Old 11-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Tom Horsley

Default What is the capacity of a BD-R disk really?

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:15:29 +0000 (UTC)
Andre Robatino wrote:

> so
> if the container says "25 GB", that means 25*1000^3 bytes

Yea, that much I knew, but the best info I've found so
far is here:

http://www.hughsnews.ca/faqs/authoritative-blu-ray-disc-bd-faq/9-disc-capacity#9.2

and even it gets really fuzzy. Some variable amount of
overhead required for "defect management", and also
overhead for the UDF filesystem itself.

That page also implies you need to round the file sizes
up to next multiple of 65536 bytes when computing how much
space it will take to write them (which k3b apparently
does not do in its estimates).

Even taking all that into account, the files I tried to
write should have fit, but didn't, so somewhere between
300MB and 1GB of extra space was required by something
(maybe "defect management"?).

Old 11-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Andre Robatino

Tom Horsley <horsley1953 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:15:29 +0000 (UTC)
> Andre Robatino wrote:
>
> > so
> > if the container says "25 GB", that means 25*1000^3 bytes
>
> Yea, that much I knew, but the best info I've found so
> far is here:
>
> http://www.hughsnews.ca/faqs/authoritative-blu-ray-disc-bd-faq/9-disc-capacity#9.2
>
> and even it gets really fuzzy. Some variable amount of
> overhead required for "defect management", and also
> overhead for the UDF filesystem itself.

Using command-line tools, can you actually create an ISO of size <= 25 GB which
can't be burned to your media? I would hope that the advertised capacity doesn't
include unusable overhead, otherwise the number is meaningless.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:09:25 +0000 (UTC)
Andre Robatino wrote:

> Using command-line tools, can you actually create an ISO of size <= 25 GB which
> can't be burned to your media?

I haven't tried creating an ISO file because it takes so long to do that
then just as long to burn it, but I may go that route the next time I
accumulate enough data just to see what the numbers are.

In theory an ISO image less than 25,025,314,816 bytes should fit
(if the FAQ page I found is accurate).

> I would hope that the advertised capacity doesn't
> include unusable overhead, otherwise the number is meaningless.

It is close to meaningless anyway when none of the tools
work right with whatever algorithms they use :-).