Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Leonardo Silveira

Default fedora 16 64 bits gnome shutdown button

hello,

how do i add the shutdown button on gnome menu?

T.I.A.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Nicolae Ghimbovschi

Hi,

Open the menu and press the Alt key. The power off should appear.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Bryce Hardy

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Leonardo Silveira <sombriks@gmail.com> wrote:

> how do i add the shutdown button on gnome menu?

In addition to holding down the ALT key, you can install the extension
that provides the Shutdown option:

yum install gnome-shell-extension-alternative-status-menu

--
Bryce Hardy

Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Andre Robatino

Bryce Hardy <brycehardy <at> gmail.com> writes:

> In addition to holding down the ALT key, you can install the extension
> that provides the Shutdown option:
>
> yum install gnome-shell-extension-alternative-status-menu

Unfortunately, that extension is not currently working in F16 (at least for
me), even though it was recently updated. When enabled, I get "Oh no" on login
and am forced to disable it.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Bryce Hardy

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Andre Robatino
<robatino@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Unfortunately, that extension is not currently working in F16 (at least for
> me), even though it was recently updated. When enabled, I get "Oh no" on login
> and am forced to disable it.

I stand corrected. I used the extension briefly on F15 and just
assumed that it would work now. I haven't tried using it since because
I don't like extensions generally and pressing ALT is easy enough.
Hopefuly someone will fix the bug soon though.

--
Bryce Hardy

Old 11-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Greg Woods

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 22:14 +0000, Andre Robatino wrote:
> Bryce Hardy <brycehardy <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > In addition to holding down the ALT key, you can install the extension
> > that provides the Shutdown option:
> >
> > yum install gnome-shell-extension-alternative-status-menu
>
> Unfortunately, that extension is not currently working in F16 (at least for
> me), even though it was recently updated. When enabled, I get "Oh no" on login
> and am forced to disable it.

I haven't had it abort login, but the extension did stop working when I
upgraded from F15 to F16. I only get the "Suspend" or "Log off" options.
I tried the ALT key, which does allow shutdown or restart (thanks for
the tip on that). But the extension under F15 also had Hibernate, an
option I often use, and the ALT key doesn't give me that option (athough
pm-hibernate from the command line does still work).

--Greg

Old 11-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Andre Robatino

Greg Woods <woods <at> ucar.edu> writes:

> I haven't had it abort login, but the extension did stop working when I
> upgraded from F15 to F16. I only get the "Suspend" or "Log off" options.
> I tried the ALT key, which does allow shutdown or restart (thanks for
> the tip on that). But the extension under F15 also had Hibernate, an
> option I often use, and the ALT key doesn't give me that option (athough
> pm-hibernate from the command line does still work).

I think that in Gnome 3.2 all extensions are disabled by default. You can enable
them using gnome-tweak-tool. If you get the "Oh no" on login, at least there's a
convenient GUI on the same screen to disable them immediately.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Elliott Chapin

On 11/23/2011 05:56 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:
> Greg Woods <woods <at> ucar.edu> writes:
>
>> I haven't had it abort login, but the extension did stop working when I
>> upgraded from F15 to F16. I only get the "Suspend" or "Log off" options.
>> I tried the ALT key, which does allow shutdown or restart (thanks for
>> the tip on that). But the extension under F15 also had Hibernate, an
>> option I often use, and the ALT key doesn't give me that option (athough
>> pm-hibernate from the command line does still work).
>
> I think that in Gnome 3.2 all extensions are disabled by default. You can enable
> them using gnome-tweak-tool. If you get the "Oh no" on login, at least there's a
> convenient GUI on the same screen to disable them immediately.

yum install gnome-tweak-tool

--
clients.teksavvy.com/~echapin

Old 11-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Roger

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 22:56 +0000, Andre Robatino wrote:
> Greg Woods <woods <at> ucar.edu> writes:
>
> > I haven't had it abort login, but the extension did stop working when I
> > upgraded from F15 to F16. I only get the "Suspend" or "Log off" options.
> > I tried the ALT key, which does allow shutdown or restart (thanks for
> > the tip on that). But the extension under F15 also had Hibernate, an
> > option I often use, and the ALT key doesn't give me that option (athough
> > pm-hibernate from the command line does still work).
>
> I think that in Gnome 3.2 all extensions are disabled by default. You can enable
> them using gnome-tweak-tool. If you get the "Oh no" on login, at least there's a
> convenient GUI on the same screen to disable them immediately.

The only way I found was to open a terminal and type 'shutdown now' or
halt
Bit stupid to not have an option to switch off
Roger

Old 11-24-2011, 01:42 AM
Greg Woods

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 18:16 -0500, Elliott Chapin wrote:
> > Greg Woods <woods <at> ucar.edu> writes:
> >
> >> I haven't had it abort login, but the extension did stop working when I
> >> upgraded from F15 to F16.
>
> yum install gnome-tweak-tool

Yep. Sure enough, if I activate the alternate-status-menu extension, it
works, but as soon as I log out, I can't log back in again without the
"Oh no" screen until I disable the extension.

I can't find any way to get to the gnome-tweak-tool either other than
from the command line, is that the way it's supposed to be or am I just
missing finding it among the Applications?

--Greg