Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default Adventures with Gnome 3.2 fallback

My luck was that Gnome3.2 could not fully work on my system so I was
going to be put in fallback mode (I think that is what it is called) By
the way can anyone point me to what lack of resources causes that to
happen?

At first I was discouraged until I realized what I had was what many
people asked for, a Gnome3 with the familiar features of Gnome2. I have
only an Applications menu and a Places menu at the top. Clicking on
Applications gives you the familiar hierarchical list of applications.

"Magic Workspaces" are not present. The Workspaces sit where they used
to be in right corner of the bottom panel. I can fill the upper panel
with my favorite application icons that will cause them to run (like
Firefox, evolution, etc).

gnome-tweak and fedorautils can allow me to configure the Gnome destom
in various ways. fedorautils has an option to speed up boot but you are
warned services you want may disappear.

I find the whole thing familiar and friendly and it answers the wishes
of those who miss the Gnome2 feel.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/23/2011 02:07 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> My luck was that Gnome3.2 could not fully work on my system so I was
> going to be put in fallback mode (I think that is what it is called) By
> the way can anyone point me to what lack of resources causes that to
> happen?

Check to see if Compiz is running; the program you need to look for is
fusion-icon. If not, and if it fails to start, you may have been bit by
the same bug that I reported earlier today.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:35 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

On 11/23/2011 05:07 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> My luck was that Gnome3.2 could not fully work on my system so I was
> going to be put in fallback mode (I think that is what it is called) By
> the way can anyone point me to what lack of resources causes that to
> happen?

Check your /etc/default/grub file, and make sure that "nomodeset" is not
in it. I found this was in some of my /etc/default/grub files, because I
had selected a basic text upgrade mode when running anaconda. This made
the upgrades run faster, but it disabled the fancy graphics modes than
gnome-shell needs.

If it is there, try removing the "nomodeset" clause and regenerate your
grub files by running:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

- Mike

Old 11-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2011-11-24 at 08:35 -0500, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 05:07 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > My luck was that Gnome3.2 could not fully work on my system so I was
> > going to be put in fallback mode (I think that is what it is called) By
> > the way can anyone point me to what lack of resources causes that to
> > happen?
>
> Check your /etc/default/grub file, and make sure that "nomodeset" is not
> in it. I found this was in some of my /etc/default/grub files, because I
> had selected a basic text upgrade mode when running anaconda. This made
> the upgrades run faster, but it disabled the fancy graphics modes than
> gnome-shell needs.
>
> If it is there, try removing the "nomodeset" clause and regenerate your
> grub files by running:
>
> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>
> - Mike

I assume you mean changing the line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 KEYTABLE=us
quiet SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8"

to:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 KEYTABLE=us quiet
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8"

When I do that the system will not boot. If I am wrong about the change
let me know.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:25 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

On 11/24/2011 09:59 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I assume you mean changing the line:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 KEYTABLE=us
> quiet SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8"
>
> to:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 KEYTABLE=us quiet
> SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8"
>
> When I do that the system will not boot. If I am wrong about the change
> let me know.

Yes, that's what I meant. Unfortunately, it seems your system needs
"nomodeset" to boot - I guess the installer detected that and put it
there on purpose. (On my systems, it was put there, but it wasn't
actually needed.)

If you want the main gnome-shell mode, you need:

1) A better video driver.
or
2) A different video card.
or
3) Wait for F17, which is supposed to run gnome-shell on a wider range
of video cards - but the performance might be poor.

- Mike

Old 11-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 14:20 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 02:07 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > My luck was that Gnome3.2 could not fully work on my system so I was
> > going to be put in fallback mode (I think that is what it is called) By
> > the way can anyone point me to what lack of resources causes that to
> > happen?
>
> Check to see if Compiz is running; the program you need to look for is
> fusion-icon. If not, and if it fails to start, you may have been bit by
> the same bug that I reported earlier today.

OK, my memory is going. Neither compiz nor fusion-icon were installed on
the machine, so I installed them. I know I got compiz to run before but
I can't figure out how I did it. Can anyone help?

Old 11-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Ian Chapman

On 11/24/2011 06:07 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> I find the whole thing familiar and friendly and it answers the wishes
> of those who miss the Gnome2 feel.

It does and I currently use it now, although fallback mode doesn't offer
the full Gnome 2 experience. Unfortunately I believe it's deprecated so
may disappear in a future version as will my use of Gnome.

--
Ian Chapman.