FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Lawrence Graves
 
Default Can't install nvidia drivers

On 12/16/2011 09:17 AM, linux guy wrote:

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Lawrence Graves <lgraves95@gmail.com> wrote:




On 12/16/2011 08:52 AM, linux guy wrote:

The above assuming you are running F16... I haven't followed your
thread closely. Sorry.

Yes. I can not get a graphical screen back once I install nvidia drivers so
I am unable to give you anymore information.




ctrl-alt F2, F3... etc. will get you a command line session.

Have you run this ?
mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)


Linux guy:

Yes.* After I doing all you have ask me to do, I am still not able
to get the nvidia drivers to work. Could I send you a picture of my
screen to your private email address as it will be to large to send
to this email address.

The picture shows you what I get after installation and reboot.

--

Lawrence Graves
All things are workable but don't all things work.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Reindl Harald
 
Default Can't install nvidia drivers

Am 16.12.2011 17:23, schrieb Lawrence Graves:
>
>
> On 12/16/2011 09:17 AM, linux guy wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Lawrence Graves <lgraves95@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 12/16/2011 08:52 AM, linux guy wrote:
>>>
>>> The above assuming you are running F16... I haven't followed your
>>> thread closely. Sorry.
>>>
>>> Yes. I can not get a graphical screen back once I install nvidia drivers so
>>> I am unable to give you anymore information.
>>>
>> ctrl-alt F2, F3... etc. will get you a command line session.
>>
>> Have you run this ?
>> mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
>> dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
> Linux guy:
> Yes. After I doing all you have ask me to do, I am still not able to get the nvidia drivers to work. Could I send
> you a picture of my screen to your private email address as it will be to large to send to this email address.
> The picture shows you what I get after installation and reboot.

jesus christ you have to explain "I did a runlevel drop to 3 now I can't
get rpm -qa | grep nvidia* to work." first because it seems you are
doing randomly things without understanding what they are supposed to do

you have to make sure that the "nouveau" drivers are not get loaded
or unload them manually to test anything

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Lawrence Graves
 
Default Can't install nvidia drivers

On 12/16/2011 09:27 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:



Am 16.12.2011 17:23, schrieb Lawrence Graves:




On 12/16/2011 09:17 AM, linux guy wrote:


On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Lawrence Graves <lgraves95@gmail.com> wrote:



On 12/16/2011 08:52 AM, linux guy wrote:

The above assuming you are running F16... I haven't followed your
thread closely. Sorry.

Yes. I can not get a graphical screen back once I install nvidia drivers so
I am unable to give you anymore information.



ctrl-alt F2, F3... etc. will get you a command line session.

Have you run this ?
mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)


Linux guy:
Yes. After I doing all you have ask me to do, I am still not able to get the nvidia drivers to work. Could I send
you a picture of my screen to your private email address as it will be to large to send to this email address.
The picture shows you what I get after installation and reboot.



jesus christ you have to explain "I did a runlevel drop to 3 now I can't
get rpm -qa | grep nvidia* to work." first because it seems you are
doing randomly things without understanding what they are supposed to do

you have to make sure that the "nouveau" drivers are not get loaded
or unload them manually to test anything








I went to inittab at root and changed the runlevel to 3 because I
was told that sometimes you have to change the runlevel in order to
get the nividia drivers install and then do a nvidia-xconfig to
change it back to runlevel 5. Sorry for the confusion but I am
thoroughly confused about all of this. I wish I sent my laptop to
you. I believe it is something simple but I am not able to define in
tech terms so all of you though you mean well are not able to help
because I am not able to explain or demonstrate what is that's going
on.

--

Lawrence Graves
All things are workable but don't all things work.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Reindl Harald
 
Default Can't install nvidia drivers

Am 16.12.2011 17:35, schrieb Lawrence Graves:
>> jesus christ you have to explain "I did a runlevel drop to 3 now I can't
>> get rpm -qa | grep nvidia* to work." first because it seems you are
>> doing randomly things without understanding what they are supposed to do
>>
>> you have to make sure that the "nouveau" drivers are not get loaded
>> or unload them manually to test anything
>>
>>
>>
> I went to inittab at root and changed the runlevel to 3 because I was told that
> sometimes you have to change the runlevel in order to get the nividia drivers install

"inittab" does nobody interest and also not the system since Fedora 15
this is controlled by "/etc/systemd/system/default.target"

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ stat /etc/systemd/system/default.target
Datei: „/etc/systemd/system/default.target“ -> „/lib/systemd/system/runlevel5.target“
Größe: 36 Blöcke: 0 EA Block: 4096 symbolische Verknüpfung

so if you are unable to get runlevel 3 or even not understand what runlevel 3
is you can not go to the next steps because they MUST fail

init 3 is a console-boot WITHOUT graphical UI and can normally
also achieved at boot time by add " 3" to the command-line in GRUB

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-16-2011, 03:42 PM
linux guy
 
Default Can't install nvidia drivers

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Lawrence Graves <lgraves95@gmail.com> wrote:
> Linux guy:
> Yes.* After I doing all you have ask me to do, I am still not able to get
> the nvidia drivers to work. Could I send you a picture of my screen to your
> private email address as it will be to large to send to this email address.
> The picture shows you what I get after installation and reboot.

I sent you an email.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Kevin Martin
 
Default Can't install nvidia drivers

On 12/16/2011 10:35 AM, Lawrence Graves wrote:






On 12/16/2011 09:27 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:


Am 16.12.2011 17:23, schrieb Lawrence Graves:



On 12/16/2011 09:17 AM, linux guy wrote:


On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Lawrence Graves <lgraves95@gmail.com> wrote:


On 12/16/2011 08:52 AM, linux guy wrote:

The above assuming you are running F16... I haven't followed your
thread closely. Sorry.

Yes. I can not get a graphical screen back once I install nvidia drivers so
I am unable to give you anymore information.



ctrl-alt F2, F3... etc. will get you a command line session.

Have you run this ?
mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)


Linux guy:
Yes. After I doing all you have ask me to do, I am still not able to get the nvidia drivers to work. Could I send
you a picture of my screen to your private email address as it will be to large to send to this email address.
The picture shows you what I get after installation and reboot.


jesus christ you have to explain "I did a runlevel drop to 3 now I can't
get rpm -qa | grep nvidia* to work." first because it seems you are
doing randomly things without understanding what they are supposed to do

you have to make sure that the "nouveau" drivers are not get loaded
or unload them manually to test anything








I went to inittab at root and changed the runlevel to 3 because I
was told that sometimes you have to change the runlevel in order
to get the nividia drivers install and then do a nvidia-xconfig to
change it back to runlevel 5. Sorry for the confusion but I am
thoroughly confused about all of this. I wish I sent my laptop to
you. I believe it is something simple but I am not able to define
in tech terms so all of you though you mean well are not able to
help because I am not able to explain or demonstrate what is
that's going on.

--

Lawrence Graves All things are workable
but don't all things work.






Ok, so you're in runlevel 3 (if you're using F16 then you would do
this, as root, by doing " systemctl isolate runlevel3.target" in a
terminal). Do the following as root:



1). lsmod | grep nouveau



If you see nouveau modules installed then you need to "rmmod
nouveau"



2). Once that is done, do "akmods --force" (this will build and
probably load the nvdia driver).



3). lsmod | grep nvidia



*** If you *don't* see nvidia, try doing a "modprobe nvidia" and
then redo the lsmod in step 3; it should be loaded at that point.



4). assuming all of this has worked, do your "nvidia-xconfig".



5). assuming *that* works, then do "systemctl isolate
runleve5.target".* This *should* put you back to an X-Windows
session using the nvidia driver.



Kevin



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-16-2011, 03:48 PM
linux guy
 
Default Can't install nvidia drivers

Good work, Kevin. I'll leave you lead for a bit.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Andre Robatino
 
Default Can't install nvidia drivers

Lawrence Graves <lgraves95 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> From what I am observing, there is nothing wrong with the nvidia
> drivers and there is nothing wrong with my nvidia card and there is
> nothing wrong with my monitor. What I see happening is after
> installing the nvidia drivers, there is no instructions given to
> install the nvidia drivers. It is not seeing anything to install or
> run on. Where ever this has to happen there lies the problem. I
> don't know who's problem it is.--
> Lawrence Graves
> All things are workable but don't all things work. <at> gmail.com>

From reading the thread I gather you're using F16 with akmod-nvidia from
Rpmfusion, but I couldn't tell whether your system was fully updated. This bug

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=748069

was fixed by updates to selinux-policy* and libsepol.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Lawrence Graves
 
Default Can't install nvidia drivers

On 12/16/2011 01:19 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:

Lawrence Graves <lgraves95 <at> gmail.com> writes:



From what I am observing, there is nothing wrong with the nvidia
drivers and there is nothing wrong with my nvidia card and there is
nothing wrong with my monitor. What I see happening is after
installing the nvidia drivers, there is no instructions given to
install the nvidia drivers. It is not seeing anything to install or
run on. Where ever this has to happen there lies the problem. I
don't know who's problem it is.--
Lawrence Graves
All things are workable but don't all things work. <at> gmail.com>



From reading the thread I gather you're using F16 with akmod-nvidia from
Rpmfusion, but I couldn't tell whether your system was fully updated. This bug

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=748069

was fixed by updates to selinux-policy* and libsepol.





Thank you. My system is up to date.

--

Lawrence Graves
All things are workable but don't all things work.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Lawrence Graves
 
Default Can't install nvidia drivers

On 12/16/2011 01:19 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:

Lawrence Graves <lgraves95 <at> gmail.com> writes:



From what I am observing, there is nothing wrong with the nvidia
drivers and there is nothing wrong with my nvidia card and there is
nothing wrong with my monitor. What I see happening is after
installing the nvidia drivers, there is no instructions given to
install the nvidia drivers. It is not seeing anything to install or
run on. Where ever this has to happen there lies the problem. I
don't know who's problem it is.--
Lawrence Graves
All things are workable but don't all things work. <at> gmail.com>



From reading the thread I gather you're using F16 with akmod-nvidia from
Rpmfusion, but I couldn't tell whether your system was fully updated. This bug

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=748069

was fixed by updates to selinux-policy* and libsepol.




Does anyone have to capability of remotely accessing my laptop? You
have my permission. Just let me know what to do.

--

Lawrence Graves
All things are workable but don't all things work.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:28 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org