It will initially cost a bit
more than just buying a dongle, but you'll probably make that back in
power savings.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 26.11.2011 22:23, schrieb Bruno Wolff III:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 18:08:43 +0100,
> Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
>>
>> if someone can call a buyable product which is out of the box
>> supported from current fedora-kernels and supports G/N because
>> mit printer in the kitchen supports only G with WPA there will
>> be a way to buy this thing somewhere
>
> If you are looking at buying hardware for this, why not consider buying
> a wireless router and put openwrt on it? It will initially cost a bit
> more than just buying a dongle, but you'll probably make that back in
> power savings.

because it does not interest me

i am having here a wireless router
i want do replace htis device for several reasons

a) all this crap has only 4 ports
b) the homeserver is running 365/24

so i want to get rid of an additional device

so using the homeserver as Ap is power-saving because currently
if need a wireless-router AND a switch additionally to the
always-on-server instead having only a power-savong switch
and the machine

Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 26.11.2011 17:44, schrieb Tom Horsley:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:25:16 +0100
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> hi
>>
>> does anybody know what hardware and configuraion-steps are needed to get
>> a fedora-pc working as WLAN access-point with WPA/WPA2
>
> Good luck - you'll need it :-)

not really, with the right hardware it is easier than ever thought
my main problem was o find the right hardware and price does not matter
here because you will always buy headache while save money

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=549

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/systemd/system/hostapd.service
[Unit]
Description=Wireless-AP
After=network.target network-wlan-bridge.service
[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/hostapd -B /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Restart=always
RestartSec=1
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/systemd/system/network-wlan-bridge.service
[Unit]
Description=Wireless-AP-Bridge
After=network.service
Before=dhcpd.service network-wlan-bridge.service
[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/wlan-bridge.sh start
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /usr/local/bin/wlan-bridge.sh
#!/bin/bash

br="br0"
eth="eth0"
eth_ip="192.168.1.2"
eth_netmask="255.255.255.0"
eth_broadcast="192.168.1.255"

start_bridge () {
ifconfig $eth 0.0.0.0 promisc up
brctl addbr $br
brctl addif $br $eth
ifconfig $br $eth_ip netmask $eth_netmask broadcast $eth_broadcast up
}

stop_bridge () {
ifconfig $br down
brctl delbr $br
ifconfig $eth $eth_ip netmask $eth_netmask broadcast $eth_broadcast up
}

case "$1" in
start)
echo "Starting Bridge"
start_bridge
;;
stop)
echo "Stopping Bridge"
stop_bridge
;;
restart)
stop_bridge
sleep 1
start_bridge
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}" >&2
exit 1
;;
esac

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf