Old 11-23-2011, 07:36 PM
JB

Default Fedora - time to blink

Tom Horsley <horsley1953 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Windows 8, Ubuntu Unity, Gnome 3, they are all
> going down the same path (though for my money
> ubuntu unity is the most dreadful of them).

Unfortunately many of the industry "prophets" follow the same path, as if they
lacked critical thinking.
All of us are aware of many mishaps that happened in the IT, some of them
crashed companies, their senior execs, and so called personalities.
They wanted to introduce something almost by force, as if they wanted to create
different species from their customers/users. And they failed miserably.

There is an opinion piece on Ubuntu and Unity, but could be on GNOME as well.
http://www.h-online.com/open/features/HealthCheck-Ubuntu-The-search-for-unity-1377292.html

JB

Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 15:50 +0000, JB wrote:

> Are M$ Windows or Mac OS X test beds too ?
----
sure - they ship with thousands of known bugs

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Ed Greshko

On 11/24/2011 07:34 AM, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 15:50 +0000, JB wrote:
>
>> Are M$ Windows or Mac OS X test beds too ?
> ----
> sure - they ship with thousands of known bugs

Too easy... :-)

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 11-24-2011, 12:55 AM
David

On 11/23/2011 2:44 PM, JB wrote:
> David <dgboles <at> gmail.com> writes:

>> For the moment... peace? I am sorry if I took you for someone else.
>
> Please forward my impersonator's email then.
> Peace as well :-)
> JB

Will be done.

once again. My sincere apologizes if I took you for someone else. There
is an Internet meme for that but I don;t currently have time to look.

Else ? Sorry once agian.
--

David

Old 11-24-2011, 06:13 AM
NOSpaze

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 18:44 +0000, JB wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > On Wednesday 23 November 2011 09:57:35 JB wrote:
> > > http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-16.html
> > Oh, come on JB, do you really think quoting that guy makes any sense?
> That's not fair to him.
> He has a pretty neat site, and a long history of Linux distros reviews, which
> are very standard (from a user point of view),

a) All the reviews are loaded with tons of emotional influence: "trying
to use Fedora 16 verne".
b) the review is a witch hunting of bugs: "the bad integration continues
here. Notice the icon background is a different shade of gray than the
window".
c) Is not objective: "I touched the subject of politics in my latest
Mandriva review".
d) Is not concrete. That's not a review of a distro features.

A very emotional and subjective opinion of some applications within a
narrow point of view of the linux capabilities.

Empty glasses are louder

Cheers.
--
NOSpaze <nospaze@gmail.com>

Old 11-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Alexander Volovics

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:01:44PM -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:

> Descriptions by people like him of what Gnome 3 was going to be are why
> I don't use Gnome any more. It's clearly gone down a path I don't want

Joe

With a little work Gnome 3.2 can be adapted to a desktop that
you should have no trouble working with (and liking (maybe)).

Stop with the criticism and take a look at Linux Mint 12 RC.
This clearly is Gnome 3.2 but with all the 'missing features'
of Gnome 2 you and others are complaining about.

The Mint people clearly took the trouble to make Gnome 3 more
Gnome 2 like to 'ease the transition'.

Fedora didn't but it can still come and I suspect you could
even do it yourself if you really cared.

Alexander

Old 11-24-2011, 09:04 AM
"Lars E. Pettersson"

On 11/24/2011 10:28 AM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> Stop with the criticism and take a look at Linux Mint 12 RC.
> This clearly is Gnome 3.2 but with all the 'missing features'
> of Gnome 2 you and others are complaining about.

Gnome 3:s shell *should* be criticized, as it severely affects many
users work flow. There is one good thing with Gnome 3 though, the
fall-back mode.

I am using Gnome 3 in fallback mode, without compiz but with metacity,
and it can be tweaked to work more or less as Gnome 2.

Log in to Gnome 3:s shell, left-click on your name in the upper right
corner, chose "System Settings", then "System Info", and last
"Graphics", turn "Forced Fallback Mode" to on, log out and log in again.
This will give you Gnome 3 fall-back mode with metacity, and a Gnome 2
feel (just remember to press alt when trying to add things to the panels
with right-click).

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars@homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/

Old 11-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Maciek Borzecki

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:08 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/2011 07:34 AM, Craig White wrote:
>> On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 15:50 +0000, JB wrote:
>>
>>> Are M$ Windows or Mac OS X test beds too ?
>> ----
>> sure - they ship with thousands of known bugs
>>

> Too easy... *:-)

that deserves a place on bash.org

maciek

Old 11-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/24/2011 01:28 AM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> With a little work Gnome 3.2 can be adapted to a desktop that
> you should have no trouble working with (and liking (maybe)).

So? XFCE does exactly what I want, right out of the box. When it comes
to forcing Gnome 3.x to do what I want, you clearly have me confused
with somebody who gives a shit.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/24/2011 01:28 AM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> Stop with the criticism and take a look at Linux Mint 12 RC.
> This clearly is Gnome 3.2 but with all the 'missing features'
> of Gnome 2 you and others are complaining about.

So what you're saying is, don't tell people what you don't like about
Gnome 3, just hunt around for a distro that tweaks it for you. No,
thank you, given a choice between sticking with Gnome or Fedora, I'll
take Fedora and change my DE. For that matter, if there's so much you
need to tweak to get Gnome working the way you want again, why not look
at a different DE? Gnome isn't the be-all and end-all of Linux, you know.