Old 11-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Hiisi

Default OT: gather hardware information over network

Hi list!
This maybe is a little off-topic on this list hence the 'OT' in the
subject line. Sorry for that.
I need to gather hardware information from computers on a local
network and store it on a server. The server runs F16, clients run
different ubuntu versions (11.04 mostly). The information should
include such things as monitor serial numbers and other details for
definite identification. The main purpose is inventarisation of all
the hardware we have in the office. There's about 40 workstations.
Google suggests use combination of OCS Inventory NG with GLPI [1]. The
other idea is to write a set of bash scripts and put them on cron on
workstations (the information should be updated weekly) and main
script on the server would store information in the database. However
if there's ready solution I would be happy to use it.
Any tips?
REFERENCES
1. http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/en/about/features/ocsng-glpi.html
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Frank Pikelner

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Hiisi <hiisi@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi list!
> This maybe is a little off-topic on this list hence the 'OT' in the
> subject line. Sorry for that.
> I need to gather hardware information from computers on a local
> network and store it on a server. The server runs F16, clients run
> different ubuntu versions (11.04 mostly). The information should
> include such things as monitor serial numbers and other details for
> definite identification. The main purpose is inventarisation of all
> the hardware we have in the office. There's about 40 workstations.
> Google suggests use combination of OCS Inventory NG with GLPI [1]. The
> other idea is to write a set of bash scripts and put them on cron on
> workstations (the information should be updated weekly) and main
> script on the server would store information in the database. However
> if there's ready solution I would be happy to use it.
> Any tips?
> REFERENCES
> 1. http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/en/about/features/ocsng-glpi.html
> --
> Hiisi.

You may want to try Versiera as setup would only be a few minutes.
Create an account, download and install the agents. It is simple and
would collect all the info you require, though may be overkill as a
lot of info is collected. If you're concerned about security, remove
the agents after you gather all the info you need. You can then export
the data to a spreadsheet. I should also disclose that we develop
Versiera and it is not open source, though free to use.

Best,

Frank

Old 11-24-2011, 05:37 AM
Hiisi

On 24 November 2011 01:15, Frank Pikelner <frank.pikelner@gmail.com> wrote:
<--SNIP-->

> You may want to try Versiera as setup would only be a few minutes.
> Create an account, download and install the agents. It is simple and
> would collect all the info you require, though may be overkill as a
> lot of info is collected. If you're concerned about security, remove
> the agents after you gather all the info you need. You can then export
> the data to a spreadsheet. I should also disclose that we develop
> Versiera and it is not open source, though free to use.
>
> Best,
>
> Frank

Hi, Frank!
Could you please provide a link as http://www.versiera.com/ is not
available a the moment.
TIA

Old 11-24-2011, 01:43 PM
suvayu ali

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 16:19, Hiisi <hiisi@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> This maybe is a little off-topic on this list hence the 'OT' in the
> subject line. Sorry for that.
> I need to gather hardware information from computers on a local
> network and store it on a server. The server runs F16, clients run
> different ubuntu versions (11.04 mostly). The information should
> include such things as monitor serial numbers and other details for
> definite identification. The main purpose is inventarisation of all
> the hardware we have in the office. There's about 40 workstations.
> Google suggests use combination of OCS Inventory NG with GLPI [1]. The
> other idea is to write a set of bash scripts and put them on cron on
> workstations (the information should be updated weekly) and main
> script on the server would store information in the database. However
> if there's ready solution I would be happy to use it.

Smolt is made for exactly this purpose. Maybe you can see if its
possible to have a smolt setup local to your LAN?

--
Suvayu

Old 11-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Hiisi

On 24 November 2011 18:43, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Smolt is made for exactly this purpose. Maybe you can see if its
> possible to have a smolt setup local to your LAN?

Thank you, Suvayu! That was my first thought. However I couldn't find
any information on the net. Now I'm working on configuration of
ocsinventory and I have to say that I like it and highly recommend it
to everyone interested in the topic.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:14 PM
suvayu ali

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 15:49, Hiisi <hiisi@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 24 November 2011 18:43, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Smolt is made for exactly this purpose. Maybe you can see if its
>> possible to have a smolt setup local to your LAN?
>>

> Thank you, Suvayu! That was my first thought. However I couldn't find
> any information on the net. Now I'm working on configuration of
> ocsinventory and I have to say that I like it and highly recommend it
> to everyone interested in the topic.

Although you have found a solution, for the sake of completeness I think
there isn't much of a configuration. Just installing the server and
configuring[1] should be enough. Then from the clients you can do
`smoltSendProfile -s <server_url>`.

Footnotes:

[1] I didn't look how difficult this is. Probably assigning some ports,
adjusting the firewall and starting the server is sufficient.

--
Suvayu

Old 11-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Hiisi

On 24 November 2011 19:14, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
<--SNIP-->

> Although you have found a solution, for the sake of completeness I think
> there isn't much of a configuration. Just installing the server and
> configuring[1] should be enough. Then from the clients you can do
> `smoltSendProfile -s <server_url>`.
>
> Footnotes:
>
> [1] I didn't look how difficult this is. Probably assigning some ports,
> * *adjusting the firewall and starting the server is sufficient.
>
> --
> Suvayu

Maybe you're right. However I didn't mention in initial letter that
some of clients are windows-based. There's only two or three of them
but we need to take them into consideration also. Hence we need
cross-platform solution and smolt only runs on HAL-based systems.
Anyway, thank you very much, Suvayu.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Frank Pikelner

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Hiisi <hiisi@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 24 November 2011 01:15, Frank Pikelner <frank.pikelner@gmail.com> wrote:
> <--SNIP-->
>>
>> You may want to try Versiera as setup would only be a few minutes.
>> Create an account, download and install the agents. It is simple and
>> would collect all the info you require, though may be overkill as a
>> lot of info is collected. If you're concerned about security, remove
>> the agents after you gather all the info you need. You can then export
>> the data to a spreadsheet. I should also disclose that we develop
>> Versiera and it is not open source, though free to use.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Frank
>
> Hi, Frank!
> Could you please provide a link as http://www.versiera.com/ is not
> available a the moment.
> TIA
> --
> Hiisi.
> Registered Linux User #487982. Be counted at: http://counter.li.org/
> --
> Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
> --

There was a firewall change in progress, the http://www.versiera.com/ is up.

Best,

Frank

Old 12-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Hiisi

On 23 November 2011 19:19, Hiisi <hiisi@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi list!
> This maybe is a little off-topic on this list hence the 'OT' in the
> subject line. Sorry for that.
> I need to gather hardware information from computers on a local
> network and store it on a server. The server runs F16, clients run
> different ubuntu versions (11.04 mostly). The information should
> include such things as monitor serial numbers and other details for
> definite identification. The main purpose is inventarisation of all
> the hardware we have in the office. There's about 40 workstations.
> Google suggests use combination of OCS Inventory NG with GLPI [1]. The
> other idea is to write a set of bash scripts and put them on cron on
> workstations (the information should be updated weekly) and main
> script on the server would store information in the database. However
> if there's ready solution I would be happy to use it.
> Any tips?
> REFERENCES
> 1. http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/en/about/features/ocsng-glpi.html

Finally I ended up writing my own solution. On the client side there's
a bash script. It parses lshw output and looks in some other sources
(i.e. /proc/*). On the server side there's a php application that
receives data as json object, parses it using json_decode() and stores
it into MySQL database. Server application is written using
yii-framework. First attempt was to parse json-object produced
directly by lshw command (lshw -json). However this option does not
present on older lshw versions (prior to B.02.15). But the main
problem with json produced by lshw is that its structure (depth)
depends of hardware present on the machine. Hence constructing json
'by hand' I can be sure that its structure is the same on all examined
machines.
I think to open-source it all and upload to sourceforge or somewhere.
I know, there's many inventory systems. But mine is the right one - it
works only on linux ;-) Seriously, it has one more adventure - it
grabs monitor serial and model. Others system I saw on the net
doesn't.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 PM
suvayu ali

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 23:02, Hiisi <hiisi@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Seriously, it has one more adventure - it
> grabs monitor serial and model. Others system I saw on the net
> doesn't.

+1 on this addition.

Maybe at least the model number and native resolution could be a valid
feature request for smolt.

--
Suvayu