Old 11-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default Suddenly cups does not run on boot

Suddenly cups is not stared on boot on the machine that is my
printseerver. (F16)

Now when I run systems-analyze blame cups.service is not one of the
services that appears in the printout. However, systemd says the
cups.service is enabled.

If I restart the service things work again.

Where can I look to fix the problem?

Old 11-26-2011, 03:21 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Suddenly cups is not stared on boot on the machine that is my
> printseerver. (F16)
>
> Now when I run systems-analyze blame cups.service is not one of the
> services that appears in the printout. However, systemd says the
> cups.service is enabled.
>
> If I restart the service things work again.
>
> Where can I look to fix the problem?

What is the output of "systemctl status cups.service" after booting
but before restarting CUPS? Do you see any errors in syslog from CUPS
during boot?

-T.C.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Genes MailLists

On 11/26/2011 10:36 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Suddenly cups is not stared on boot on the machine that is my
> printseerver. (F16)
>
> Now when I run systems-analyze blame cups.service is not one of the
> services that appears in the printout. However, systemd says the
> cups.service is enabled.
>
> If I restart the service things work again.
>
> Where can I look to fix the problem?

This sounds like cups is trying to start before the network is up -
kinda sounds like a cups systemd init file is awry ... just a guess tho
... i have vague recollections of similar sounding issue and had thought
it was resolved tho .. check bz to be sure tho' .

Old 11-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Brian Millett

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 09:36:50 -0600
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Suddenly cups is not stared on boot on the machine that is my
> printseerver. (F16)
>
> Now when I run systems-analyze blame cups.service is not one of the
> services that appears in the printout. However, systemd says the
> cups.service is enabled.
>
> If I restart the service things work again.
>
> Where can I look to fix the problem?

I had to run

systemctl enable cups.service

to get it to startup.

My system was an upgrade from F15.

--
Brian Millett
"If it makes you feel any better, I can send them a fruit basket."

Old 11-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 11:54 -0600, Brian Millett wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 09:36:50 -0600
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > Suddenly cups is not stared on boot on the machine that is my
> > printseerver. (F16)
> >
> > Now when I run systems-analyze blame cups.service is not one of the
> > services that appears in the printout. However, systemd says the
> > cups.service is enabled.
> >
> > If I restart the service things work again.
> >
> > Where can I look to fix the problem?
>
> I had to run
>
> systemctl enable cups.service
>
> to get it to startup.

it is: systemctl restart cups .service that I have to run to get cups to
work.

Where is the init file for cups.service?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:27:03 -0600
Aaron Konstam wrote:

> it is: systemctl restart cups .service that I have to run to get cups to
> work.
>
> Where is the init file for cups.service?

I haven't had problems with cups, but I've certainly had problems
with other services that use the network not functioning
at boot. I gave up trying to find the real problem and just
created the executable script /etc/rc.d/rc.local and put
stuff like this in it:

/bin/bash -c 'sleep 5 ; service stunnel restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
/bin/bash -c 'sleep 7 ; service postfix restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &

That way, the services that don't work at boot get restarted
a little while after the system is booted, and by backgrounding
the commands, the boot process doesn't hang running rc.local.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 09:21 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Suddenly cups is not stared on boot on the machine that is my
> > printseerver. (F16)
> >
> > Now when I run systems-analyze blame cups.service is not one of the
> > services that appears in the printout. However, systemd says the
> > cups.service is enabled.
> >
> > If I restart the service things work again.
> >
> > Where can I look to fix the problem?
>
> What is the output of "systemctl status cups.service" after booting
> but before restarting CUPS? Do you see any errors in syslog from CUPS
> during boot?
>
> -T.C.

After this boot cups worked on the client so I have little to report.
The output of: systemctl status cups.service

Is;
cups.service - CUPS Printing Service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled)
Active: active (running) since Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:51:07 -0600
Main PID: 687 (cupsd)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cups.service
└ 687 /usr/sbin/cupsd -f

But I got the same output when it did n work so I will stay confused
until I have a consistent story at which time I will ask again.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:37 PM
mike cloaked

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:27:03 -0600
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
>> it is: systemctl restart cups .service that I have to run to get cups to
>> work.
>>
>> Where is the init file for cups.service?
>
> I haven't had problems with cups, but I've certainly had problems
> with other services that use the network not functioning
> at boot. I gave up trying to find the real problem and just
> created the executable script /etc/rc.d/rc.local and put
> stuff like this in it:
>
> /bin/bash -c 'sleep 5 ; service stunnel restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
> /bin/bash -c 'sleep 7 ; service postfix restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
>
> That way, the services that don't work at boot get restarted
> a little while after the system is booted, and by backgrounding
> the commands, the boot process doesn't hang running rc.local.

Although most services are properly handled by systemd in f16 now
there are a few services that did not have their systemd scripts ready
at the point on f16 release. To check which are still on the old
system you can do "chkconfig --list" as root and it will give a list
of those services which are still on the old system and which
runlevels they will start on. For those services "chkconfig
servicename on" will get them to start at boot. For service daemons
that are fully handled by systemd then "systemctl enable
servicename.service" will get them to start at boot.

I am running several f16 machines, both i686 and x86_64 and they all
have cups running after a boot -

--
mike c

Old 11-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:37:24 +0000
mike cloaked wrote:

> I am running several f16 machines, both i686 and x86_64 and they all
> have cups running after a boot -

Yea, I didn't have a problem with cups either, but
even though systemd was starting some of my problematic
services at boot, and even though they appeared to be
running, they wouldn't work. Attempting to talk
to them always failed. Throwing in the restarts
in rc.local made them function again (no idea why).

Old 11-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 16:59 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 09:21 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > > Suddenly cups is not stared on boot on the machine that is my
> > > printseerver. (F16)
> > >
> > > Now when I run systems-analyze blame cups.service is not one of the
> > > services that appears in the printout. However, systemd says the
> > > cups.service is enabled.
> > >
> > > If I restart the service things work again.
> > >
> > > Where can I look to fix the problem?
> >
> > What is the output of "systemctl status cups.service" after booting
> > but before restarting CUPS? Do you see any errors in syslog from CUPS
> > during boot?
> >
> > -T.C.
>
> After this boot cups worked on the client so I have little to report.
> The output of: systemctl status cups.service
>
> Is;
> cups.service - CUPS Printing Service
> Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled)
> Active: active (running) since Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:51:07 -0600
> Main PID: 687 (cupsd)
> CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cups.service
> └ 687 /usr/sbin/cupsd -f
>
> But I got the same output when it did n work so I will stay confused
> until I have a consistent story at which time I will ask again.

What is maddening is that right after I boot, printing works. After
awhile it stops working.

Running: systemctl |grep cups
returns:
cups.path loaded active running
cups.service loaded active running
cups.socket loaded active running

When I run: systemctl restart cups.service
printing works again.

So it is not the interference of the network starting that is causing
the problem. Do I need to file a Bugzilla?