Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Mr Dash Four

Default statically-built qemu- on Fedora

Is it possible to get/compile/build static qemu-[arch] similar to the qemu-user-static in Debian?

I am making use of binfmt_misc and need to execute statically built qemu-[arch]. Using the "standard" qemu-[arch] won't work because I am executing this in a chrooted environment where all the libraries qemu needs to link to are outside of the chroot.

I tried to use the qemu source rpm in order to build it (using the --static ./configure option), but unfortunately I can't do it - the .spec file is created in such a way that it cannot be easily adapted for building statically linked qemu executables. Any help with this would be much appreciated, thanks!

Old 11-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Itamar Reis Peixoto

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:51 AM, Mr Dash Four
<mr.dash.four@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to get/compile/build static qemu-[arch] similar to the qemu-user-static in Debian?
>
> I am making use of binfmt_misc and need to execute statically built qemu-[arch]. Using the "standard" qemu-[arch] won't work because I am executing this in a chrooted environment where all the libraries qemu needs to link to are outside of the chroot.
>
> I tried to use the qemu source rpm in order to build it (using the --static ./configure option), but unfortunately I can't do it - the .spec file is created in such a way that it cannot be easily adapted for building statically linked qemu executables. Any help with this would be much appreciated, thanks!

have you tried ldd on it ? ldd will tell what you need to copy into chroot.

--
------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto
msn, google talk: itamar@ispbrasil.com.br
+55 11 4063 5033 (FIXO SP)
+55 34 9158 9329 (TIM)
+55 34 8806 3989 (OI)
+55 34 3221 8599 (FIXO MG)

Old 11-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Mr Dash Four

> have you tried ldd on it ? ldd will tell what you need to copy into chroot.
That would be a futile exercise because a) these files need to be in the ld.conf.d path (/usr/lib[64]) and b) there are multiple dependencies and if I try to unhinge them all I will have to spend *months* doing it! The best way is to build qemu statically.