Old 03-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Nicu Buculei

Default Inkscape on the installable media

I think here is a good place to ask, as I have a good chance to get some
allies, we probably use this application about daily

Currently Inkscape is not part of any media release (for logical reasons):
- it is not included on the Desktop Live CD due to space restriction (it
drags some additional dependencies);
- it is not included on the traditional (formerly known as "Core") image
(CD/DVD), bu that media (despite being my personal favorite install
source) seems neglected: very little happens with it, is "uncool", all
modifications go to spins;
- our own Art Studio Spin is, and will be in the foreseeable future,
just a "to do" item.

What I try is to get some brainstorming, and, why not, some lobbying,
about how we can get it in an installable media. Preferably in due time
for F9.

I could probably raise the issue on the Desktop list, but I don't feel
comfortable doing so unless I can't come also with a way to free some
needed space on the Live CD.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Frank Murphy

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 15:18 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> I think here is a good place to ask, as I have a good chance to get some
> allies, we probably use this application about daily
>
> Currently Inkscape is not part of any media release (for logical reasons):
> - it is not included on the Desktop Live CD due to space restriction (it
> drags some additional dependencies);
> - it is not included on the traditional (formerly known as "Core") image
> (CD/DVD), bu that media (despite being my personal favorite install
> source) seems neglected: very little happens with it, is "uncool", all
> modifications go to spins;
> - our own Art Studio Spin is, and will be in the foreseeable future,
> just a "to do" item.

Why keep it as a to do item?
Mairin's kickstart file came in at 1.1 gb,
I would prefer to see it come it at cd size 650-700mb.

> What I try is to get some brainstorming, and, why not, some lobbying,
> about how we can get it in an installable media. Preferably in due time
> for F9.
>
> I could probably raise the issue on the Desktop list, but I don't feel
> comfortable doing so unless I can't come also with a way to free some
> needed space on the Live CD.

I'd say leave d alone, and go all out for our own spin.
Personally will be putting a new test machine over the summer maybe in
line for F10. Maybe make 10 not 9 an achievable goal,
with as many members as possible testing the apps that M has in the
kick-start file, then cull to make a live-cd.
(that couldcan be made upgradable?)

Take the bull by the horns, as with XFCE spin.

Frank

Old 03-25-2008, 04:14 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

I haven't seen first message of this topic, but imo, Inkscape shouldn't
be on official install CD or DVD, since it requires some skills,
adequate for Art spin.

--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/