Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM
JB

Default Fedora - time to blink

After RH and Fedora statistics, some more results:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-16.html

The purpose of a distro project is to deliver a product (not to maintain a test
system OS), with implied quality, and for a user.

It is time to blink.

JB

Old 11-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Ian Malone

On 23 November 2011 09:57, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> After RH and Fedora statistics, some more results:
>
> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-16.html
>
> The purpose of a distro project is to deliver a product (not to maintain a test
> system OS), with implied quality, and for a user.
>
> It is time to blink.

Aside from a bit of theme bashing basically another critique of Gnome
3. I think F16 has actually improved on F15 in terms of responsiveness
and what works in it. If someone doesn't like the wallpaper they can
change it. The rest... export restrictions, well surprisingly US based
organisations have to comply with US laws, even if you use the GPL it
still has to sit within that. Hebron as a time zone, no idea why
Fedora has it, nor why the author takes particular exception to it,
don't care.

--
imalone

Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Jakub Jelinek

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:08:16AM +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> still has to sit within that. Hebron as a time zone, no idea why
> Fedora has it, nor why the author takes particular exception to it,
> don't care.

That guy clearly should read /usr/share/doc/tzdata-2011n/Theory
which explains why cities are chosen instead of region names and when
new timezones need to be added (as has Asia/Hebron been recently added).
Asia/Jerusalem is different from Asia/Hebron or Asia/Gaza in when DST is or
is not observed, either this year or at least in some years since 1970.
The timezone database uses Hebron instead of Ramallah because Hebron
is bigger, similarly how most of China uses Asia/Shanghai instead
of Asia/Beijing.

Jakub

Old 11-23-2011, 01:38 PM
David

On 11/23/2011 4:57 AM, JB wrote:
> After RH and Fedora statistics, some more results:
>
> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-16.html
>
> The purpose of a distro project is to deliver a product (not to maintain a test
> system OS), with implied quality, and for a user.
>
> It is time to blink.
>
> JB

He returns! The Troll is back.

--

David

Old 11-23-2011, 01:39 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

On 11/23/2011 03:57 AM, JB wrote:

> The purpose of a distro project is to deliver a product (not to maintain a test
> system OS), with implied quality, and for a user.
>
> It is time to blink.
>
> JB

And here I though different distributions were targeted to different
users, and not all the same. I did not know that Fedora was even
considered a product. I thought it was a test bed for new ideas and
software.

Now, I would consider RedHat Linux a product. Ubuntu could also be
considered a product. To a lesser extent CentOS, and other
distributions based on RH Linux are products.

Just my thoughts on the subject...
Mikkel

Old 11-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 12:37 +0100, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:08:16AM +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> > still has to sit within that. Hebron as a time zone, no idea why
> > Fedora has it, nor why the author takes particular exception to it,
> > don't care.
>
> That guy clearly should read /usr/share/doc/tzdata-2011n/Theory
> which explains why cities are chosen instead of region names and when
> new timezones need to be added (as has Asia/Hebron been recently added).
> Asia/Jerusalem is different from Asia/Hebron or Asia/Gaza in when DST is or
> is not observed, either this year or at least in some years since 1970.
> The timezone database uses Hebron instead of Ramallah because Hebron
> is bigger, similarly how most of China uses Asia/Shanghai instead
> of Asia/Beijing.
>
> Jakub

Now there is news! Hebron is bigger than Ramallah? Not really.
Sorry that is really OT. The other information included above was
interesting and informative.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Jakub Jelinek

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 08:41:08AM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > That guy clearly should read /usr/share/doc/tzdata-2011n/Theory
> > which explains why cities are chosen instead of region names and when
> > new timezones need to be added (as has Asia/Hebron been recently added).
> > Asia/Jerusalem is different from Asia/Hebron or Asia/Gaza in when DST is or
> > is not observed, either this year or at least in some years since 1970.
> > The timezone database uses Hebron instead of Ramallah because Hebron
> > is bigger, similarly how most of China uses Asia/Shanghai instead
> > of Asia/Beijing.
>
> Now there is news! Hebron is bigger than Ramallah? Not really.

Of course it is. Read e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Bank
Hebron has population over 160000, Ramallah not even 30000.

Jakub

Old 11-23-2011, 02:08 PM
JB

Jakub Jelinek <jakub <at> redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 08:41:08AM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > That guy clearly should read /usr/share/doc/tzdata-2011n/Theory
> > > which explains why cities are chosen instead of region names and when
> > > new timezones need to be added (as has Asia/Hebron been recently added).
> > > Asia/Jerusalem is different from Asia/Hebron or Asia/Gaza in when DST is or
> > > is not observed, either this year or at least in some years since 1970.

Well, but are you not getting a bit too sophisticated in that neck of
the woods ?
There are towns in the US that do not observe daylight saving times - should
they get their own time zones too ?

JB

Old 11-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Jakub Jelinek

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 03:08:54PM +0000, JB wrote:

> Well, but are you not getting a bit too sophisticated in that neck of
> the woods ?
> There are towns in the US that do not observe daylight saving times - should
> they get their own time zones too ?

Please read the Theory file, of course the regions in the US that do not
observe DST or haven't in some time range since 1970 have also separate time
zone names named after biggest cities in those regions.
See e.g. America/North_Dakota/New_Salem, America/Phoenix, America/Boise,
America/Indiana/Indianapolis, America/Indiana/Marengo,
America/Indiana/Vincennes, America/Indiana/Tell_City,
America/Indiana/Petersburg and several others.

Jakub

Old 11-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 15:54 +0100, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 08:41:08AM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > That guy clearly should read /usr/share/doc/tzdata-2011n/Theory
> > > which explains why cities are chosen instead of region names and when
> > > new timezones need to be added (as has Asia/Hebron been recently added).
> > > Asia/Jerusalem is different from Asia/Hebron or Asia/Gaza in when DST is or
> > > is not observed, either this year or at least in some years since 1970.
> > > The timezone database uses Hebron instead of Ramallah because Hebron
> > > is bigger, similarly how most of China uses Asia/Shanghai instead
> > > of Asia/Beijing.
> >
> > Now there is news! Hebron is bigger than Ramallah? Not really.
>
> Of course it is. Read e.g.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Bank
> Hebron has population over 160000, Ramallah not even 30000.
>
> Jakub

Well you are right. As someone who has spent a lot of time in the area I
was surprised. But you live and learn. Thanks for straightening me out.