Old 11-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Tom Horsley

Default systemd-analyze blame and missing swap?

I just had a disk go bad on me, and after unplugging it
and restoring the backup to another mostly empty disk,
boots were taking forever.

So, since systemd-analyze blame had just showed up
in another thread, I thought I would try it and see
what it showed, but the longest time it has is
2294ms for network.service, and the pause I was
seeing was more like 40 seconds than 3 seconds.

I finally looked at boot.log and saw the error message
that scrolled past too fast about the swap partition
which I had forgotten was on that dead disk.

So why doesn't systemd-analyze blame show the
giant timeout for attempting to start swap?

Is there some other analyze parameter that does that?

Old 11-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Richard Shaw

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just had a disk go bad on me, and after unplugging it
> and restoring the backup to another mostly empty disk,
> boots were taking forever.
>
> So, since systemd-analyze blame had just showed up
> in another thread, I thought I would try it and see
> what it showed, but the longest time it has is
> 2294ms for network.service, and the pause I was
> seeing was more like 40 seconds than 3 seconds.
>
> I finally looked at boot.log and saw the error message
> that scrolled past too fast about the swap partition
> which I had forgotten was on that dead disk.
>
> So why doesn't systemd-analyze blame show the
> giant timeout for attempting to start swap?

The only thing I can tell you is that "blame" only shows wall time, so
if something else is causing network.service to stall then it get's
the blame instead of the real cause.

Have you tried "systemd-analyze plot > boot.svg" You may be able to
glean additional info that way, or if all else fails, bootchart. It
gives much more detailed output.

Richard