Old 11-23-2011, 01:07 AM

Default Anyone Else Having Problems with Firefox??

On 11/23/2011 12:42 AM, Fedora User wrote:
> firefox-8.0-3
>
> I am seeing some spectacularly sluggish performance and temporary
> freezes. I hate the idea of moving all my stuff to opera but I am very
> close.

nice to see you state which firefox v/r.

now, next question, is it virgin, or have you screwed it with a add-ons?

if yes, which i imagine you have, click "Help" from menu bar and select
"restart in safe mode". or something to that wording.

when firefox restarts, do you still have problem?

if not, then it is an add-on causing problem and reason devs now have
the selection so that you can troubleshoot.

procedure, restart firefox again - run 'half life' test.

open "Tools > Add-ons > Plugins" disable *all*. normally problems will
not be with plugins, but get them out of way.

next, select "Extensions" tab, disable first half of list. restart firefox.

still problems. open add-ons window again, delete half of remaining.
restart firefox.

repeat until you find problem add-on.

if first time you restarted after disabling problem is gone, run half life
on disabled until problem reappears.

also, here are some links you can read;

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting+Plugins
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting%20extensions%20and%20themes
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Basic%20Troubleshooting
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting+Extensions
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox%20hangs

hth.
--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Fedora User

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 02:07:18 +0000
g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On 11/23/2011 12:42 AM, Fedora User wrote:
> > firefox-8.0-3
> >
> > I am seeing some spectacularly sluggish performance and temporary
> > freezes. I hate the idea of moving all my stuff to opera but I am
> > very close.
>
> nice to see you state which firefox v/r.

Shouldn't be sarcastic. The RPM is listed on the first line of
the original post (firefox-8.03). And, no, this is not virgin. However,
I should have specified that Firefox is causing cpu spikes, sometimes to
100%. Furthermore, the following site opens instantly in Opera while it
takes about five minutes in Firefox: http://www.nysif.com . I find that
very odd.

I recently upgraded from F15 to F16. I am having other problems that
others are not reporting. I might do a clean install.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:07 AM

On 11/23/2011 02:44 AM, Fedora User wrote:
<>

> Shouldn't be sarcastic. The RPM is listed on the first line of
> the original post (firefox-8.03).

there is nothing sarcastic about my statement. my statement was because
you where thoughtful enough to mention which firefox v/r you are using.

because of your 'snotty' remark, and failure to try or mention if you even
bothered to try what i have already suggested, i withdraw from offering
you more help.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Ed Greshko

On 11/23/2011 10:44 AM, Fedora User wrote:
> Shouldn't be sarcastic.

I am sure "g" wasn't being sarcastic. If you go back in the archives it
is a common occurrence that not enough details are give an the next post
after the OP's is "what version of X are you using". So, he was just
noting your attention to detail.

FWIW, you can believe me since I don't even like the guy....his
signature is too long. :-) :-)

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 11-23-2011, 02:18 AM

On 11/23/2011 03:12 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 10:44 AM, Fedora User wrote:
>> Shouldn't be sarcastic.
>
> I am sure "g" wasn't being sarcastic. If you go back in the archives it
> is a common occurrence that not enough details are give an the next post
> after the OP's is "what version of X are you using". So, he was just
> noting your attention to detail.
>
> FWIW, you can believe me since I don't even like the guy....his
> signature is too long. :-) :-)

lshif.

as i have mentioned many times in past and i am sure there will be more
times in future, my sig has helped many new linux users and has brought
many from 'dark side'. 8-P

take care. have a good one, ed.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:20 AM
Patrick Lists

On 23-11-11 03:44, Fedora User wrote:
> 100%. Furthermore, the following site opens instantly in Opera while it
> takes about five minutes in Firefox: http://www.nysif.com . I find that
> very odd.

Did a quick test and there is a delay but that is because the DNS
queries for that site get very slow responses. Once the DNS queries are
resolved the site loads fast. Maybe Opera has a DNS cache which makes it
load faster? Or maybe Opera only uses IPv4 and Firefox uses IPv4 & IPv6
DNS queries?

Regards,
Patrick

Old 11-23-2011, 02:32 AM
Dave Stevens

Quoting Patrick Lists <fedora-list@puzzled.xs4all.nl>:

> On 23-11-11 03:44, Fedora User wrote:
>> 100%. Furthermore, the following site opens instantly in Opera while it
>> takes about five minutes in Firefox: http://www.nysif.com . I find that
>> very odd.
>
> Did a quick test and there is a delay but that is because the DNS
> queries for that site get very slow responses. Once the DNS queries are
> resolved the site loads fast. Maybe Opera has a DNS cache which makes it
> load faster? Or maybe Opera only uses IPv4 and Firefox uses IPv4 & IPv6
> DNS queries?

my load time on an ADSL line was maybe 5 seconds tops

Dave

> Regards,
> Patrick

It is told that such are the aerodynamics and wing loading of the
bumblebee that, in principle, it cannot fly...if all this be
true...life among bumblebees must bear a remarkable resemblance to
life in the United States.

-- John Kenneth Galbraith, in American Capitalism: The Concept of
Countervailing Power

Old 11-23-2011, 03:02 AM
Fedora User

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 03:07:11 +0000
g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On 11/23/2011 02:44 AM, Fedora User wrote:
> <>
>
> > Shouldn't be sarcastic. The RPM is listed on the first line of
> > the original post (firefox-8.03).
>
> there is nothing sarcastic about my statement. my statement was
> because you where thoughtful enough to mention which firefox v/r you
> are using.

My apologies. I stand corrected. In any event, I backed up my bookmarks
uninstalled, removed the mozilla directory and reinstalled. That seems
to have fixed the problem. I realized that I have archived and moved
that directory to a couple of computers and it probably dates back IIRC
to F9.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:18 AM

On 11/23/2011 04:02 AM, Fedora User wrote:
<>

> My apologies. I stand corrected.

accepted.

> In any event, I backed up my bookmarks uninstalled, removed the mozilla
> directory and reinstalled.
>
> That seems to have fixed the problem.

"seems" is a magic word here.

so, back to my first post, did you run thru procedure before reinstalling?

you still could run into problem again.

did you run a fresh install of add-ons you originally had?

add-ons are v/r critical. in add-ons window, you will/should see a
button for checking compatibility or it is under 'tools' or 'help' menu.
this needs to be done when ever you upgrade.

mozilla is in a 'hoop jumping' phase trying to keep up with google chrome
releases and they are weak to none about making releases for older versions.

because of this, the 'half life' procedure is used to find if a problem is
caused by non compatibility.

due to all of the changing, some of the links i provided before may no
longer exist.

therefore, i you have problems with extensions, give this link a read.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting%20extensions%20and%20themes

for access to new troubleshooting, check this link for documented problems;

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/home

> I realized that I have archived and moved that directory to a couple of
> computers and it probably dates back IIRC to F9.

if you did not update add-ons with upgrading, you could have had add-ons
that where not computable with later releases. another reason for 'half life'.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.