Old 11-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Jim

Default Printer problem Samsung CLX-3170

Fedora 16
Printer has been working fine in Fedora 14, 15.
F16 doesn't like it.
I'am not getting any Selinux errors.

Printer state:
Idle - /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc failed

/var/log/messages

Nov 21 16:51:48 BigOne kernel: [ 1582.570767] rastertosamsung[13644]
general protection ip:4383b700 sp:bf8e4d78 error:0 in
libc-2.14.90.so[43701000+1a5000]
Nov 21 16:51:48 BigOne abrtd: Directory 'ccpp-2011-11-21-16:51:48-13644'
creation detected
Nov 21 16:51:48 BigOne abrt[13649]: saved core dump of pid 13644
(/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc) to
/var/spool/abrt/ccpp-2011-11-21-16:51:48-13644 (1626112 bytes)
Nov 21 16:51:48 BigOne abrtd: Executable
'/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc' doesn't belong to any package
Nov 21 16:51:48 BigOne abrtd: Corrupted or bad dump
/var/spool/abrt/ccpp-2011-11-21-16:51:48-13644 (res:2), deleting

Old 11-22-2011, 07:36 AM
mike cloaked

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Jim <binarynut@comcast.net> wrote:
> Fedora 16
> Printer has been working fine in Fedora 14, 15.
> F16 doesn't like it.
> I'am not getting any Selinux errors.
>

> Printer state:
> Idle - /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc failed

I can't tell from the messages output you posted if your machine is
x86_64 or not but I had a very very similar issue with a Samsung
scx4500w when I installed f16.

It turned out that the copy of the file "rastertosamsungspl" was a 32
bit version and I had installed a 64 bit system - worth checking ?

Also I notice that the name of your file is "rastertosamsungsplc"
whereas it should be "rastertosamsungspl" i.e. you have an additional
letter "c" at the end of the filename - if your file is really ending
in a "c" then check whether you have the correct 32 or 64 bit file -
if not then make sure that where you defined the file in the printer
setup is correct - if not then redefine it with the correct filename.
--
mike c

Old 11-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Jim

On 11/22/2011 03:36 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Jim<binarynut@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Fedora 16
>> Printer has been working fine in Fedora 14, 15.
>> F16 doesn't like it.
>> I'am not getting any Selinux errors.
>>

>> Printer state:
>> Idle - /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc failed
>>
> I can't tell from the messages output you posted if your machine is
> x86_64 or not but I had a very very similar issue with a Samsung
> scx4500w when I installed f16.
>
> It turned out that the copy of the file "rastertosamsungspl" was a 32
> bit version and I had installed a 64 bit system - worth checking ?
>
> Also I notice that the name of your file is "rastertosamsungsplc"
> whereas it should be "rastertosamsungspl" i.e. you have an additional
> letter "c" at the end of the filename - if your file is really ending
> in a "c" then check whether you have the correct 32 or 64 bit file -
> if not then make sure that where you defined the file in the printer
> setup is correct - if not then redefine it with the correct filename.
I have a 32 bit box,
How do I determine wether the rastertosamungsplc is 32 or 64 bit?
In usr/lib/cups/filter/ there is a rastertosamsungsplc and a
rastertosamsungspl .
This is the same driver that I used Fedora 14 and 15 .

Old 11-23-2011, 01:34 PM
mike cloaked

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Jim <binarynut@comcast.net> wrote:

>> I can't tell from the messages output you posted if your machine is
>> x86_64 or not but I had a very very similar issue with a Samsung
>> scx4500w when I installed f16.
>>
>> It turned out that the copy of the file "rastertosamsungspl" was a 32
>> bit version and I had installed a 64 bit system - worth checking ?
>>
>> Also I notice that the name of your file is "rastertosamsungsplc"
>> whereas it should be "rastertosamsungspl" i.e. you have an additional
>> letter "c" at the end of the filename - if your file is really ending
>> in a "c" then check whether you have the correct 32 or 64 bit file -
>> if not then make sure that where you defined the file in the printer
>> setup is correct - if not then redefine it with the correct filename.
> I have a 32 bit box,
> How do I determine wether the rastertosamungsplc is 32 or *64 bit?
> In usr/lib/cups/filter/ there is a rastertosamsungsplc and a
> rastertosamsungspl .
> This is the same driver that I used Fedora 14 and 15 .

OK - the answer as to which of 32 or 64 bit is where you got the file
from? Presumably it is from the unified driver set from Samsung - in
which case that will have difference directories for the 32bit and 64
bit file sets - one thing you can do is go back there and check the
total file size - the 32 and 64 bit raster files are different sizes -
which does yours match?

Secondly you did not answer the question about using the correct name
for the file when you defined the printer in Fedora - unless you
changed the name of the actual file then the fail message indicated
that you had the wrong filename - if course if you define it and point
to a non-existent file then it is bound to fail! Check that again and
see if that is the source of the problem.

--
mike c

Old 11-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Jim

On 11/23/2011 09:34 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Jim<binarynut@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>> I can't tell from the messages output you posted if your machine is
>>> x86_64 or not but I had a very very similar issue with a Samsung
>>> scx4500w when I installed f16.
>>>
>>> It turned out that the copy of the file "rastertosamsungspl" was a 32
>>> bit version and I had installed a 64 bit system - worth checking ?
>>>
>>> Also I notice that the name of your file is "rastertosamsungsplc"
>>> whereas it should be "rastertosamsungspl" i.e. you have an additional
>>> letter "c" at the end of the filename - if your file is really ending
>>> in a "c" then check whether you have the correct 32 or 64 bit file -
>>> if not then make sure that where you defined the file in the printer
>>> setup is correct - if not then redefine it with the correct filename.
>> I have a 32 bit box,
>> How do I determine wether the rastertosamungsplc is 32 or 64 bit?
>> In usr/lib/cups/filter/ there is a rastertosamsungsplc and a
>> rastertosamsungspl .
>> This is the same driver that I used Fedora 14 and 15 .
> OK - the answer as to which of 32 or 64 bit is where you got the file
> from? Presumably it is from the unified driver set from Samsung - in
> which case that will have difference directories for the 32bit and 64
> bit file sets - one thing you can do is go back there and check the
> total file size - the 32 and 64 bit raster files are different sizes -
> which does yours match?
>
> Secondly you did not answer the question about using the correct name
> for the file when you defined the printer in Fedora - unless you
> changed the name of the actual file then the fail message indicated
> that you had the wrong filename - if course if you define it and point
> to a non-existent file then it is bound to fail! Check that again and
> see if that is the source of the problem.

THe unifiedLinuxDriver is the one I,m using ,it is the SAME driver that
I have installed on 32 bit boxes in Fedora 14 an 15 for this CLX3175FN
printer and now a 32 bit box in Fedora 16.

The only thing I put into the setup was:

this printer, the same IP used on F14, F15)

The rest was done in the setup.

THanks Mike for your help on this problem.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Kevin Martin

On 11/23/2011 11:23 AM, Jim wrote:

>>> I have a 32 bit box,
>>> How do I determine wether the rastertosamungsplc is 32 or 64 bit?
>>> In usr/lib/cups/filter/ there is a rastertosamsungsplc and a
>>> rastertosamsungspl .
>>> This is the same driver that I used Fedora 14 and 15 .
>> OK - the answer as to which of 32 or 64 bit is where you got the file
>> from? Presumably it is from the unified driver set from Samsung - in
>> which case that will have difference directories for the 32bit and 64
>> bit file sets - one thing you can do is go back there and check the
>> total file size - the 32 and 64 bit raster files are different sizes -
>> which does yours match?
>>
>> Secondly you did not answer the question about using the correct name
>> for the file when you defined the printer in Fedora - unless you
>> changed the name of the actual file then the fail message indicated
>> that you had the wrong filename - if course if you define it and point
>> to a non-existent file then it is bound to fail! Check that again and
>> see if that is the source of the problem.
>>

> THe unifiedLinuxDriver is the one I,m using ,it is the SAME driver that
> I have installed on 32 bit boxes in Fedora 14 an 15 for this CLX3175FN
> printer and now a 32 bit box in Fedora 16.
>
> The only thing I put into the setup was:

> this printer, the same IP used on F14, F15)
>
> The rest was done in the setup.
>
> THanks Mike for your help on this problem.
Really? The ip you have in the router is 192.168.000.005, not 192.168.0.5? Correct me if I'm wrong but those two addresses don't
equate do they?

Kevin

Old 11-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Jim

On 11/23/2011 12:31 PM, Kevin Martin wrote:

> On 11/23/2011 11:23 AM, Jim wrote:

>>> OK - the answer as to which of 32 or 64 bit is where you got the file
>>> from? Presumably it is from the unified driver set from Samsung - in
>>> which case that will have difference directories for the 32bit and 64
>>> bit file sets - one thing you can do is go back there and check the
>>> total file size - the 32 and 64 bit raster files are different sizes -
>>> which does yours match?
>>>
>>> Secondly you did not answer the question about using the correct name
>>> for the file when you defined the printer in Fedora - unless you
>>> changed the name of the actual file then the fail message indicated
>>> that you had the wrong filename - if course if you define it and point
>>> to a non-existent file then it is bound to fail! Check that again and
>>> see if that is the source of the problem.
>>>

>> THe unifiedLinuxDriver is the one I,m using ,it is the SAME driver that
>> I have installed on 32 bit boxes in Fedora 14 an 15 for this CLX3175FN
>> printer and now a 32 bit box in Fedora 16.
>>
>> The only thing I put into the setup was:

>> this printer, the same IP used on F14, F15)
>>
>> The rest was done in the setup.
>>
>> THanks Mike for your help on this problem.
> Really? The ip you have in the router is 192.168.000.005, not 192.168.0.5? Correct me if I'm wrong but those two addresses don't
> equate do they?
>
> Kevin
THat is the way it is shown in the router, but if you Ping that IP it is
shown as 192.168.0.5, It is the way this Motorola Modem/Router
treats the IP.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Kevin Martin

On 11/23/2011 11:50 AM, Jim wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 12:31 PM, Kevin Martin wrote:

>>> THe unifiedLinuxDriver is the one I,m using ,it is the SAME driver that
>>> I have installed on 32 bit boxes in Fedora 14 an 15 for this CLX3175FN
>>> printer and now a 32 bit box in Fedora 16.
>>>
>>> The only thing I put into the setup was:

>>> this printer, the same IP used on F14, F15)
>>>
>>> The rest was done in the setup.
>>>
>>> THanks Mike for your help on this problem.
>> Really? The ip you have in the router is 192.168.000.005, not 192.168.0.5? Correct me if I'm wrong but those two addresses don't
>> equate do they?
>>
>> Kevin
> THat is the way it is shown in the router, but if you Ping that IP it is
> shown as 192.168.0.5, It is the way this Motorola Modem/Router
> treats the IP.
I wonder if you set the IP in the printer config to 192.168.0.5 if anything would change.

Kevin

Old 11-23-2011, 06:47 PM
mike cloaked

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Jim <binarynut@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> I have a 32 bit box,
>>> How do I determine wether the rastertosamungsplc is 32 or *64 bit?
>>> In usr/lib/cups/filter/ there is a rastertosamsungsplc and a
>>> rastertosamsungspl .
>>> This is the same driver that I used Fedora 14 and 15 .
>> OK - the answer as to which of 32 or 64 bit is where you got the file
>> from? *Presumably it is from the unified driver set from Samsung - in
>> which case that will have difference directories for the 32bit and 64
>> bit file sets - one thing you can do is go back there and check the
>> total file size - the 32 and 64 bit raster files are different sizes -
>> which does yours match?
>>
>> Secondly you did not answer the question about using the correct name
>> for the file when you defined the printer in Fedora - unless you
>> changed the name of the actual file then the fail message indicated
>> that you had the wrong filename - if course if you define it and point
>> to a non-existent file then it is bound to fail! *Check that again and
>> see if that is the source of the problem.
>>

> THe unifiedLinuxDriver is the one I,m using ,it is the SAME driver that
> I have installed on *32 bit boxes in Fedora 14 an 15 for this CLX3175FN
> printer and now a 32 bit box in Fedora 16.
>
> The only thing I put into the setup was:

> this printer, the same IP used on F14, F15)
>
> The rest was done in the setup.
>
> THanks Mike for your help on this problem.

Can you try to print again - and send the error exactly as it appears please -

--
mike c

Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Jim

On 11/23/2011 12:23 PM, Jim wrote:

>>> I have a 32 bit box,
>>> How do I determine wether the rastertosamungsplc is 32 or 64 bit?
>>> In usr/lib/cups/filter/ there is a rastertosamsungsplc and a
>>> rastertosamsungspl .
>>> This is the same driver that I used Fedora 14 and 15 .
>> OK - the answer as to which of 32 or 64 bit is where you got the file
>> from? Presumably it is from the unified driver set from Samsung - in
>> which case that will have difference directories for the 32bit and 64
>> bit file sets - one thing you can do is go back there and check the
>> total file size - the 32 and 64 bit raster files are different sizes -
>> which does yours match?
>>
>> Secondly you did not answer the question about using the correct name
>> for the file when you defined the printer in Fedora - unless you
>> changed the name of the actual file then the fail message indicated
>> that you had the wrong filename - if course if you define it and point
>> to a non-existent file then it is bound to fail! Check that again and
>> see if that is the source of the problem.
>>

> THe unifiedLinuxDriver is the one I,m using ,it is the SAME driver
> that I have installed on 32 bit boxes in Fedora 14 an 15 for this
> CLX3175FN printer and now a 32 bit box in Fedora 16.
>
> The only thing I put into the setup was:

> this printer, the same IP used on F14, F15)
>
> The rest was done in the setup.
>
> THanks Mike for your help on this problem.
Mike I downloaded new Unified drivers from Samsung and installed and
still get the same error message.

The driver that is recommend during the install, and only driver
available is Samsung CLX-3170 Series (SPL-C)

Which I think explains the rastertosamsungsplc