-   -   wlan0 Problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/602937-wlan0-problems.html)

Sam Varshavchik 11-26-2011 03:42 AM

wlan0 Problems

Mike Dwiggins writes:

My wife's HP Pavilion is driving me crazy. It is a built in Wireless
setup (Centrino built-in chip). Every time I try to activate it in
fc14.X86_64 I get the "Unable to Activate due to RF-kill" message!

Yum info rfkill returns that rfkill is not installed. I am lost, do I
need to install rfkill and then issue an unblock command?

I have tried everything else but do not want to install something I do
not need.

Just an off the wall suggestion: take a close look and see if there's a
tiny hardware switch that turns wireless on/off, somewhere on the side of
the laptop.

Mike Dwiggins 11-26-2011 05:06 AM

wlan0 Problems

setup (Centrino built-in chip).* Every time I try to activate it
in

fc14.X86_64 I get the "Unable to Activate due to RF-kill"
message!

Yum info rfkill returns that rfkill is not installed.* I am
lost, do I

need to install rfkill and then issue an unblock command?

I have tried everything else but do not want to install
something I do

not need.

Just an off the wall suggestion: take a close look and see if
there's a tiny hardware switch that turns wireless on/off,
somewhere on the side of the laptop.

Tried that, there is a surface tap switch just like the one for
Audio.* It has no effect since Fedora was installed.*

The root of the problem seems to be that this version of Fedora does
not want to activate the wireless.* My HP G64 with the same software
version has no problems whatsoever!* It is indeed frustrating.

Lawrence Graves 11-26-2011 05:19 AM

wlan0 Problems

[...]

I am having the same problem. Every since I had install Fedora 16,
my nvidia drivers won't compile. I get an error message that says
iwlan won't compile. I think it is a firmware problem.

--

Lawrence Graves
All things are workable but don't all things work.