FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default ext4lazyinit?

I just reformatted a new 1TB USB 3.0 backup drive to
ext4, mounted it, and I'm watching constant disk
writes on my gkrellm display. I assume this is due
to the ext4lazyinit process which showed up when
I mounted the drive the first time.

Anyone know how long it is likely to be initializing
the tables? It has been running for about 20 minutes
already.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 AM
Boris Epstein
 
Default ext4lazyinit?

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:

I just reformatted a new 1TB USB 3.0 backup drive to

ext4, mounted it, and I'm watching constant disk

writes on my gkrellm display. I assume this is due

to the ext4lazyinit process which showed up when

I mounted the drive the first time.



Anyone know how long it is likely to be initializing

the tables? It has been running for about 20 minutes

already.

--

I would estimate the init would take 1-2 hours.
Beware of placing a large number in your ext3/ext4 partition. We made one with millions of them - and it took us on the order of 10 hours to fsck it. We could not afford that so we switched to xfs.

Boris.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-26-2011, 02:36 AM
Tom Horsley
 
Default ext4lazyinit?

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 22:26:42 -0500
Boris Epstein wrote:

> I would estimate the init would take 1-2 hours.

Yep. I think it took about 1 1/2 hours for the
disk activity to die down.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-26-2011, 02:42 AM
Boris Epstein
 
Default ext4lazyinit?

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 22:26:42 -0500

Boris Epstein wrote:



> I would estimate the init would take 1-2 hours.



Yep. I think it took about 1 1/2 hours for the

disk activity to die down.

--

I am sorry - I mistyped up above. I meant to say "large number of files". The size of the files in your file system does not matter as far as fsck duration is concerned - it is the number that matters.

So when you have millions of files the backup takes many hours. And XFS file system with the same number of files is up in minutes.
Boris.*
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org