Old 03-24-2008, 10:14 PM
kevin kempter

Default Linux group question

Hi List;

I have 2 users which both have need to access various database related
files.I've created a new group called 'dba'. Most of the time I want
the users to create files with their default user:group perms, however
when I'm working on these sql / db files I want the files to be
created with the default user as the owner but dba as the group.

Is there a Linux command that will switch my primary group only until
I log out of a terminal or session ?

Thanks in advance...

Old 03-24-2008, 10:23 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Please don't hijack existing threads to talk about unrelated topics.
This question should be a new thread.

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 17:14 -0600, kevin kempter wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I have 2 users which both have need to access various database related
> files.I've created a new group called 'dba'. Most of the time I want
> the users to create files with their default user:group perms, however
> when I'm working on these sql / db files I want the files to be
> created with the default user as the owner but dba as the group.

The standard way of doing this is for the DB software to run setgid as
the dba group. Since you don't say what the DB software is, it's hard to
say if that's appropriate in your case.

poc

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 AM
kevin kempter

Please don't hijack existing threads to talk about unrelated topics.
This question should be a new thread.

I have 2 users which both have need to access various database
related

files.I've created a new group called 'dba'. Most of the time I want
the users to create files with their default user:group perms,
however

when I'm working on these sql / db files I want the files to be
created with the default user as the owner but dba as the group.

The standard way of doing this is for the DB software to run setgid as
the dba group. Since you don't say what the DB software is, it's
hard to

say if that's appropriate in your case.

poc

Thanks for the info.

FYI - I did not hijack a thread - I started this thread.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:55 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 19:06 -0600, kevin kempter wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > Please don't hijack existing threads to talk about unrelated topics.
> > This question should be a new thread.
> >
> > On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 17:14 -0600, kevin kempter wrote:
> >> Hi List;
> >>
> >> I have 2 users which both have need to access various database
> >> related
> >> files.I've created a new group called 'dba'. Most of the time I want
> >> the users to create files with their default user:group perms,
> >> however
> >> when I'm working on these sql / db files I want the files to be
> >> created with the default user as the owner but dba as the group.
> >
> > The standard way of doing this is for the DB software to run setgid as
> > the dba group. Since you don't say what the DB software is, it's
> > hard to
> > say if that's appropriate in your case.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Thanks for the info.
>
> FYI - I did not hijack a thread - I started this thread.

No, you did hijack the thread. Simply changing the Subject line is not
enough to start a new thread. Threading is determined by the In-Reply-To
mail header, so any reply to a list message is regarded as part of the
same thread, even if the Subject is completely different.

Take a look at the list archive at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-March/thread.html and
search for your original message. You'll see it's nested within the
conversation about "Fedora 8 won't remember bluetooth mouse, hidd not
running by default", meaning you created it by replying to one of those
messages instead of by creating a new one. That's what hijacking means,
and people object to it precisely because it screws up the layout of
conversations (threads) in many mail clients.

poc

Old 03-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Richard England

kevin kempter wrote:

Hi List;

I have 2 users which both have need to access various database related
files.I've created a new group called 'dba'. Most of the time I want
the users to create files with their default user:group perms, however
when I'm working on these sql / db files I want the files to be
created with the default user as the owner but dba as the group.

Is there a Linux command that will switch my primary group only until
I log out of a terminal or session ?

Thanks in advance...

Don't hijack the thread. If you have a new issue it is best to send
original email directly to fedora-list@redhat.com rather than respond to
another email message and change the subject.

From the command line you can use "newgrp gba". This will change the
primary group for the user in that session to "gba".

Take a look at "man newgrp" for more explanation.

I don't know if there is a way to do this from the GUI or not. I did
not find one in the short search I did.

~~R

Old 03-25-2008, 01:54 AM
Matthew Saltzman

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 17:14 -0600, kevin kempter wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I have 2 users which both have need to access various database related
> files.I've created a new group called 'dba'. Most of the time I want
> the users to create files with their default user:group perms, however
> when I'm working on these sql / db files I want the files to be
> created with the default user as the owner but dba as the group.
>
> Is there a Linux command that will switch my primary group only until
> I log out of a terminal or session ?

Set the directory's sgid bit with chmod g+s <directory>.

Google for "user private groups" for more info.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu