Old 03-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Osama Mahdi

Default wireless lan problem

Hi guys,

When I activate my wireless lan using:

ifup wlan0 i got the following error:

Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such file or directory.

and when I tried to change the Mod or the Encoding I got the following
error:

#iwconfig wlan0 mode auto
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

iwconfig wlan0 enc off
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such file or directory.

My wireless lan card is Intel Pro Wireless LAN 4965 AG , and the device
was working probably two days ago, so that I think there is nothing
wrong with the device driver. Also now i can find many networks with
iwlist scan but i can not connect to any one of them even my network.

I also checked the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 but I
could not find any thing related to the encoding:

# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=wlan0
HWADDR=00:13:e8:88:1e:23
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=
DOMAIN=
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
IPV6INIT=no
ESSID='MSUNet Wireless Guest'
CHANNEL=11
MODE=Auto
RATE=Auto
NM_CONTROLLED=no

any suggestions to solve this problem please ?

thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 PM
"John W. Linville"

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 06:19:06PM -0400, Osama Mahdi wrote:

> #iwconfig wlan0 mode auto
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

You probably want "managed" mode.

Hth!

John
--
John W. Linville
linville@redhat.com

Old 03-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Timothy Murphy

Osama Mahdi wrote:

> When I activate my wireless lan using:
>
> ifup wlan0 i got the following error:
>
> Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
> SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such file or directory.
>
> and when I tried to change the Mod or the Encoding I got the following
> error:
>
> #iwconfig wlan0 mode auto
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

I'm no WiFi expert, but if ifup doesn't work
doesn't that mean the device is not up,
in which case iwconfig probably will not apply?

What do "ifconfig wlan0" and "iwconfig wlan0" (run as root) say?

Incidentally, my experience is that "iwconfig <if>" will return
information about the last successful use of <if>,
even if <if> is not currently in action,
as long as the device exists.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Old 03-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Timothy Murphy

Osama Mahdi wrote:

> but if the device is not in up state, why when I used ( iwlist scan ) I
> was able to find many networks? I think that mean the device is
> definetly up but it could not connect to the wireless network.

Certainly the device must be up if iwlist scan returns something.
I only thought it was not up because you said ifup failed.

> do u know the system file where the wireless encoding configuration is
> stored? I think this will help solving my problem.

I think it depends very much if you are using NetworkManager or not.

If you are not, then the information is stored
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
(in your case), I believe.