-   -   penta-booting hard-disk: who would administer the hard-disk office? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/602347-penta-booting-hard-disk-who-would-administer-hard-disk-office.html)

Joe Zeff 11-24-2011 04:57 PM

On 11/24/2011 09:07 AM, Chris Tyler wrote:
> Another option would be to have /boot partitions for each OS (small --
> 500 MB max) and do everything else in LVM. This gives you the
> flexibility to increase or decrease the size of the various filesystems
> easily without repartitioning.

Do all of the distros understand/use LVM? Best to make sure first,
because you're going to run into big problems if one or more of them
doesn't.

g 11-25-2011 03:04 PM

penta-booting hard-disk: who would administer the hard-disk office?

> On 11/25/2011 07:04 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
<>

> I.e. I have a "master grub" /boot partition, which chainloads indivdual
> "boot" partitions of other OSes.
>
> I.e. my partitioning basically looks like this:
> /dev/sda1 boot (master grub partition, contains only grub).
>
> /dev/sda<N> OS<N>'s /boot
> /dev/sda<N+1> OS<N>'s swap
> /dev/sda<N+2> OS<N>'s /
>
> /dev/sda<M> OS<M>'s /boot
> /dev/sda<M+1> OS<M>'s swap
> /dev/sda<M+2> OS<M>'s /

years back when i started playing with slackware linux, i still had oos
installed and used an oos master boot loader.

it lasted for a while, but it did not have some of the features of lilo.
so, when i added red hat, i changed to lilo. after fedora came out, i
changed to grub, when fedora changed. problem was that i had problems
getting chain loading to work. being that i had all partitions mounted
under each distrib, when i had a kernel upgrade, i pulled the new kernel
lines and pasted them into the master grub.conf file. i booted oos from
a floppy. ;)

my partitioning was similar to what you show, with a swap for each distrib,
but only 1 master boot partition.

on this system, i have my 'internet' system on primary master with it's
own swap and /home partition.

primary slave is partitioned for other distribs with master boot as sda1.
sda5 is main 'home' partition.

see my reply to Tim.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

g 11-25-2011 03:04 PM

penta-booting hard-disk: who would administer the hard-disk office?

On 11/25/2011 07:18 AM, Tim wrote:
<>

> The username is usually used to set the filepath, so each home would be
> a different directory. So there shouldn't be a conflict of
> configuration files, each OS would use its own homespace and own
> configuration files.

this is true.

please see my reply to Ralf.

> If they get the same userid, he'll be able to easily read files he's
> saved in the other directories.

also true.

> To share a homespace between different releases can be a problem, and he
> easiest solution can be to make sure that they each have different
> homespaces, but have link to a (different) common space for the user to
> store their own files in. That keeps configuration files separate, and
> simple access to your files.

very true.

in all distribs, i log in as user 'geo', but i am assigned a unique
/home/geo-?? path.

in "/home", i have 1 user '~/geo', with the different distribs having a
user 'home' for user 'geo' in '~/geo-sl', '~/geo-fx', '~/geo-??'. each
'~/geo-*' have soft links to '~/geo' for common programs, like mozilla
firefox and thunderbird.

works great without any problems.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Ralf Corsepius 11-25-2011 03:38 PM

On 11/25/2011 05:04 PM, g wrote:
>> On 11/25/2011 07:04 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> <>
>
>> I.e. I have a "master grub" /boot partition, which chainloads indivdual
>> "boot" partitions of other OSes.
>>
>> I.e. my partitioning basically looks like this:
>> /dev/sda1 boot (master grub partition, contains only grub).
>>
>> /dev/sda<N> OS<N>'s /boot
>> /dev/sda<N+1> OS<N>'s swap
>> /dev/sda<N+2> OS<N>'s /
>>
>> /dev/sda<M> OS<M>'s /boot
>> /dev/sda<M+1> OS<M>'s swap
>> /dev/sda<M+2> OS<M>'s /
>
> years back when i started playing with slackware linux, i still had oos
> installed and used an oos master boot loader.
Yeah, I recall similar incidents many years ago. I don't recall the
details, but wasn't there some HW/BIOS limitation (LBA?) ?

At least I haven't seen this happening for ca. a decade.

> my partitioning was similar to what you show, with a swap for each distrib,
> but only 1 master boot partition.
This will only work if the distros sharing their boot partition are
similar enough and if these distros do not change their bootloaders.

History tells, you can get away with such a set up for some time, but in
longer terms, one distro will trash the others' setup.

Ralf

g 11-26-2011 02:43 AM

penta-booting hard-disk: who would administer the hard-disk office?

On 11/26/2011 12:32 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
<>

> Scientific Linux is simply a variant Red Hat Enterprise Linux just as
> CentOS is. It just packages, and installs by default, applications for
> the "scientific" community.

from this statement, i presume that you have not installed and used
Scientific Linux for any length of time. tho i may be wrong.

i can say from my own experience of installing and using "SL", your
statement is not entirely true.

on this system/box, i have SL and Fedora installed because i want a
stable 'long life' os and a 'play with' os.

SL is very stable and is maintained by a group of 'tech heads' that
know what they are doing. if they did not, they would not be working
in the environment of Fermilab Accelerator Research Center, aka,
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory.

if it is safe for such an environment, it is safe for my use.

besides, it is RHEL. "if it's Red Hat, it has to be good". 8-D

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Ed Greshko 11-26-2011 03:13 AM

On 11/26/2011 11:43 AM, g wrote:
> On 11/26/2011 12:32 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> <>
>
>> Scientific Linux is simply a variant Red Hat Enterprise Linux just as
>> CentOS is. It just packages, and installs by default, applications for
>> the "scientific" community.
> from this statement, i presume that you have not installed and used
> Scientific Linux for any length of time. tho i may be wrong.
>
> i can say from my own experience of installing and using "SL", your
> statement is not entirely true.
>
> on this system/box, i have SL and Fedora installed because i want a
> stable 'long life' os and a 'play with' os.
>
> SL is very stable and is maintained by a group of 'tech heads' that
> know what they are doing. if they did not, they would not be working
> in the environment of Fermilab Accelerator Research Center, aka,
> Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory.
>
> if it is safe for such an environment, it is safe for my use.
>
> besides, it is RHEL. "if it's Red Hat, it has to be good". 8-D

What part isn't true? Nowhere in what I've written did I compare SL
with Fedora. Nowhere did I make any claims of stable v.s. unstable.
So, I'm puzzled as to why you would do so.

SL is RHEL recompiled from source with the RH copyrighted materials
removed....just like CentOS. Right?

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow