Old 03-25-2008, 10:22 AM
"Valent Turkovic"

Default Do you remember Diva?

Do you remember Diva? I remember 2 years ago when I saw those fabulous
demos I was blown away what this video editor can do in 0.1 release!
The bad thing is that the developer burned out and wasn't willing to
work with GStreamer community in fixing issues gradually but wanted
something that JustWorked. So he said he will switch multimedia
framework from Gstreamer to something else but that was the end of the
project AFAIK.

How did I remember this dead project? I went to Fedora Google Summer
Of Code Ideas page and saw there an idea about non-linear video editor
[1]

Is there any chance somebody resurrects this project?

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding/2008/Ideas#head-d9b1bab65802bd1828e33fcecd9bf7de39976d8d

some interesting links regarding Diva Project:
http://files.diva-project.org/
http://digg.com/linux_unix/First_version_of_the_Diva_Video_Editor_has_been_re leased
http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2006/Apr-13.html
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:XIn2mtwDkMAJ:www.mdk.org.pl/2006/12/7/state-of-diva+http://www.mdk.org.pl/articles/2006/12/07/state-of-diva&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1
http://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2006/12/08/comment-on-diva/

Video Demos:
http://www.archive.org/details/DivaLinuxVideoEditorDemo01
http://www.archive.org/details/DivaLinuxVideoEditorDemo02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22qz_VWrzFo&fmt=6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1NF-tB9Lk&fmt=6

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

Old 03-25-2008, 10:41 AM
"Valent Turkovic"

Here are tinyurls for two longest ones:

Fedora Google Summer Of Code 2008 Ideas:
http://tinyurl.com/3yt9hk

MDK: State of Diva:
http://tinyurl.com/2sdufn

Old 03-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>Here are tinyurls for two longest ones:
>
>Fedora Google Summer Of Code 2008 Ideas:
>http://tinyurl.com/3yt9hk
>
>MDK: State of Diva:
>http://tinyurl.com/2sdufn

Which is too bad, but he is correct, the framework just isn't there.

I see lIVES and Open Movie Editor were both mentioned in the comments, and
while the GUI for either was decent, the ability to recover from errors
wasn't. I was handed a project that I really should have figured out a way
to get it into kino & just do soome cuts editing, but made the mistake of
trying lIVES first, and was two days into the thing when the audio completely
disappeared from my hard drive, and was not findable by either program, or by
mc even. I had already given the src materials back at that point so I
scrapped the project.

I use kde here, and everytime I've tried to fool with gstreamer, its been a
disaster. Possibly of my own making, but a disaster nontheless. I don't
like stuff that takes over un-related functions and destroys my ability to
watch cnn videos etc without leaving enough clues behind to allow a gracefull
recovery, so after getting burnt twice, I now skip any gstreamer updates that
show up in yumex.

>--
>http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
>linux, blog, anime, spirituality, windsurf, wireless
>registered as user #367004 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
>ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 03-25-2008, 05:55 PM
"Valent Turkovic"

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> >Here are tinyurls for two longest ones:
> >
> >Fedora Google Summer Of Code 2008 Ideas:
> >http://tinyurl.com/3yt9hk
> >
> >MDK: State of Diva:
> >http://tinyurl.com/2sdufn
>
> Which is too bad, but he is correct, the framework just isn't there.

Yes he is right, but too bad that he didn't have the will to push the
framework forward but he simply gave up

Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 PM
rick_777

Valent: I'm Rick Garcia from the Saya-VE (a.k.a. Saya Video Editor) project. First of all, the good news: Saya has now seven team members (4 devs, 1 beta tester and 2 usability nazis/UI advisors - one, expert in Adobe Premiere, the other one in Sony Vegas) and an official website at SourceForge: http://sayavideoeditor.sourceforge.net/ [1]

Currently I'm writing the developers' guide.

After a long discussion in the Fedora Marketing Team mailing list (the topic being patent problems and lack of official ffmpeg releases), I'm considering switching to GStreamer, but i'm hesitating again after reading Gene's post. I also read MDK's blog entry, but he was too generic and he didn't provide any details (I've tried to contact him in a couple of occasions, but never received any reply - perhaps I said the wrong things and made him feel insulted, but there's no way to know unfortunately).

My question is: Do you have first-hand experiences with gstreamer and can tell us why, in your opinion, it wasn't appropriate for Diva?

Sincerely,
Rick Garcia.

Links:
------