Old 11-25-2011, 02:41 PM
mike cloaked

Default Occasional panel freeze under Fedora-16

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

> I wonder if anyone else has suffered from this?
> I'm running Fedora-16/KDE on my laptop.
> Occasionally - two or three times a day -
> I cannot get any response from my panel,
> eg clicking on the f-icon has no effect.
>
> If I am currently on a desktop, this isn't affected;
> I can list directories, edit a file, etc.
> I've used "top" to see what is going on,
> but I didn't see anything unusual there.
>
> The situation rights itself after about 30 seconds.
>
> I'm not sure if the problem is related to firefox.

I have sometimes had the plasma-workspace freeze also - I am unsure
what it is related to - but possibly to chrome in my case - but if I
use the keyboard shortcuts to switch virtual desktops it sometimes
clears - and also if I use ctrl-F2 to get to a different console, and
then back to the graphical console it also sometimes clears but often
if I then logout I get a plasma-workspace crash reporter coming up
when I try to logout - occasionally I find that I have continued to
work but then if I go to the "Leave" icon it freezes and won't logout
or shutdown - tickling it with the keyboard shortcuts sometimes
unfreezes it but then usually the KDE crash reporter comes up during
the shutdown process.... so I don't know what the culprit is but I
have no indications in the logs that anything is unusual!
--
mike c

Old 11-25-2011, 02:45 PM
JB

Timothy Murphy <gayleard <at> eircom.net> writes:

> The situation rights itself after about 30 seconds.
>
> I'm not sure if the problem is related to firefox.

I have had lockups for the past week as well (they do not go away, have to
reboot).
I am on LXDE.
I suspected firefox as well as it was the only app active at the time, but with
average number of tabs (less than 10), one youtube, etc.
No proof of what's causing it as well - random occurrence, no dumps, no
error messages in a log.
JB

Old 11-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Ranjan Maitra

Hi all,

I have had this problem since Fedora 15. It is related to firefox so
I use midori other than for very secure matters because it does not have
256-bit encryption. I am using a Thinkpad T61.

The other option is to get rid of lxpanel (killall lxpanel), and use
something else. In F15, I used peksystray for the system tray and
docky for the panel (I compiled them myself.) Neither of these are RPMs
on Fedora: I have considered putting them together, but it seems
complicated.

Note that you do not have to reboot: killall lxpanel, plus lxpanel -p
LXDE should take care of it till the next freeze.

The LXDE project, disappointingly, seems too haphazard in development
and in fits and starts, so I am not convinced will last for much longer,
unless something radical happens.

Note that this is not just a lxpanel problem, but lxpanel does not
recover. My father-in-law on xubuntu has mentioned the exact problem
that Timothy is reporting. Apparently, this may be xulrunner taking
over. I wonder if we could just get rid of xulrunner.

I wonder if firefox jumping so many releases (with a target of a release
of 8.0 or whatever, regardless of what else happens) in one year affect
has an effect on quality.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 11-25-2011, 03:48 PM
David

On 11/25/2011 11:35 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have had this problem since Fedora 15. It is related to firefox so
> I use midori other than for very secure matters because it does not have
> 256-bit encryption. I am using a Thinkpad T61.
>
> The other option is to get rid of lxpanel (killall lxpanel), and use
> something else. In F15, I used peksystray for the system tray and
> docky for the panel (I compiled them myself.) Neither of these are RPMs
> on Fedora: I have considered putting them together, but it seems
> complicated.
>
> Note that you do not have to reboot: killall lxpanel, plus lxpanel -p
> LXDE should take care of it till the next freeze.
>
> The LXDE project, disappointingly, seems too haphazard in development
> and in fits and starts, so I am not convinced will last for much longer,
> unless something radical happens.
>
> Note that this is not just a lxpanel problem, but lxpanel does not
> recover. My father-in-law on xubuntu has mentioned the exact problem
> that Timothy is reporting. Apparently, this may be xulrunner taking
> over. I wonder if we could just get rid of xulrunner.
>
> I wonder if firefox jumping so many releases (with a target of a release
> of 8.0 or whatever, regardless of what else happens) in one year affect
> has an effect on quality.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ranjan

Slightly dated but FYI

"Mozilla Developer Center"
"New development channels and repositories for rapid releases"

<https://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2011/04/07/new-development-channels-and-repositories-for-rapid-releases/>

--

David

Old 11-25-2011, 03:57 PM
JB

Ranjan Maitra <maitra <at> iastate.edu> writes:

> The other option is to get rid of lxpanel (killall lxpanel), and use
> something else. In F15, I used peksystray for the system tray and
> docky for the panel (I compiled them myself.) Neither of these are RPMs
> on Fedora: I have considered putting them together, but it seems
> complicated.

With regard to LXDE and lxpanel we have improved quite few related things in
the past prior to F16.
The problem is that lxpanel does not have a maintainer.
So if you have proposals for substitutions please file a lxpanel bugzilla
report and let the LXDE maintainer know about it. He will check things out
and package them if approved.
He made one substitution that I know of in a recent release so he is open to
that provided all other things are OK.

JB