Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Lawrence Graves

Default Can't install nvidia drivers

On 12/16/2011 03:00 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On
12/16/2011 01:33 PM, Lawrence Graves wrote:

I will be available after 1:00 pm. I have
a Netgear WNDR3700 dual router

with a guest access capability if that will help. You will have

instruct me as to how to make it work. It will be a lesson for
me and

thank again for your concern in this stressful matter to me.

I'd like to suggest that both of you take this off-list because
the details are very much none of our business.

Sorry sir did not mean to afiend anyone.

--

Lawrence Graves
All things are workable but don't all things work.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Joe Zeff

Sorry sir did not mean to afiend anyone.

It's not a matter of offense. This list is public and I don't think you
want to be telling everybody on it how to connect to your computer.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Kevin Martin

On 12/16/2011 04:40 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/16/2011 02:22 PM, Lawrence Graves wrote:
>> Sorry sir did not mean to afiend anyone.
>
> It's not a matter of offense. This list is public and I don't think you want to be telling everybody on it how to connect to your
> computer.
Yep, I agree. I had actually meant to reply to him with the offer but messed up and replied to the list. We'll take this offline
this afternoon.

Kevin

Old 12-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Kevin Martin

--
>> Lawrence Graves All things are workable but don't all things work.
>>

> sometimes, we second-guess ourselves - I just wanted to be sure you'd picked the correct nVidia driver to try to install, and upon
> checking, you have been trying to install the 290 which is correct:
>
> From the driver page on the nVidia website for your laptop video card:
> Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver
> Version: 290.10

So after working on this all afternoon with Lawrence, it turned out that we needed to fall back to the 280.13 version of the nVidia
akmod from F15 to get it to work. With the 290.10 and the 285.05.09 we kept seeing this in the Xorg.5.log file (don't know why it
was creating the .5 log file but that's another problem for another time):

[ 42.538] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 2D acceleration
[ 43.913] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to get supported display device(s)
[ 43.933] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to query OR info 0x24
[ 43.935] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU Quadro FX 2500M (G71GL) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)

Going back to the 280.13 version fixed this. We also added the following to the xorg.conf file (again, don't know if we needed this
but it was suggested in a forum entry on another forum and we tried it *before* not trying it and since the driver worked after this
we didn't try to revert this):

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "on"
Option "ignoreABI"
EndSection

Kevin

Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Monday 19 December 2011 18:32:56 Kevin Martin wrote:
> > From the driver page on the nVidia website for your laptop video card:
> > Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver
> > Version: 290.10
>
> So after working on this all afternoon with Lawrence, it turned out that we
> needed to fall back to the 280.13 version of the nVidia akmod from F15 to
> get it to work. With the 290.10 and the 285.05.09 we kept seeing this in
> the Xorg.5.log file (don't know why it was creating the .5 log file but
> that's another problem for another time):
>
> [ 42.538] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 2D acceleration
> [ 43.913] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to get supported display device(s)
> [ 43.933] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to query OR info 0x24
> [ 43.935] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU Quadro FX 2500M (G71GL) at PCI:1:0:0
> (GPU-0)

IIRC, in one of the previous incarnations of this particular thread, someone
somewhere mentioned that this is actually a bug in the version 290 of the
nVidia drivers. I remember looking at the bugreport to nVidia (lost the link,
sorry...), and it was recognized as a bug and also closed as FIXED by nVidia.
Of course, the new version of the driver with this fix is yet to be released by
nVidia, and in the meantime users that are being hit by this were advised to
downgrade to version 280.

The problem was that nobody on the list could walk Lawrence through the
downgrading process (as you have probably found out, it's not exactly a thing
a newbie would be able to do easily).

> Going back to the 280.13 version fixed this. We also added the following to
> the xorg.conf file (again, don't know if we needed this but it was
> suggested in a forum entry on another forum and we tried it *before* not
> trying it and since the driver worked after this we didn't try to revert
> this):
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> Option "AIGLX" "on"
> Option "ignoreABI"
> EndSection

The AIGLX option is a good thing if it works, keep it. I wouldn't know about
the ignoreABI option, but maybe it is necessary for the downgraded driver.

Lawrence should keep in mind that he should update his driver to the latest
version as soon as it comes out of nVidia, and that the issue he is having is
probably going to go away on its own... ;-) In the meantime, he should keep
using the 280 driver, and probably keep running the current version of the
kernel, until the new driver arrives.

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 AM
Ian Malone

On 20 December 2011 00:32, Kevin Martin <kevintm@ameritech.net> wrote:

> So after working on this all afternoon with Lawrence, it turned out that we needed to fall back to the 280.13 version of the nVidia
> akmod from F15 to get it to work. *With the 290.10 and the 285.05.09 we kept seeing this in the Xorg.5.log file (don't know why it
> was creating the .5 log file but that's another problem for another time):

I think the .5 is because it tries to start X multiple times if it
fails, and creates a log with a different .N for each attempt.

> [ * *42.538] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 2D acceleration
> [ * *43.913] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to get supported display device(s)
> [ * *43.933] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to query OR info 0x24
> [ * *43.935] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU Quadro FX 2500M (G71GL) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
>

> Going back to the 280.13 version fixed this.

Congratulations both on that hard work paying off, it's been a pretty
long road to get this one solved.

--
imalone

Old 12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Lawrence Graves

On 12/20/2011 12:41 AM, Ian Malone wrote:

[...]

You were certainly apart of this fix. Thanks for all your help and
involvement in getting this resolved. I have sent Nvidia people a
bug as to their problem with 290.10-1. Hopefully they will do
something about when they feel like.
:-)

Old 12-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Kevin Martin

On 12/19/2011 08:01 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Monday 19 December 2011 18:32:56 Kevin Martin wrote:
>>> From the driver page on the nVidia website for your laptop video card:
>>> Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver
>>> Version: 290.10
>> So after working on this all afternoon with Lawrence, it turned out that we
>> needed to fall back to the 280.13 version of the nVidia akmod from F15 to
>> get it to work. With the 290.10 and the 285.05.09 we kept seeing this in
>> the Xorg.5.log file (don't know why it was creating the .5 log file but
>> that's another problem for another time):
>>
>> [ 42.538] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 2D acceleration
>> [ 43.913] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to get supported display device(s)
>> [ 43.933] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to query OR info 0x24
>> [ 43.935] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU Quadro FX 2500M (G71GL) at PCI:1:0:0
>> (GPU-0)
> IIRC, in one of the previous incarnations of this particular thread, someone
> somewhere mentioned that this is actually a bug in the version 290 of the
> nVidia drivers. I remember looking at the bugreport to nVidia (lost the link,
> sorry...), and it was recognized as a bug and also closed as FIXED by nVidia.
> Of course, the new version of the driver with this fix is yet to be released by
> nVidia, and in the meantime users that are being hit by this were advised to
> downgrade to version 280.
>
> The problem was that nobody on the list could walk Lawrence through the
> downgrading process (as you have probably found out, it's not exactly a thing
> a newbie would be able to do easily).
>
>> Going back to the 280.13 version fixed this. We also added the following to
>> the xorg.conf file (again, don't know if we needed this but it was
>> suggested in a forum entry on another forum and we tried it *before* not
>> trying it and since the driver worked after this we didn't try to revert
>> this):
>>
>> Section "ServerFlags"
>> Option "AIGLX" "on"
>> Option "ignoreABI"
>> EndSection
> The AIGLX option is a good thing if it works, keep it. I wouldn't know about
> the ignoreABI option, but maybe it is necessary for the downgraded driver.
>
> Lawrence should keep in mind that he should update his driver to the latest
> version as soon as it comes out of nVidia, and that the issue he is having is
> probably going to go away on its own... ;-) In the meantime, he should keep
> using the 280 driver, and probably keep running the current version of the
> kernel, until the new driver arrives.
>
> Best, :-)
> Marko

Darn, I missed the bugreport on downgrading to the 280 version, that would have made the time spent *hours* less. In any case, he's
working now and we discussed going forward when a new driver comes out. While I tend to agree with going with the newest driver I
will, as I typically do with anybody when discussing these sorts of things, advocate letting *others* be the guinea pigs and wait to
see if anything shakes out after it's released before upgrading to it. He has a working system now and I wouldn't want to see that
go away with another buggy driver.

Thanks for the info Marko. I'll have to check more carefully in the future.

Kevin

Old 12-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Kevin Martin

kernel, until the new driver arrives.

Best, :-)
Marko

> Darn, I missed the bugreport on downgrading to the 280 version, that would have made the time spent *hours* less. In any case, he's
> working now and we discussed going forward when a new driver comes out. While I tend to agree with going with the newest driver I
> will, as I typically do with anybody when discussing these sorts of things, advocate letting *others* be the guinea pigs and wait to
> see if anything shakes out after it's released before upgrading to it. He has a working system now and I wouldn't want to see that
> go away with another buggy driver.
>
> Thanks for the info Marko. I'll have to check more carefully in the future.
>
> Kevin

On another note, Lawrence informed me that his video stopped working again this morning after a reboot. However, he found that
nVidia had a new 275.43 driver out as of 12/14 that, it says, supports his card (mine too for that matter). He's installed it (from
the nVidia website, not rpmfusion) and has working X again.

Kevin