Old 11-24-2011, 02:10 PM
John Aldrich

Default Can't increase screen resolution (F16, KDE)

I have Fedora 16 with a 19" flat-panel screen capable of 1280x1024,
however, Fedora / KDE seems to not realize my monitor is capable of this
resolution, and only offers a max resolution of 1024x768, which is
freaking HUGE on my monitor! How do I fix this??? I *know* my monitor is
capable of 1280x1024 because that's the resolution I had when I was
running Fedora 15.
I have an on-board Geforce video card and have already upgraded to the
nVidia drivers and disabled Noveau, hoping that would fix it, but it has
not.
I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with Fedora/KDE and am seriously
thinking of wiping the whole freakin' thing and going to XUbuntu or
something a bit more user-friendly! Sheesh! I've been using Fedora since
before there WAS a Fedora and maybe it's just KDE, but this has to be
the toughest upgrade I've done in a LOOOONG time!
C'mon, folks... help a guy out here, please!

Old 11-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Thursday 24 November 2011 10:10:43 John Aldrich wrote:
> I have Fedora 16 with a 19" flat-panel screen capable of 1280x1024,
> however, Fedora / KDE seems to not realize my monitor is capable of this
> resolution, and only offers a max resolution of 1024x768, which is
> freaking HUGE on my monitor! How do I fix this??? I *know* my monitor is
> capable of 1280x1024 because that's the resolution I had when I was
> running Fedora 15.
> I have an on-board Geforce video card and have already upgraded to the
> nVidia drivers and disabled Noveau, hoping that would fix it, but it has
> not.
> I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with Fedora/KDE and am seriously
> thinking of wiping the whole freakin' thing and going to XUbuntu or
> something a bit more user-friendly! Sheesh! I've been using Fedora since
> before there WAS a Fedora and maybe it's just KDE, but this has to be
> the toughest upgrade I've done in a LOOOONG time!
> C'mon, folks... help a guy out here, please!

Output of xrandr, please? A link to a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (if it exists in your setup), please?

That should give everyone an idea what is going on.

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 11-25-2011, 03:15 AM
Burkhard Plache

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 11:27, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 24 November 2011 10:10:43 John Aldrich wrote:
>> I have Fedora 16 with a 19" flat-panel screen capable of 1280x1024,
>> however, Fedora / KDE seems to not realize my monitor is capable of this
>> resolution, and only offers a max resolution of 1024x768, which is
>> freaking HUGE on my monitor! How do I fix this??? I *know* my monitor is
>> capable of 1280x1024 because that's the resolution I had when I was
>> running Fedora 15.
>> I have an on-board Geforce video card and have already upgraded to the
>> nVidia drivers and disabled Noveau, hoping that would fix it, but it has
>> not.
>> I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with Fedora/KDE and am seriously
>> thinking of wiping the whole freakin' thing and going to XUbuntu or
>> something a bit more user-friendly! Sheesh! I've been using Fedora since
>> before there WAS a Fedora and maybe it's just KDE, but this has to be
>> the toughest upgrade I've done in a LOOOONG time!
>> C'mon, folks... help a guy out here, please!
>
> Output of xrandr, please? A link to a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if it exists in your setup), please?
>
> That should give everyone an idea what is going on.
>
> Best, :-)
> Marko

I had a similar problem a while ago.
The monitor was not recognized, and I had to make a xorg.conf file by hand,
which worked like a charm. You may want to follow the help and hints I received:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-February/391785.html

- Burkhard