Old 11-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default Suddenly shutdown delayed -

For the last several days shutdown of this F-15 computer has
developed a delay.

When I click on shutdown it immediately switches to a black
screen with one line at the top:

sendmail " some numbers I couldn't copy" unqualified host
name [box9] unknown sleeping for retry

There were some punctuation marks I left out too.

I don't know what I might have done to trigger this but it is
annoying since shutdown stops for what seems like a minute
before going through the normal process that I am accustomed to
seeing.

Where does it get this qualified host name from? What do I need
to fix or am I stuck until I install F-16 which I have been
putting off?

Bob

Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 23/11/11 15:59, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> For the last several days shutdown of this F-15 computer has
> developed a delay.
>
> When I click on shutdown it immediately switches to a black
> screen with one line at the top:
>
> sendmail " some numbers I couldn't copy" unqualified host
> name [box9] unknown sleeping for retry
>
> There were some punctuation marks I left out too.
>
> I don't know what I might have done to trigger this but it is
> annoying since shutdown stops for what seems like a minute
> before going through the normal process that I am accustomed to
> seeing.
>
> Where does it get this qualified host name from? What do I need
> to fix or am I stuck until I install F-16 which I have been
> putting off?
>
> Bob

I determined that fail2ban triggers the retry.

Stopping fail2ban restores a normal shutdown.

I guess further investigation of fail2ban configuration is in
order? Any suggestions welcome.

Bob

.