Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Joe Zeff

Default Speeding up boot (was: Fedora - time to blink)

On 11/23/2011 01:13 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> The author of systemd explained a lot of this in detail here:
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/blame-game.html

Yes, but he still assumes a fair amount of knowledge from the reader.
As an example, he shows how to mask a service in /etc/systemd/system,
but leaves out an explanation of how this works. As an example, on my
laptop I found that nfs-secure.service took between five and six seconds
to load, although I never use it. Checking, there's no reference to
that file in /etc/systemd/system, leaving me to wonder just how this
masking works. Does anybody here know?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:18 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 01:13 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>> The author of systemd explained a lot of this in detail here:
>> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/blame-game.html
>
> Yes, but he still assumes a fair amount of knowledge from the reader.
> As an example, he shows how to mask a service in /etc/systemd/system,
> but leaves out an explanation of how this works. *As an example, on my
> laptop I found that nfs-secure.service took between five and six seconds
> to load, although I never use it. *Checking, there's no reference to
> that file in /etc/systemd/system, leaving me to wonder just how this
> masking works. *Does anybody here know?

He probably didn't delve into detail about masking because he already
talked about it in an earlier blog post in the "systemd for
Administrators" series, which that post was a part of:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/three-levels-of-off.html

The entire "systemd for Administrators" series is linked along with
the rest of systemd's documentation on its home page:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd

-T.C.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Ian Malone

On 23 November 2011 21:13, T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Lars E. Pettersson <lars@homer.se> wrote:
>> My gut-feeling after these install has been no improvement of start-up
>> speed. I.e. I have not said to myself "wow, how fast it started". So the
>> next question will obviously be, how can I use the data gathered with
>> "systemd-analyze blame" to improve start-up speed? Besides finding
>> started daemons that I have no need for, like removing ntpdate, that I
>> just realized was enabled on my systems, even when using NTP?
>
> There's probably more that can be removed. *Many of the
> fedora-*.services can be removed depending on your system
> configuration. *For instance, I removed the fedora-readonly.service
> since I don't use read-only /. *If you don't use LVM, RAID, or
> Multipath, you can speed up your boot significantly.
>
> The author of systemd explained a lot of this in detail here:
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/blame-game.html

I did notice this in Lars post:
Desktop:
Startup finished in 2016ms (kernel) + 3615ms (initramfs) + 31713ms
(userspace) = 37344ms
Worst offender: 9455ms NetworkManager.service

I had issues with NM when I first installed F15, it was trying every
automatically created wireless connection (i.e. all those
auto-ifcfg_APNAME entries) on startup and boot progressed when systemd
eventually gave up waiting on NM to finish. Might be worth Lars
checking what connections he has configured.

This trick from Lennart's article might be useful:
$ systemd-analyze plot > plot.svg
$ eog plot.svg

(For instance I have to figure out why netfs and iscsi are being
started on my machine.)

Overall speed, I did a RAM upgrade to my machine yesterday and noticed
I didn't have RAM running dual channel, turning that on seemed to make
a big improvement to startup speed, will have to time it when I get a
chance and see if it's real.

--
imalone

Old 11-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Ian Malone

On 23 November 2011 22:20, Ian Malone <ibmalone@gmail.com> wrote:

> This trick from Lennart's article might be useful:
> $ systemd-analyze plot > plot.svg
> $ eog plot.svg
>
> (For instance I have to figure out why netfs and iscsi are being
> started on my machine.)
>
> Overall speed, I did a RAM upgrade to my machine yesterday and noticed
> I didn't have RAM running dual channel, turning that on seemed to make
> a big improvement to startup speed, will have to time it when I get a
> chance and see if it's real.

Just following this up: boot time (according to systemd analyze,
getting to gdm takes a few seconds longer), was 88s and 91s without
and with dual-channel respectively, so no real difference (the
discrepancy was due to different mount times, which I guess will
actually be slightly different HD settle times). On the other hand,
disabling iscsi and netfs, and adding the fstab option
comment=systemd.automount for my ntfs volume cut boot time to 47s.
Udev-settle remains the biggest offender and after that akmod.service,
but I don't feel the need to disable that for a few seconds gain when
starting a desktop machine.

--
imalone