Old 03-25-2008, 04:10 AM
Dave Roberts

Default Problem trying to setup Drupal on Fedora 8

Okay, so I'm trying to setup Drupal on Fedora 8, using the standard RPMs
for everything, all installed using Yum.

I think I have all the RPMs installed fine. I'm following
the /usr/share/doc/drupal5.7/drupal-README.fedora file
and /usr/share/doc/drupal-5.7/INSTALL.txt file. I'm at Step 3 in
INSTALL.txt, where it says to run the install script. I have gotten
Apache setup correctly, and when I access the http://localhost/drupal/
URL, I get a page that contains the Drupal icon and artwork with the
following Drupal error message:
"The Drupal installer requires write permissions
to ./sites/default/settings.php during the installation process."

Per step 1 in drupal-README.fedora, I already executed a
sudo chmod 666 /etc/drupal/default/settings.php and the file has 666
permissions:
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 5976 2007-07-08 21:28 settings.php

I verified that it's writable with a simple touch:

[dave@linux default]$ touch settings.php
[dave@linux default]$ ll
total 12
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 5976 2008-03-24 22:01 settings.php

When I look in /usr/share/drupal, I can see that it's symlinked
to /etc/drupal/ :

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2008-03-24 20:47 sites
-> ../../../etc/drupal

Any ideas what's happening here? I have restarted Apache a couple of
times, without success. Not sure if there is some weird SELinux thing
going on here. I don't see any SELinux warnings pop up, but maybe there
is a log file I should be looking in??

Thanks,

-- Dave

Old 03-26-2008, 06:16 AM
Dave Roberts

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 22:10 -0700, Dave Roberts wrote:
> Okay, so I'm trying to setup Drupal on Fedora 8, using the standard RPMs
> for everything, all installed using Yum.
>
> I think I have all the RPMs installed fine. I'm following
> the /usr/share/doc/drupal5.7/drupal-README.fedora file
> and /usr/share/doc/drupal-5.7/INSTALL.txt file. I'm at Step 3 in
> INSTALL.txt, where it says to run the install script. I have gotten
> Apache setup correctly, and when I access the http://localhost/drupal/
> URL, I get a page that contains the Drupal icon and artwork with the
> following Drupal error message:
> "The Drupal installer requires write permissions
> to ./sites/default/settings.php during the installation process."

Looks like SELinux was hosing me. If anybody else runs into this error
down the road, go to the SELinux Administration applet (Applications ->
System Tools -> SELinux Management) and set the enforcing mode
appropriately. Looks like Drupal only needs this file to be writable for
a short time anyway, so I think you can return enforcing mode to
Enforcing as soon as you're done with your Drupal configuration.

-- Dave