Old 11-25-2011, 07:24 PM

Default penta-booting hard-disk: who would administer the hard-disk office?

On 11/25/2011 04:38 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 11/25/2011 05:04 PM, g wrote:
<>

>> years back when i started playing with slackware linux, i still had oos
>> installed and used an oos master boot loader.

change that to 'master boot loader written for oos'.

> Yeah, I recall similar incidents many years ago. I don't recall the
> details, but wasn't there some HW/BIOS limitation (LBA?) ?

i believe this is correct. oos was behind, as usual.

> At least I haven't seen this happening for ca. a decade.

everyone catches up with time.

>> my partitioning was similar to what you show, with a swap for each distrib,
>> but only 1 master boot partition.
>
> This will only work if the distros sharing their boot partition are
> similar enough and if these distros do not change their bootloaders.

true, and i believe what grub2 is still in a development stage.

another reason i hope fedora will stay with early grub until grub2 devs
get it 'spit and polish' ready.

> History tells, you can get away with such a set up for some time, but in
> longer terms, one distro will trash the others' setup.

aka, 'pecking order'. 8-D

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 11-26-2011, 03:50 AM

On 11/26/2011 04:13 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
<>

> What part isn't true? Nowhere in what I've written did I compare SL
> with Fedora. Nowhere did I make any claims of stable v.s. unstable.
> So, I'm puzzled as to why you would do so.

whoa mule. 8-D

i made no such statement.

i wrote;

}> i presume that you have not installed and used Scientific Linux for
}> any length of time. tho i may be wrong.

have you install SL?

i have and there where no default *scientific* programs installed.

unless you consider "Dia", a graphics diagram editor as 'scientific'.

in kde's menu selection, there is a heading of 'Science & Math', which
is empty.

menu does have 'KCalc', scientific calculator, under 'Utilities/Desktop'.

granted, i may have moved them to where they are not, too long to recall
for sure, but is do not consider them "scientific".

i also have a menu headings of "Electronics/Analog/Mixed Signal Design"
with "XCircuit Schematic" which runs 'xcircuit', but iirc, i installed it.

i guess i could pull out my backed yum logs and check for sure, but that
is a little more trouble than worth.

> SL is RHEL recompiled from source with the RH copyrighted materials
> removed....

most all of them.

> just like CentOS. Right?

this i can only presume because centos site claims to do so.

i did install centos a few years ago and did not like it from start, so
i removed it.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:26 AM
Ed Greshko

On 11/26/2011 12:50 PM, g wrote:
> On 11/26/2011 04:13 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> <>
>
>> What part isn't true? Nowhere in what I've written did I compare SL
>> with Fedora. Nowhere did I make any claims of stable v.s. unstable.
>> So, I'm puzzled as to why you would do so.
> whoa mule. 8-D

I have no idea what you are getting at....

You did write in your previous email (and removed it from here)....

"SL is very stable...." So, you are bringing in the concept of
"stability" while saying what I've said is some how untrue. I don't get it.

> have you install SL?

Yes...

> i have and there where no default *scientific* programs installed.

I didn't say "scientific program". I said: applications for the
"scientific" community.

http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/features/added gives a
list of what is added.

The one "error" I made was thinking these were installed by "default"
when they are only included.

Somehow I think you have it in your mind that I am recommending staying
away from SL. I feel you are attempting to generate controversy or
something for some reason that I can't figure out.

IMO, many people see the words "Fermi Labs" and "CERN" and somehow
impart a mystical power to this spin/distro.

Even if you read the SL website they say.... (With * highlights)

--------
Its primary purpose is to reduce duplicated effort of the labs, and to
have a common install base for the various experimenters.

The base SL distribution is *basically* Enterprise Linux, recompiled
from source.

Our main goal for the base distribution is to have *everything
compatible with Enterprise*, with only a few *minor additions or
changes*. Examples of items that were added are Alpine, and OpenAFS.

Because the main goal of Scientific Linux is to have everything
compatible with Enterprise, we have kept our modifications to a minimum.
But we have made changes. *The majority of the changes are not seen, or
merely cosmetic.*
--------

SL is a fine distribution. I've never said otherwise.

I don't see any point in continuing. I feel you are being argumentative
for the sake of arguing.

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow